34 replies to this topic

#31 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

I hope so, one of my sisters (who just died yesterday as a result of organ failure after voluntarily ceasing her medications for months) grew up fighting leukemia, after 15 years, a few relapses, and several bone marrow transplants plus extensive chemotherapies finally beat it, but thanks to treatments had two other cancers develop which she also had to beat. I really hope for a breakthrough on chemo in these regards.

I'm so sorry to hear that. That must have been so hard on you and your family. You're right, the unfortunate part about chemo is there's always a point where you have to decide whether it's doing more harm than good. Chemotherapy is toxic, nobody denies that. The thing I hate about this article and others like it is it talks about these issues as if it's new information and as if the medical community is trying to hide it and pull the wool over our eyes. They're really not. The dangers of cytotoxic drugs to patients as well as researchers and technicians has been known for a long time. It's not a secret. Look up any biotech company safety manual and there will probably be a section on how to handle cytotoxic materials, even if the company doesn't have them on site. If people handling those drugs are not taking the proper precautions to protect themselves it's their own fault.

Pouria, yes there are alternatives, but they are all in the development stage. Some are further along than others which is why I say that we should expect a fundamental shift in cancer treatment to start happening in the near future. But you should know it can take upwards of 20 years and hundreds of millions of dollars for a treatment to go from the pre-clinical development stage, through clinical trials and finally reach commercialization, and that's with several pitfalls and failures along the way. You should also understand that there is never going to be a "cure for cancer" so to speak. That's like expecting a cure-all for viruses. Each cancer is different and needs to be treated differently.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#32 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

This topic is near and dear to me.

Sorry Pouria but you are incorrect (as is that BS article) about chemotherapy harming health care workers to the extent portrayed. I was a hospital pharm tech for 5 years and often prepared chemo IV admixtures. The process was always arduous and intensive and we always took extreme care when handling dangerous chemicals. Only experienced techs with specific training with these chemicals with the required radiopharmaceutical IV hoods (www.germfree.com has some fine examples) were allowed to produce chemo admixtures. Whoever wrote that article did zero research.

Homeopathic and Naturopathic providers are vultures of people in need. They are as corrupt as big pharma.

Where I do agree with you Pouria, is on the topic of big pharma. I have had many negative dealings with pharmaceutical companies as a tech. They are big, bad and beyond reproach. They do not care AT ALL about the health or well-being of their customers, just the profit margin. Problem is there isn't anything anyone can do about it. Pharmacists and doctors have been blowing the whistle for decades but like the banks, they are too big to fail. For example, American companies get paid by the Canadian government for pharmaceutical R&D and then take the patent to America or the UK to brand the product and keep it from the generic manufacturers in exchange for kickbacks to certain government agencies and individuals that are supposed to regulate this industry. As long as these companies own our government and have the FDA in their pocket (which they do, just read the FDA's reports on Canadian online pharmacies which were supposedly denting their profit margin), they will never stop killing for profit. They make me sick. Yet despite all of that, there are some good people on the frontlines that produce and administer amazing medications for people that need it. The pricing of meds is corrupt but the production of the meds is not. They are necessary and they save lives but it's bittersweet. Too many people die because they cannot afford to buy a med that could save their life.

Edited by Kryten, 13 November 2012 - 06:45 AM.

Posted Image

#33 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

Pouria, you should have just posted the article from MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn...k/#.UKMxI8WHI9U

Or the Seattle Times article:
http://seattletimes....syndication=rss

Or Investigate West:
http://www.invw.org/chemo-workers

Or PBS:
http://www.pbs.org/n...hemo_08-05.html

Or the Oregonian article:
http://www.oregonliv...orked_with.html

Or the Union-Bulletin:
http://union-bulleti...ses-threat-too/

Or Health Care Professional Live:
http://www.hcplive.c...s_drug_exposure

etc., perhaps once the minds of the people would register 'mainstream media', they would, in their ignorance, instead swallow wholesale what you are presenting.
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Posted Image Posted Image

#34 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

There are teams of scientists around the world researching alternative cancers treatments 24/7. Chemo is the best/most proven treatment we currently have available. If something better comes along and gets approved, it will become the new "standard".

I had hodgkins lymphoma about 4 years ago (in remission) and I too can say that I likely would not be here if not for the toxic stew I had pumped through me every couple weeks for months. It certainly sucks at the time and I'm still dealing with worsened circulation to my extremities (nothing serious, my hands and feet just get cold easy now) from ahving poison pumped through my veins but it sure beats the alternative!!
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#35 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,695 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

nothing is harm free

radiation therapy is commonly used to treat some type of cancers. but they also increase the risk of developing other cancers later on, should you survive long enough.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.