35 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

John Furlong, the CEO of Vanoc, have been accused of physical, sexual, and verbal abuse of children in a residential school he taught at in 1969 as a young man in Burns Lake, BC.
The story came out in the Georgia Straight, which he is now suing.

http://www.vancouver...9956/story.html

#2 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

As public denials go, that one sounded fairly convincing.
Posted Image

#3 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

I expect him to make minced meat out of his false accusers.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

Any accusation that has the phrase "pay us and we'll go away" is inherently suspicious.
I hope these accusations are indeed false.

Edited by Jagermeister, 27 September 2012 - 09:58 PM.

Posted Image

#5 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Those charges are serious criminal offenses. If they are true, why has the RCMP not launched an investigation into them? Or have the RCMP looked into them and decided not to lay charges.

The Georgia Straight claimed it has 8 affadavits from former students alleging the abuse perpetrated by John Furlong.

#6 ThaManbeast

ThaManbeast

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I know somebody who gave that a guy a headbutt. And that feels awesome!

In Benning We Trust

#7 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Why did they have to wait 43 years to tell the RCMP about this again?

**Just to clarify, I am not saying the accusations are false, but the fact that they waited almost half a century to make the accusations is suspicious enough...**

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#8 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Perhaps folks should read the Georgia Strait article as well? It will give a little more information about the allegations.

Spoiler

And another article about John Furlong by this same 'journalist' that came out in April 2011

Spoiler

After reading these pieces, do you still think Laura Robinson doesn't have an agenda?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 27 September 2012 - 10:28 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#9 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

I read the Georgia Straight article earlier when the news broke, and the timing is simply suspicious at best. While assault victims do speak out later than other crimes (some blame it on themselves), something doesn't add up.

Hopefully, the investigation is not tainted by anything, and we'll be able to determine innocence of guilt. 9 lives (the 8 former students and Furlong) hang in the balance.

#10 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

The Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

The timing is irrelevant. The accusations were originally levelled in 2011, and I don't see any how the timing gives any sort of advantage anyway.

#11 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Love John Furlong, highly doubt this is true.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#12 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Right now, CKNW's Dan Russell is discussing the case.

One of the interesting question is why did he did not mention his Burns Lake work experience in his auto-biography. He entirely omitted it. He just talked about arriving in Canada for the first time in Edmonton.

#13 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Perhaps folks should read the Georgia Strait article as well? It will give a little more information about the allegations.

Spoiler

And another article about John Furlong by this same 'journalist' that came out in April 2011

Spoiler

After reading these pieces, do you still think Laura Robinson doesn't have an agenda?

Every journalist has an agenda. It doesn't make them necessarily bad people.

It's shocking how allegations like this catch up to individuals much later in life, after he or she may have thought it was long forgotten. Let's hope this wasn't true - it would have meant a number of victims who suffered silently for all these years.

As for timing, let's face it - there's no good time. At least these victims waited till after the Vancouver Olympics were done. It would have tarnished our Olympics for sure.

If it's true, shame on Furlong. Some people don't deserve to be in the position that they are in now.

They should do a serious investigation on it.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#14 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

I find it quite disgusting and appaling at how people jump the gun to automatically assume the alleged victims want money.

First off, they waited this long because most of these individuals were 11 or 12 at the time and tried to suppress what happend. This is not shocking. I have a couple of friends who have done research on native individuals and what has led them to be in the Criminal Justice System as much as they are. One of the first things they say is that a lot of native people suppress bad things that happen to them simply because they do not believe they will be trusted. Especially when the incidents occur on the reserve. Thiis leads to drug addiction/alcohol abuse/etc and then crime to feed these addictions.

In addition, it is mentioned in the Georgia Straight article that these individuals did try to reach Furlong. Furlong ignored all of these gestures , except one which occured prior to the Olympics.

Third, I do not care if any journalist has an agenda. Someone doesnt write an investigative piece that clearly took months to get facts about just because they have an agenda. The owners of the Georgia Straight would not put extensive resources if they believed something was nothing more than a "personal agenda".

Four, the biggest question to ask is why did Furlong say he moved to Canada in 74 in his book when he actually moved in 1969. Also the fact that individuals who hired Furlong onto Vanoc can not answer what his employment record was and what research they did clearly brings about more questions.

Furlong can admantly deny whatever the heck he wants. However, where there is smoke there tends to be fire. I just can not logically crasp why Furlong would hide his first 5 years in Canada in his book if he had nothing to hide

Edited by canuckbeliever, 27 September 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#15 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

John Furlong, the CEO of Vanoc, have been accused of physical, sexual, and verbal abuse of children in a residential school he taught at in 1969 as a young man in Burns Lake, BC.
The story came out in the Georgia Straight, which he is now suing.

http://www.vancouver...9956/story.html

I might be missing something, but from what I've read about this the original accusations were of just mental and physical abuse that came out a couple years back, and now he is being accused of sexual abuse as well. Am I right?

140an3r.jpg

#16 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Last point on this. Robinson has eight sworn affidavits. I do not think eight people would lie in affidavit just to get "money". They know what the allegations entail and it will be very interesting to see how this plays out

#17 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

I might be missing something, but from what I've read about this the original accusations were of just mental and physical abuse that came out a couple years back, and now he is being accused of sexual abuse as well. Am I right?

It is still mental and physical. That is what the Georgia Straight article says

#18 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

The Georgia Straight did not mention sexual abuse. They only mentioned physical and verbal abuse. John Furlong, during his press conference, said the allegations now include sexual abuse.

#19 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

I find it quite disgusting and appaling at how people jump the gun to automatically assume the alleged victims want money.

Who is doing that? Maybe I missed a post, but I don't see anyone here claiming that. Other than maybe Jagermeister, but I think he was referring to the comment from Furlong's press conference when he claimed that years ago he was “advised that for a payment it could be made to go away”.
Posted Image

#20 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

The Georgia Straight did not mention sexual abuse. They only mentioned physical and verbal abuse. John Furlong, during his press conference, said the allegations now include sexual abuse.

K, thats what I thought , just sounds really strange to me. You would think if they were going to make allegations they would have brought up the sexual ones with the other accusations a couple years ago.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 27 September 2012 - 11:43 PM.

140an3r.jpg

#21 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

Who is doing that? Maybe I missed a post, but I don't see anyone here claiming that. Other than maybe Jagermeister, but I think he was referring to the comment from Furlong's press conference when he claimed that years ago he was “advised that for a payment it could be made to go away”.

Pretty much.
If you really want to make a legitimate case (especially one that will undoubtebly be high profile) going to the accused and saying you'll go away for money instantly brings up credibility issues in my eyes.
Of course a lot of horrible things happened in Residential Schools, so it should still be looked in to.

Edited by Jagermeister, 27 September 2012 - 11:44 PM.

Posted Image

#22 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

I don't exactly understand what type of "school" it is he worked at but if it's anything close to being a residential school that might be why he chose to omit that period of his life from his book. Residential schools are a black mark on Canadian history and having the person who was in charge of the Olympics be associated with them, whether he committed abuse or not, wouldn't go over well.

Thanks to BertuzziBabe for posting those other articles from that reporter. I don't know if the reporter's intentions were malicious but she might have just realized the inconsistency and failure to acknowledge his past involvement at the school and started digging while at the same time being stonewalled by Furlong.

This story won't go away now. I'll wait to reserve judgment on John Furlong. In any case it was a mistake omitting a five year period of his life from the book but that doesn't automatically make him guilty either.

#23 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

There was a report from an Ontario news outlet alleging the "sexual' part.No link but that is what was on Pratt's show.
Dan Russell really put a good question out regarding Furlong saying nothing eventful happened in Burns Lake so that's why he didn't mention it.
Russell points out both of Furlong's kids were born there and he may have met his wife there. I'd think that to be memorable.
Also as to the "money will make it go aweay "bit, the reporter who broke the story says that particular complaintant was not used for the stories or affidavits.

Supposedly Bob Macken has a vid on his site of Furlong flipping out on him in regards to a question.

#24 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

First off, they waited this long because most of these individuals were 11 or 12 at the time and tried to suppress what happend. This is not shocking. I have a couple of friends who have done research on native individuals and what has led them to be in the Criminal Justice System as much as they are. One of the first things they say is that a lot of native people suppress bad things that happen to them simply because they do not believe they will be trusted. Especially when the incidents occur on the reserve. Thiis leads to drug addiction/alcohol abuse/etc and then crime to feed these addictions.

In addition, it is mentioned in the Georgia Straight article that these individuals did try to reach Furlong. Furlong ignored all of these gestures , except one which occured prior to the Olympics.

Third, I do not care if any journalist has an agenda. Someone doesnt write an investigative piece that clearly took months to get facts about just because they have an agenda. The owners of the Georgia Straight would not put extensive resources if they believed something was nothing more than a "personal agenda".

Four, the biggest question to ask is why did Furlong say he moved to Canada in 74 in his book when he actually moved in 1969. Also the fact that individuals who hired Furlong onto Vanoc can not answer what his employment record was and what research they did clearly brings about more questions.

Furlong can admantly deny whatever the heck he wants. However, where there is smoke there tends to be fire. I just can not logically crasp why Furlong would hide his first 5 years in Canada in his book if he had nothing to hide

It`s a shame you used that as your opening line because it completely undermines the rest of your post. Two sides of the same coin have more in common that one would think despite facing opposite directions.

It is only an accusation at this point, whether it be defamation of character or a legitimate charge. You are not investigating the case, so save the judgement and assumptions for the professionals, until the facts come out.

#25 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:29 AM

There was a report from an Ontario news outlet alleging the "sexual' part.No link but that is what was on Pratt's show.
Dan Russell really put a good question out regarding Furlong saying nothing eventful happened in Burns Lake so that's why he didn't mention it.
Russell points out both of Furlong's kids were born there and he may have met his wife there. I'd think that to be memorable.
Also as to the "money will make it go aweay "bit, the reporter who broke the story says that particular complaintant was not used for the stories or affidavits.

Supposedly Bob Macken has a vid on his site of Furlong flipping out on him in regards to a question.

And we have a winner. She also said on the Sean Leslier show that she is unsure how credible that individual is that is why she didnt mention him except for the meeting that Furlong and the individual had which FOR SURE occured

#26 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

That comment was out of line by Furlong because that individual isnt a part of the 8 sworn affidavits. As I mentioned in a post above (which obviously you didnt see as I just posted it) the reporter was on the Sean Leslie show and she herself admitted that she was unsure about the credibility of that individual and that is why she didnt use him in the artice except when mentioning the meeting that Furlong and gthis individual had which for sure happend

Edited by canuckbeliever, 28 September 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#27 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

I will correct you on the typo you made. Russel pointed out that he married his wife during that time period and may have had kids not the other way around.

Also in general hour two of sportsstalk was amazing. Russel did a good job of summarizing the situation with Bob Macken and one of the beat reporters from CKNW

I highly reccomend everyone lisgten to it just to grasp the situation a bit better. There is a lot of incorrect or half accurate stuff spewing around and Russel and the 2 individuals address it very well

Just click on the hour two link
http://www.cknw.com/...sportstalk.aspx

Also one of the most interesting points in the discussion was the fact that they mentioned that the reporter who broke the news apparently spent several years doing research for the story so this isnt something that came out of her a**. She did a lot of research on it. Went to Ireland herself and spent a lot of resources.

In my opinion, at best Furlong comes across as someone who overglorified stuff that happend in his book and failed to mention key parts such as when he first came to Canada. Gary Mason even posted on twitter that he wasnt mentioned of Furlongs original run in Canada. The book definetly has some serious credibility issues going forward.

At worst Furlongs reputation is tainted forever and he is behind bars.

#28 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

Those charges are serious criminal offenses. If they are true, why has the RCMP not launched an investigation into them? Or have the RCMP looked into them and decided not to lay charges.

The Georgia Straight claimed it has 8 affadavits from former students alleging the abuse perpetrated by John Furlong.

There is an investigation that is currently going on

The timing is irrelevant. The accusations were originally levelled in 2011, and I don't see any how the timing gives any sort of advantage anyway.

Odds are accusations came way before 2011. Apparently the reporter spent a few years compiling her story

Edited by canuckbeliever, 28 September 2012 - 02:50 AM.

#29 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

This story won't go away now. I'll wait to reserve judgment on John Furlong. In any case it was a mistake omitting a five year period of his life from the book but that doesn't automatically make him guilty either.

I have a tough time imagining how he could have a reasonable explanation. This is no good for Furlong.

#30 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

I would point out that what was acceptable treatment of any student has changed over the years.
The strap was a tool used on students, and I've had chalk thrown at me along with the rare ear tweak or tug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.