The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Amanda Todd

Kass9

This has hit my son and family hard..

My son goes to the same school that Amanda went to. He has also been bullied very badly for the last 4 years starting in grade 6, the bullies also made a face book page ( around 3 years ago) and even used a pic from his own profile (a picture of him playing guitar) calling him a "Gay Slur" and calling on people to agree he was worthless.I only found the face book page by accident by randomly doing a search of his name. I complained to the school and provided proof of it with all the names of the students on the page

( I was able to take a screen shot before the kids could take their names off) Nothing was done...it wasn't even recorded on their school records.

As he moved to high school alot of the bullies followed as it was in the same district. (#42)

Things went from bad to worse as the made sure no one should become friends with him and made sure he was harassed even more.

At one point he was attacked in front of our own house by 15 youths. I just happened to be leaving at the same time and was able to stop and push the kids away before any real harm was done. So what do you think happened after that?

You'd be wrong in assuming that the kids were punished this time. As a matter of fact I was charged with assault because the kids all banded together to say that I randomly attacked them. Even though several had been identified as kids that had bullied my son before. One year after...almost to the day of the attack and around 7000 dollars in legal bills later the crown drops the charges.

Seems the youths, some of the kids involved are arrested for beating pepper spraying and robbing another kid that they have also targeted.

Seems they know longer believed I attacked them..

In all of this my son has gone from a happy talented musician to a lonely and sad young man who spends most of his time in his room also wishing at times.. that he could just disappear.

Where am i going with this? I have tried for years to get the school district to do something, they are quite aware of my sons and other youths problems, but say their doing everything that thy are required to do.They even suggested we sell are house and move away for the good of our son.

I asked about trying to do something for bullied kids.Maybe introduce a program into the high schools like Alberta is doing called SACSC http://www.sacsc.ca/ There it is actually part of the school curriculum.

The only thing that they seem to want to do is "Pink Shirt Day".

The time for change in our schools is now!!

How many more lives have to be lost..

My son goes to the same school that Amanda went to. He has also been bullied very badly for the last 4 years starting in grade 6, the bullies also made a face book page ( around 3 years ago) and even used a pic from his own profile (a picture of him playing guitar) calling him a "Gay Slur" and calling on people to agree he was worthless.I only found the face book page by accident by randomly doing a search of his name. I complained to the school and provided proof of it with all the names of the students on the page

( I was able to take a screen shot before the kids could take their names off) Nothing was done...it wasn't even recorded on their school records.

As he moved to high school alot of the bullies followed as it was in the same district. (#42)

Things went from bad to worse as the made sure no one should become friends with him and made sure he was harassed even more.

At one point he was attacked in front of our own house by 15 youths. I just happened to be leaving at the same time and was able to stop and push the kids away before any real harm was done. So what do you think happened after that?

You'd be wrong in assuming that the kids were punished this time. As a matter of fact I was charged with assault because the kids all banded together to say that I randomly attacked them. Even though several had been identified as kids that had bullied my son before. One year after...almost to the day of the attack and around 7000 dollars in legal bills later the crown drops the charges.

Seems the youths, some of the kids involved are arrested for beating pepper spraying and robbing another kid that they have also targeted.

In all of this my son has gone from a happy talented musician to a lonely and sad young man who spends most of his time in his room also wishing at times.. that he could just disappear.

Where am i going with this? I have tried for years to get the school district to do something, they are quite aware of my sons and other youths problems, but say their doing everything that thy are required to do.They even suggested we sell are house and move away for the good of our son.

I asked about trying to do something for bullied kids.Maybe introduce a program into the high schools like Alberta is doing called SACSC http://www.sacsc.ca/ There it is actually part of the school curriculum.

I know this might be intrusive for the family and especially for your son, but I'm sure the media is looking for stories like this, especially after the tragedy of Amanda Todd. Have you considered piling pressure on SD42 through reporters?

The sad thing is that SD42 will probably say that this was either resolved a long time ago or that the investigation is ongoing (pure BS, in my opinion)

Just a very random thought...

LOL you're joking right? I told a guy who was talking smack and saying he'd help her kill herself by shooting her in the head, to kill himself. yes, I am a bully. Bahahahahahaha. That is one of the kinds of peiople that should off themselves, not innocent people.

Oh great some ignorant fool blaming the victim. In your own words you compare an adult's actions with that of a 14 year old girl. There is a reason why our criminal justice system does not hold youth accountable to the same level of adults. Even if she made poor choices she did not deserve to be bullied or tormented either online or at school.

I know this might be intrusive for the family and especially for your son, but I'm sure the media is looking for stories like this, especially after the tragedy of Amanda Todd. Have you considered piling pressure on SD42 through reporters?

The sad thing is that SD42 will probably say that this was either resolved a long time ago or that the investigation is ongoing (pure BS, in my opinion)

What I don't understand is that she said she had no friends, no one liked her and that she was completely alone... what about her bf? The admin of the RIP Amanda Todd fb group has posted quite a few pictures of her and her boyfriend. I understand that you can feel alone even if you're in a room full of people but it makes her situation a little bit confusing to understand.

Kind of how the court of public opinion has provided more influence on her "good girl" side? The way people have used social media to exploit her death? Somebody on Tumblr went on a rant (albeit, a slightly idiotic rant) but this is what stood out to me:

"What kind of message does it send to impressionable teens that if you go ahead and kill yourself that you will get thousands of likes on a Facebook page and everyone will feel sorry for you and give you attention?".

That, to me, is the message that has been provided. I have a friend who is suffering from depression, and he told me, because of this incident, that he "could kill himself and people would notice him for a change".

It's a terrible tragedy, and no one deserves what this girl went through. But in saying that, I have to look at the realistic side of things.

Yes you are correct I beat the bad rap, but the emotional and financial toll that has resulted has almost torn my family apart.

Not to mention we almost lost our house and are still in danger of it.

You can bet that the little A-holes that did this won't be losing any sleep over it though.

Kids trying to find their way do stupid things in pursuit of acceptance and affirmation. Sure, it's easy to blame her but those things that she did were just leading her to where she is now and they're tragic much more than they are worthy of blame. Society's led us here - the need to fit in, to be perfect, is a strong pull for young girls. They're bombarded with images and messages that set the bar (unrealistically high). Sure, alongside those are also the positive ones, but they get swallowed up with the campaign to be model hot. Low self esteem is a slow drag to destruction if it isn't addressed. If there isn't anyone there, helping to keep things in check, kids have to navigate through it alone.

Some girls choose controlling boyfriends who define who they are. Some will try to please others even if they sacrifice themselves in doing so. I just wish they could see it through the eyes of an old lady like me whose was in an abusive, controlling relationship for half my lifetime....once you break free and start to love yourself, there's no turning back. But it's a painful road that gets you there, to that dark place, and not everyone makes it back unscathed. Or even alive.

Immaturity makes everything seem so amplified and dramatic...if only these young people knew that this stuff that seems life altering is but a blip on the radar of their lives. That's not to trivialize things - bullying is significant and has a lasting impact. But if kids could only realize that most of the people and events of their youth won't even be a factor 10 years down the road...that everyone grows up and moves on and the memories all fade.

This girl sounds like she was desperate to find her place in this world. People have called her an attention monger, etc. but that, in itself, is often a cry for help. Kids who feel alienated and isolated do go to extremes at times but if we look behind that, it's tragic more than it's something to sneer at. If we could all replace judgment and criticism with empathy and understanding the world would be a much friendlier place.

This story hurt my heart. My own daughter has struggled for some time, so I feel this one very deeply....

Archived