The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Wolves @ Grand Rapids (4-3 loss)

Chronic.Canuck

Surprised to see no GDT about this one. Tanev with his 2nd of the year!

Also Rodin with a goal, seems to be finding his game.

Straight off the Wolves' website.

Black Friday No Bargain For Wolves

EDIT: added highlights.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.---It was a back-and-forth affair at Van Andel Arena Friday night, but the Chicago Wolves couldn’t get the final score in a 4-3 loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Mark Matheson, Chris Tanev and Anton Rodin lit the lamp for the Wolves (8-6-2-0), who were tied with the Griffins for first place in the American Hockey League’s Midwest Division when the night began.

The Wolves have allowed the first goal in their last four road games, winning only one of those contests. The home team struck first again, with Grand Rapids left wing Tomas Tatargetting his sixth of the year at 7:56 in the first period.

Wolves center Alex Friesen tried to score the equalizer on a penalty shot before the six-minute mark of the second frame, but Grand Rapids netminder Petr Mrazek (6-0-0) stood tall to turn him away. Matheson got Chicago on the board at 8:25 in the period as he went five-hole on Mrazek for his third of the season and second goal in two games.

Grand Rapids (9-4-1-1), which ran its winning streak to seven games, responded in rapid succession as right wing Mitch Callahan potted his first of the season 13 seconds later.

The Griffins held a 2-1 lead until Tanev fired a shot that ricocheted off the goal post and into the mesh at the 17:37 mark of the second. With those two markers, the Wolves moved to plus-6 in their second-period goal differential for the season.

Grand Rapids regained a 3-2 lead on defenseman Chad Billins’ power-play goal 36 seconds into the third period. Hot on his heels was Rodin’s rebound goal at 5:53 of the third.

Tatar bookended the game and picked up the game-winning goal past Wolves goaltender Eddie Lack at 17:47. Lack (6-4-0) stopped 25 of 29 shots. Mrazek also posted 25 saves.

Chicago hosts the Milwaukee Admirals in an Amtrak Rivalry game at Allstate Arena Saturday night. For tickets, call1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit ChicagoWolves.com.

Chicago 0 2 1 -- 3

Grand Rapids 1 1 2 -- 4

First Period---1, Grand Rapids, Tatar 6 (Pare, Almquist), 7:56. Penalties---Billins, Grand Rapids (holding the stick), 0:30; Grant, Grand Rapids (slashing), 10:38; Miller, Chicago (diving), 13:12; Miller, Chicago (fighting) 18:09; Evans, Grand Rapids (fighting), 18:09.

Second Period---2, Chicago, Matheson 3 (Kassian), 8:25; 3, Grand Rapids, Callahan 1 (Grant); 4, Chicago, Tanev 4 (Matheson, Ebbett), 17:37. Penalties---Smith, Grand Rapids (goalie interference), 0:33; Nyquist, Grand Rapids (slashing), 3:47; Gordon, Chicago (goaltender interference), 14:07; Haydar, Chicago (hooking), 19:59.

Third Period---5, Grand Rapids, Billins 1 (Nyquist, Smith), 0:36 pp; 6, Chicago, Rodin 1 (Sterling, Longpre), 5:33; 7, Grand Rapids, Tatar (Aubry), 17:47. Penalties---Sterling, Chicago (delay of game), 2:10; Pinizzotto, Chicago (fighting), 6:27; Smith, Grand Rapids (fighting), 6:27; Anderson, Grand Rapids (boarding), 13:16; Raedeke, Grand Rapids (delay of game), 14:34.

Shots on goal---Chicago: 5-11-12—28; Grand Rapids: 7-11-11—29. Power plays---Chicago 0-6; Grand Rapids 1-4. Goalies—Chicago, Lack (25-29),

Grand Rapids, Mrazek (25-28). A---8,368. Referee---Shaun Davis.

Linesmen---Bob Marcis and Jim Scarpace.

You're not exactly coming off as the most charming person yourself right now... just saying.

Matheson is 28 years old now and has yet to play even a single NHL regular season game. He thus far has been a career AHLer.

He's had decent numbers everywhere he's played but nothing spectacular, really. I kind of get the impression that at this point in his career he just doesn't have quite enough going for him to inspire an NHL team to take a flyer on him.

He DOES have a blog if you'd be interested in learning about him? http://chicagowolves...05-markmatheson

I would like to see Matheson signed on as our 8th defenseman. Joslin was brought in for that role but Matheson has outplayed him by a large margin this season. Matheson was still putting up respectable numbers with Joslin (as was Tanev with Connauton) but when they moved Matheson with Tanev both defenseman seemed to explode offensively.

Matheson is a stay at home dman with a solid first pass. The way he plays reminds me a bit of Willie Mitchell. Not a whole lot of skill but he has the work ethic, smarts, and level-headed play that makes him an effective stay-at-home defenseman. Pretty good size as well at 6'2, 205lbs. Plays a tough game but is not the type to throw punishing hits and beat everyone up.

He will never be an offensive dman but he has but up ok numbers in the past. 33 points in 70 games (9 goals) with the wolves in 10-11 and 13 goals, 24 points in 38 games his last year of college hockey.

His career path is similar to Volpatti's. Good but not phenomenal junior A player who started to pick up their game big time near the end of college. Volpatti was lucky enough to get signed by an NHL team, Matheson not so much.

Like 22sedins33 said, he doesn't seem to have quite enough in any area of his game for a team to take a chance on a 28 year old rookie. If he was 23 I think he would earn himself an NHL contract for his play this season.

to be fair, matheson's entire career has been an AHLer or lower, with no hint at transition beyond that. what he brings to the table in his maxed out current form, other, younger prospects also bring, but they have potential for surpassing that. with matheson what you see is what you get, but at least you know what you are getting.

I PVR'd the game Saturday night and watched and i never want to see this Matheson guy in a Canucks uniform from what i seen.

Matheson had at least 3 horrible giveaways that led to top quality chances for the opposition and in this game he looked like even the AHL is too much for him.

Joslin from what i have seen doesn't look like 7-8 NHL ready defensemen either.

Tanev and Connauton are the only ready defensemen on that Wolves team from what i have seen.

Archived