The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Newer Newer Official WWE/TNA thread.

marleau_12

Apparently Vince got pretty upset backstage when Punk did a piledrive on Cena last night.

For those who don't know, the piledriver is banned move from the WWE, due to being too dangerous to perform.

Edited by shiznak

Boy the WWE has really gone downhill talent wise.

I'd have to disagree, things are looking bright with Rollins, Ambrose and even Reigns has impressed me. There is also Antonio Cesaro and Damien Sandow who are both going to be in main events in the next couple years, as well as established guys like Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett, and Cody Rhodes. On top of already established guys like Punk, Cena, Del Rio, Orton, Henry, Big Show, Sheamus, Swagger etc..

Even midcard tallent looks great with Kofi Kingston, Kane, R- Truth, Miz, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel. Not to mention stars on the rise like Bo Dallas and Big E. Langston.

Even the divas roster is going to start looking better soon (If they actually give them something other than 2 minutes to work with on Raw and Smackdown) I have really high hopes and think Paige from NXT will be a breakout star in the WWE in the near future. Also established divas such as Natalya, Layla, AJ and Kaitlyn don't appear to be leaving anytime soon.

My only area of concern is the tag team division however it is Wrestlemania season so I won't put too much stock into it yet as it looked on the rise until Royal Rumble where it faded again.

As someone who went through the attitude era I can tell you this current roster is much much much much deeper. The top end talent like Austin, Rock, Taker, HBK, HHH, Foley are hard to replace, but the mid and lower card is much deeper now than it has been in a long time.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

As someone who went through the attitude era I can tell you this current roster is much much much much deeper. The top end talent like Austin, Rock, Taker, HBK, HHH, Foley are hard to replace, but the mid and lower card is much deeper now than it has been in a long time.

Personally I was a fan of the post attitude era. around 03 - 08. I think they have been going downhill since the Beniot thing. The talent might be (and probably is) better than I give it credit for since I don't follow like I once did, but the talent just doesn't jump out at me the way it did when I followed closely, or even when I first started watching.

I think the depth was alot better before, especially around 05-06. There were alot of top stars, alot of guys emerging as top stars, and some nice depth and nice mid/lower card talent.

Personally I was a fan of the post attitude era. around 03 - 08. I think they have been going downhill since the Beniot thing. The talent might be (and probably is) better than I give it credit for since I don't follow like I once did, but the talent just doesn't jump out at me the way it did when I followed closely, or even when I first started watching.

I think the depth was alot better before, especially around 05-06. There were alot of top stars, alot of guys emerging as top stars, and some nice depth and nice mid/lower card talent.

I do admit 04-06 was probably the best it had been since the early 90's. I still feel todays roster is a lot more talented and a lot more diverse than it has ever been. I also see more potential in the new talent and that is saying a lot as 06 had guys like Edge, Cena, Angle, Orton, Batista, Benjamin, MVP etc.. Breaking out or on the verge of breaking out.

My only concern for the WWE right now is the writers because the talent has some of the most potential we have ever seen. Just need the writers to step up to the plate and deliver for the first time consistently since 06-08 or so.

Lame ending but pretty much ever Cena win is lame when he 'comes out of no where' with a horribly executed move.

Cena and Punk with a good match on a RAW? What is this? I don't even know. Scared that Cena is going to go super still but still a good match so far.

Cena and Punk always put on good matches. The two have amazing chemistry. Not sure what you're talking about.

Really enjoyed the beginning and end of Raw yesterday. Looking forward to the old school episode. Maybe Undertaker will go really old school (but with a mohawk?).

Cena and Punk always put on good matches. The two have amazing chemistry. Not sure what you're talking about.

Really enjoyed the beginning and end of Raw yesterday. Looking forward to the old school episode. Maybe Undertaker will go really old school (but with a mohawk?).

I really don't get all the Cena disrespect I mean honestly if you cant appreciate a near Wrestlemania quality match for free on Raw just shut up and stop watching. I would easily put Cena-Punk from Monday in the top 3 if not the top match we have ever seen on Raw in WWE history.

• Upvote 1

Apparently Vince got pretty upset backstage when Punk did a piledrive on Cena last night.

For those who don't know, the piledriver is banned move from the WWE, due to being too dangerous to perform.

Amazing execution by the two though - they told that story pretty nicely. When was the last time (if ever) that you've seen Cena do a powerbomb?

Even the divas roster is going to start looking better soon (If they actually give them something other than 2 minutes to work with on Raw and Smackdown) I have really high hopes and think Paige from NXT will be a breakout star in the WWE in the near future. Also established divas such as Natalya, Layla, AJ and Kaitlyn don't appear to be leaving anytime soon.

For the first time in a number of years, they actually have near falls in Divas matches. Only problem is it doesn't seem like they have enough Divas for any kind of storylines.

Aksana needs to be repackaged. She's not a bad wrestler anymore, but I dislike her character. Ditch the onesie, red lipstick, black hair and come back with her NXT look. Think it would be easier to take her seriously as a wrestler.

Naomi is overrated as a wrestler because of her athletic ability. Cameron, how does she even have a job? "My favourite match is Melina vs. Alicia Fox" :picard:

Tamina as a heel doesn't work. The daughter of Jimmy Superfly Snuka and heel just doesn't work.

Layla needs a heel turn and hope they do it for a WrestleMania match. She was much more interesting as a heel with Michelle McCool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTIiN0fpuk

Planting of the seeds?

• Upvote 1

I do admit 04-06 was probably the best it had been since the early 90's. I still feel todays roster is a lot more talented and a lot more diverse than it has ever been. I also see more potential in the new talent and that is saying a lot as 06 had guys like Edge, Cena, Angle, Orton, Batista, Benjamin, MVP etc.. Breaking out or on the verge of breaking out.

My only concern for the WWE right now is the writers because the talent has some of the most potential we have ever seen. Just need the writers to step up to the plate and deliver for the first time consistently since 06-08 or so.

They are going through a transition period, they need to continue to build the talent first them go and use the homerun storylines, using great storylines now (if they have them in the backpocket I am assuming) would be a bit of a waste as the superstars IMO aren't built up enough (aside from some of the absolute top guys) to make them major stars.

I still miss the glory days around 04-06 as you said.

The WWE shouldn't have dropped the ball with MVP and Kennedy like they did, Kennedy especially would be a huge asset now had they not let politics get in the way, was always a huge fan of him, he's got it all. Being a little underused right now in TNA IMO, but being a fan of TNA (not that I watch either show anymore, haven't in months) I am happy they were able to pick him up before he really did anything under Vince.

I really don't get all the Cena disrespect I mean honestly if you cant appreciate a near Wrestlemania quality match for free on Raw just shut up and stop watching. I would easily put Cena-Punk from Monday in the top 3 if not the top match we have ever seen on Raw in WWE history.

All of Cena's greatest matches were against either great technician wrestlers or great wrestlers in general (Michaels, Edge, Punk, and JBL) who basically carried him the entire match and made him look good.

I didn't even think the match was even all that great, certainly not MOTY candidate, simply because it's something that we have already seen in the last year in a half and it was way too predictable. If I had to rank their big encounters: their first match at Money in the Bank was probably their best, then their match at RAW 1000, most recent one, and lastly the NOC.

Yeah I sound like a smark, but the truth is Cena isn't a great wrestlers, his botched hurricanrana is proof that a man at his size shouldn't be jumping at that height and doing a move like that just because he wants to slience the critics.

Edited by shiznak

For the first time in a number of years, they actually have near falls in Divas matches. Only problem is it doesn't seem like they have enough Divas for any kind of storylines.

Aksana needs to be repackaged. She's not a bad wrestler anymore, but I dislike her character. Ditch the onesie, red lipstick, black hair and come back with her NXT look. Think it would be easier to take her seriously as a wrestler.

Naomi is overrated as a wrestler because of her athletic ability. Cameron, how does she even have a job? "My favourite match is Melina vs. Alicia Fox" :picard:

Tamina as a heel doesn't work. The daughter of Jimmy Superfly Snuka and heel just doesn't work.

Layla needs a heel turn and hope they do it for a WrestleMania match. She was much more interesting as a heel with Michelle McCool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTIiN0fpuk

Planting of the seeds?

Hey now Melina vs. Alicia Fox was my favorite match too... :bigblush:

I definitely agree on Layla needing a heel turn, I do feel Tamina works as either a heel or face but I agree she'd be better off a face at this time.

And yes please change Aksana to her NXT character, I love her on NXT and I think she is fairly underrated by the majority of fans and the WWE themselves.

I do like what they have done with Kaitlyn but IMO they need to do something to get her to the next level to be believeable as champion to the mainstream fans, I do not know exactly what she's missing but I know she is close to being a huge divas star.

All of Cena's greatest matches were against either great technician wrestlers or great wrestlers in general (Michaels, Edge, Punk, and JBL) who basically carried him the entire match and made him look good.

I didn't even think the match was even all that great, certainly not MOTY candidate, simply because it's something that we have already seen in the last year in a half and it was way too predictable. If I had to rank their encounters: their first match at Money in the Bank was probably their best, then their match at RAW 1000, and lastly this one.

Yeah I sound like a smark, but the truth is Cena isn't a great wrestlers, his botched hurricanrana is proof that a man at his size shouldn't be jumping at that height and doing a move like that just because he wants to slience the critics.

He's also had great matches against Batista, Undertaker, Kane, Orton, Miz and to be honest I felt Cena carried the Rock last year not the other way around.

So no I don't buy into the he only has good matches against the guys who can carry him... Sorry going to have to disagree he is one of the hardest working stars the WWE has like it or not.

That said I don't think he is the best on the roster but he is top 5-10 for sure not awful like the IWC seems to think.

• Upvote 1

I don't really care one way or another for Aksana. As for Naomi, I'd like to see her get more matches. You can call her overrated, but she is what the divas division needs. The divas need people like her who do aerial moves and can get the crowd somewhat into it. When you watch divas trying be to be technical and doing headlocks, armbars, and stuff, the crowd gets bored as hell in a second and it is dead silent. And yes, LayCool was amazing.

I didn't even think the match was even all that great, certainly not MOTY candidate, simply because it's something that we have already seen in the last year in a half and it was way too predictable. If I had to rank their big encounters: their first match at Money in the Bank was probably their best, then their match at RAW 1000, most recent one, and lastly the NOC.

He did a hurricarana, so what? If he doesn't do a new move like that, everyone just crieeeeees. He tries something new, everyone just cries even more. I honestly don't think he cares what you think about his wrestling ability. If you didn't think that match was great, I don't know what you would like. Just keep dreaming about your dream Ambrose vs Bryan match or whatever.

• Upvote 1

He's also had great matches against Batista, Undertaker, Kane, Orton, Miz and to be honest I felt Cena carried the Rock last year not the other way around.

So no I don't buy into the he only has good matches against the guys who can carry him... Sorry going to have to disagree he is one of the hardest working stars the WWE has like it or not.

That said I don't think he is the best on the roster but he is top 5-10 for sure not awful like the IWC seems to think.

The matches he had with Kane and the Miz were terrible, he gets beat up for 90% of the match and turns into Superman and wins. Orton is one of the best wrestlers in the company right now and could make the Great Khali look good. He never faced Taker before, I don't think, certainly not when Cena was a big draw. His matches with Batista, were decent at best. And the match he had with The Rock at WM was horrible/slugglish, in terms of the wrestling aspects (both men could be blame though).

Let's be honest, any match can seem entertaining if the guy can "kick out" of their opponents finishing move, and any jobber could do that. In this case, Cena.

Edited by shiznak

The matches he had with Kane and the Miz were terrible, he gets beat up for 90% of the match and turns into Superman and wins. Orton is one of the best wrestlers in the company right now and could make the Great Khali look good. He never faced Taker before, I don't think, certainly not when Cena was a big draw. His matches with Batista, were decent at best. And the match he had with The Rock at WM was horrible/slugglish, in terms of the wrestling aspects (both men could be blame though).

Let's be honest, any match can seem entertaining if the guy can "kick out" of their opponents finishing move, and any jobber could do that. In this case, Cena.

Cena a jobber? Lol your point is invalid.

Cena vs. Taker Vengeance 2003 and on Smackdown his match against Miz was far from terrible and his matches with Kane were some of Kane's best work in a while.

I don't mean great in the sense of best of all time I mean great for storyline purposes and crowd reaction which is the point. Not the 150 whiny people like you who cry no matter what Cena does.

He does something new he should stick with the basics, he sticks with the basics he's stale etc...

Edited by canuck73_3

He did a hurricarana, so what? If he doesn't do a new move like that, everyone just crieeeeees. He tries something new, everyone just cries even more. I honestly don't think he cares what you think about his wrestling ability. If you didn't think that match was great, I don't know what you would like. Just keep dreaming about your dream Ambrose vs Bryan match or whatever.

Do you know why big guys don't try high risks moves?

Because they could have seriously hurt the opponents. I bet you would love to see your hero Punk in a neck brace.

There's a rule in wrestling, know your limitation and Cena apparently thinks he can suddenly become a luchador wrestler.

Edited by shiznak

Cena a jobber? Lol your point is invalid.

I didn't say Cena was a jobber. I was referring that most of Cena's matches, he kicks out of the opponents finisher, turns into Superman and out of the blue wins without breaking a sweat.

I didn't say Cena was a jobber. I was referring that most of Cena's matches, he kicks out of the opponents finisher, turns into Superman and out of the blue wins without breaking a sweat.

Any jobber can do that in this case Cena.

That would be calling Cena a jobber.