The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I think AV was one of the main reasons for Coho wanting out, and that stems back to the injury and everything that happened before.

So I do think AV could have handled him better but if it was a fixed plot to get Coho traded then I guess you can't blame anyone for that.

What logic? Its quite funny actually, that you two think I'm not smart enough when you were the one that said Luongo isn't a massive upgrade over Dubnyk.

No GM in this league, well, maybe Gauthier, is dumb enough to just dump an elite goalie like Luongo for crap that does absolutely nothing to help us win now.

What logic? Its quite funny actually, that you two think I'm not smart enough when you were the one that said Luongo isn't a massive upgrade over Dubnyk.

No GM in this league, well, maybe Gauthier, is dumb enough to just dump an elite goalie like Luongo for crap that does absolutely nothing to help us win now.

And I didn;t say he wasn;t an improvement, if at all and certainly in no uncertain terms is he a "massive" upgrade ! All you know is what you hear, with no goaltending knowledge whatsoever. You are entitled to your opinion but don;t diss those who know more than you about this one specific topic...goaltending. At 16 where would you have had the time, or opportunity to learn?

an opinion based on what? Do tell? Dubnyk was a first round pick which gives him credibility, 14th overall, which is a number arrived at by MANY hockey scouts, His numbers were not much worse than Lou's last year playing for the bottom feeding Oilers. Put Dubnyk behind the Canucks defense and see what happens, and see how Lou would fair on the Oilers. Dubnyk does need a bit more seasoning but is a big, technical goaltender. Give him a good team in front of him and watch him shine, I 've watched Dubnyk and see a ton of potential, and I look at it from a Coaches point of view, not a TV watcher who is NOT a goalie.

Lu was a 1st Round pick too, 4th Overall, that's 10 spots higher, does that mean Lu is 10 times better? :lol: Come on dude Draft position holds very little merrit, Al Montoya was picked in the top 10 before Dubnyk and Schneider. Who's the worst out of those 3? Draft position means nothing.

I agree Dubnyk has potential but he isn't at Lu's level yet, he just doesn't have the ability to carry a team the way Luongo does, there were times when we played worse than Edmonton last season and we won strictly cause of Goaltending. Dubnyk is good, but if you put him in all the situation Lu has been in and succeded in no chance he would be the same.

I don't think Dubnyk will be as good as Lu ever really but I do agree there is some potential there.

And rather than bashing everyone and saying how much experiance you have why don't you actually tell me what your experiance is? Cause I watch alot of hockey too, so really me watching is no less credible than you watching.

I love a good discussion about goaltending, but it irks me to be questioned by 16 yr old who have no goaltending experience or knowledge, As for my comparison of the two goalies, I was comparing last years play and results, and there was not much to choose in SP. Lou has had a great career, but last season was not one of his best. At this point, I don;t see him as much better. Dubnyk is younger, better technically , big, and has more upside than Lou at this point in time. As for me, I played junior A, played in Europe, have coached and tutored goaltenders over a span of 40 yrs and feel comfortable with my evaluations based on experience. Teams have goaltending coaches for a big reason and that is because no one understands the position and guess what, they are all ex goalies !! I don;t comment on many other topics because its not my area, and don;t profess to being able to compare Hamhuis to Ballard or whoever. People watch a goaltender get scored on, but most have no idea what transpired to cause the breakdown.

I love a good discussion about goaltending, but it irks me to be questioned by 16 yr old who have no goaltending experience or knowledge, As for my comparison of the two goalies, I was comparing last years play and results, and there was not much to choose in SP. Lou has had a great career, but last season was not one of his best. At this point, I don;t see him as much better. Dubnyk is younger, better technically , big, and has more upside than Lou at this point in time. As for me, I played junior A, played in Europe, have coached and tutored goaltenders over a span of 40 yrs and feel comfortable with my evaluations based on experience. Teams have goaltending coaches for a big reason and that is because no one understands the position and guess what, they are all ex goalies !! I don;t comment on many other topics because its not my area, and don;t profess to being able to compare Hamhuis to Ballard or whoever. People watch a goaltender get scored on, but most have no idea what transpired to cause the breakdown.

You can say that again, people just point fingers at the goalie, and it gets annoying.

You can say that Lu's last season was not his best, and it wasn't and you can say he wasn't good but look beyond the stats, and remember the countless times (namely in Feburary on) when he had great game after great game, made huge saves and kept us in games, I do expect you of all people to be able to identify those times with your years of experiance.

You saying Dubynk has more upside is kind of unfair, one goalie is 26 and the other is 33, not a fair comparison. Dubnyk is bigger but bigger isn't always better with goalies so that's not really as big of a factor like it is with players, also Lu is a pretty big guy in his own right.

IMO Luongo is is better at battling through screens and making saves through screens, I think he is better at making big saves, and alot of them, I think he has a better glove hand, and is better positionally.

some 16 year old's actually might know quite a bit about goaltending. think of those 16 year olds playing in the CHL, and high levels of hockey, and not to make this a personal pissing match & I do respect your opinion but I find it funny that you always pull out the 16 year old kid thing everytime someone makes a comment on goaltending.

simple. tell people where and who you coach (goalies) and allow us to see your amazing and faultless goaltending knowledge. calling out people because of age to determine hockey knowledge is a clown move and you and KOTES are seemingly the biggest clowns in this thread. Thats right, I said you guys are the biggest clowns in this thread. Noses held up high, fingers in your ears. Age means nothing as far as hockey sense goes, just as you don't have to be in your thirties to earn your black belt in BJJ (i have one) You with your uber-know-it-all goalie sense and everyone else is below you. please dude, just tell us where and when we can watch you coach the next roy and i'm sure the rink will be filled.

Archived