Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Capilano University

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

So I have a couple of quick questions to students/faculty from Capilano University.

-What is the admission average?
-How hard is it to get into the music programs?
-Whats the average cost for housing in the area?
-How are the business programs?
-How's campus life?

Thanks in advance
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#2 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,080 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I went there for the first two years of post-secondary. I can't answer all of your questions. I found that the campus life was very poor...there's not many clubs or anything like that. My friend who currently goes there reports that there are many hipster sightings, their habitat being the new film building. But I did have some excellent professors there, including one history professor who I had for five classes. I think professors at Cap are much more helpful than at the more "prestigious" universities.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#3 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

I went there for the first two years of post-secondary. I can't answer all of your questions. I found that the campus life was very poor...there's not many clubs or anything like that. My friend who currently goes there reports that there are many hipster sightings, their habitat being the new film building. But I did have some excellent professors there, including one history professor who I had for five classes. I think professors at Cap are much more helpful than at the more "prestigious" universities.

University Profs' primary duties are not teaching - they're researchers. Kind of backwards if you were to ask me.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#4 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the input! What was your grade 12 average when you got in?
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#5 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,040 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

I only went there for one semester back when it was still Cap College but I really enjoyed the campus. Good location and a positive environment to learn in. Much better than Douglas which was very bleak and depressing.

The profs were not the most educated (compared to university profs at least) but they were all super nice and helpful. Helped me get my grades up really high in just one semester so that I could transfer to University.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#6 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Why don't you shoot for UBC or SFU?

Self-actualization is a virtue.
Posted Image

#7 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Says the man who's 12 and likely doesn't know much about colleges

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#8 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,080 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

I don't know...probably a B average. But I think making the jump to UBC or SFU right off the bat is not always a good thing. My friend went to SFU right away, got burnt badly by the transition from high school to university and he didn't do very well first year. Now he's doing his fourth year at Langara and he's going back to SFU next year.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#9 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I'm gonna have a couple of years of post-secondary experience before I apply to those schools.
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

#10 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Cap's paralegal program is pretty good...

Only two universities have this program in Canada, the other one is in Ontario.

- Take transfer courses if you want to go to SFU or UBC in the future. (Year 2-4)

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#11 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Cap's paralegal program is pretty good...

Only two universities have this program in Canada, the other one is in Ontario.

- Take transfer courses if you want to go to SFU or UBC in the future. (Year 2-4)

I'm planning on taking transfer courses after 3 years at BCIT.
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

#12 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Heard the music program was good and, therefore, competitive.
Housing costs are high in North Van.
Cap has a business program and an applied business program that ladders into the business program. Don't know about admission gpas.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#13 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Anyone know the admission gpa's?
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.