29 replies to this topic

#1 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm getting my first smartphone, and I'm split between the Nexus 4, galaxy nexus, and galaxy s3.

Keep in mind that I plan to have this phone for at least 3 years unless it breaks. Don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

Some questions/issues I have are:

Nexus 4:
  • only comes in 8 or 16 GB non-expandable. I'll probably only be using apps and internet, I won't be downloading any many if any movies or music, so is this a problem given I plan to have this phone for a while?
  • only available unlocked and off contract for around $300. I've heard that you save money over time buying it unlocked and creating your own plan based on what you need but I'm not sure how much I'll need since this is my first smartphone, so is buying it unlocked a good thing?
  • how does it feel? I've read conflicting reviews where some say it feels like a premium smartphone but other reviews say it feels plasticky and cheap
  • Can only buy it from the google play store.
Galaxy Nexus:
  • comes in 32 GB non-expandable. Will I need that much given what what I plan to do with it?
  • more expensive unlocked than then nexus 4 by about $150 on average, available for about $30 on contract. Worth it?
  • How does it feel?
Galaxy s3:
  • If I get this one, I'll almost certainly buy it with a plan since it's almost double the price of the nexus 4 unlocked
  • Have also heard that the s3 feel plasticky
  • This isn't a vanilla android. Is this an issue?
Can anybody help me decide with reasons for or against the phones? ( and don't say Iphone, b/c I'm not getting one. I'm against apple. No particular reason. Just don't like it)
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#2 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

The Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Nexus 4 - Feels great, awesome specs, everything you need in a phone. 8gb will be fine if you're not watching a lot of movies or anything. It doesn't feel cheap to me. It feels solid and well built.

Galaxy Nexus - I have this phone and it's my baby. However, you may as well get the Nexus 4 for a better price and better specs. I love the feel of it as well, solid, not cheap.

Galaxy S3 - Also a great phone, but not worth the extra cost over the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4. Non-vanilla is a bit of an issue as there is some software bloat and updates are much slower than on the other phones.

If I were you I'd go for the Nexus 4.

#3 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

The Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Also a decent comparison:
http://www.phonearen...parison_id36069

Wired and The Verge have some great reviews you can look at as well.

#4 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

As a rule of thumb never buy LG phones.

They're poorly made and I've had many break.

A Samsung is a much safer bet.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#5 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Nokia Lumia 920 should be your other option. I heard the battery lasts 3 days with moderate use. It has a crazy good camera, battery, built, screen and call quality. Not to mention Windows Phone 8 is super snappy with this phone.

Posted Image

#6 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

S3 gets my vote, great phone!

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#7 Fudd

Fudd

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have the Galaxy Nexus and I really like it. It has a nice, large screen however the battery isn't too great. For me, personally, the Galaxy Nexus feels too thin but I always like to put a good case on my phones (I have the Otterbox Commuter on it and I love it). I haven't really had many issues.. it used to keep rebooting on me but that problem went away before I decided to go back to the store.

My friend has the S3. It's.. it's beautiful.

#8 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'm an iPhone person but the S3 is a fine ass phone.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#9 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Nexus 4 - Feels great, awesome specs, everything you need in a phone. 8gb will be fine if you're not watching a lot of movies or anything. It doesn't feel cheap to me. It feels solid and well built.

Galaxy Nexus - I have this phone and it's my baby. However, you may as well get the Nexus 4 for a better price and better specs. I love the feel of it as well, solid, not cheap.

Galaxy S3 - Also a great phone, but not worth the extra cost over the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4. Non-vanilla is a bit of an issue as there is some software bloat and updates are much slower than on the other phones.

If I were you I'd go for the Nexus 4.

Thanks this was really helpful.

Another question, should I buy my phone unlocked or buy it with a plan?

The Nexus 4 is sold unlocked by google but it's soldout with no word on when it'll be back in stock so I might have to wait till next year. The galaxy nexus used to be sold by google unlocked but they stopped selling it and now it can only be bought unlocked from 3rd party sellers, with a jacked up price, or with a plan. I can get it for free with a rogers 3 year plan right now.

They're poorly made and I've had many break.

A Samsung is a much safer bet.

I've heard that that's true but the the nexus 4 breaks the trend and is pretty durable.
Posted Image

#10 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Nokia Lumia 920 should be your other option. I heard the battery lasts 3 days with moderate use. It has a crazy good camera, battery, built, screen and call quality. Not to mention Windows Phone 8 is super snappy with this phone.

It's nice but the price would require me to buy it with a plan which I'm trying to avoid, and the app selection is apparently far behind Android. I do like how it looks though. It's so vibrant and different. Not just black or white.
Posted Image

#11 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Or you could just get a random HTC... They're great phones.

#12 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

They're poorly made

+1

could not agree more, they are garbage phones

#13 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

You should consider HTC. Best quality for Android Phones. Other wise I will tell you to go NOkia, but they don't have android. Since this is your first smart phone, I highly suggest trying out a windows phone. I personally think that os is much better then android, due to androids in consistencies, also, if you buy an s3, By July 2013, you will not be able to update to the latest version of Android.

Please reconsider your options before you buy your phone.

BTW, the S3 is the most overrated phone on the planet. Cheaply made, screen breaks easily. Does not deserve to be in the same sentense as a lumia. I don't even know why the hell you are considering android. Even the S3 does not have JB 4.2 yet.

http://www.androidpo...newest-release/

Personally I will stay away from anydroid defevices. If you do go android, get a HTC. Those things are built like apple phones.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#14 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

x2 plus wireless charging is amazing.

Only downside is that it's Rogers only right now :(

#15 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

x2 plus wireless charging is amazing.

Only downside is that it's Rogers only right now :(

NOkia is failing in advertising this phone. The Lumia 920 is probably one of the best phones on the planet right now. Not even close.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#16 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

NOkia is failing in advertising this phone. The Lumia 920 is probably one of the best phones on the planet right now. Not even close.

I have barely seen this advertised at all.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#17 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

No one even knows about some of the crazy camera features that are built right into the phone. You can take a picture of a text and translate it to any language you want. It has the Nokia city lens which is not found in any other smart phones and the Nokia drive navigation doesn't require data and maps of any country in the world can be downloaded to the phone for offline navigation. It has a floating lens and optical stabilization system with the best low light performance of any camera phones out there. Not to mention the multitude of manual adjustments that could be made to the camera such as the shutter speed, White Balance, Aperture, ISO sensitivity etc. It also has office apps such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint. I'd probably get this phone even if Windows Phone 8 is lacking in apps. The navigation, camera, battery, call quality and built of the phone makes it worth the purchase.

Posted Image

#18 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

I have barely seen this advertised at all.

Its the best kept secret. Am just waiting to see the price drop and maybe purchase it when it becomes more affordable.

Posted Image

#19 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

Its the best kept secret. Am just waiting to see the price drop and maybe purchase it when it becomes more affordable.

I remember when I first saw the reviews on it months ago when they talked about it I believe and then it just sort of disappeared and only reason I remember it is because you keep bringing it up in phone topics. Only the iPhone and S3 are advertised and they are shoved down our throats in commercials.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#20 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Can't go wrong with the S3 in my opinion!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#21 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Get the S3 it is amazing, its sleek, quick, the battery last for quite a bit, and the screen is great.

It doesnt break easily either like the other guy said, I've dropped mine about 5 times and my screen hasnt even been scratched.

#22 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I've had the Galaxy Nexus since release and it's an awesome phone there are some issues I've had with it you might want to consider. The GPS is brutal. When I start driving with it, it'll start jumping around the map (probably within 500metres so it's not completely inacurate). The GPS didn't really bother me though since I already have an actual GPS in my car. The S3 supposedly uses the same 720 super amoled display as the GNex but all of my friends have the S3 and I find the S3 has a much better looking display for sure. The GNex screen looks a bit grainy when it's displaying a white screen, while the S3s white looks closer to white. That said, the GNex still has a really nice display compared to most phones but S3>GNex for display. I haven't had any experience with the N4 yet but it looks like a great deal and since it's the latest Nexus, it'll stay up to date longer than the other 2 phones.

sig by Malkin71

#23 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

heard the samsung galaxy s4 is coming out early next year in asia. not sure what that means. love my s2 so imagine the s3 is similar.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#24 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

on my s3 right now. thing is lightning fast with endless capabilities only flaws are its size and it is not available in black.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#25 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

So the Nexus 4 came back on sale today on the google play store only to get sold out within minutes again. However, one of my dad's co-workers managed to get one (8 weeks shipping time but whatever), and MIGHT be willing to sell it. He's tentatively asking $470 for the unlocked (not sure if 8GB or 16GB, hoping 16) phone after tax and shipping.

Should I get my dad to go for it? Offer lower? Does it influence the decision whether it's the 8GB or 16 GB for $470, or go for it either way?
Posted Image

#26 CamTheCanuckFan

CamTheCanuckFan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

I just got the galaxy S3 and it was my first smart phone.

Its a great phone. It does have a lot of settings.

But it overall is a great phone

seahd2.jpg

:towel: Thanks To VC For The Sig!  :towel:

#27 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

Get the Galaxy Note.

Sexayyyyyy.

Subbancopy.jpg

#28 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

http://www.intomobil...ng-spring-2013/

I think NOkia has somewhat lost hope in Canada to some extent. They are usually really strong in Asia, and Africa. that being said it's pretty much a fail, and most people only know of hte LUmia through "other people" rather then hearing about it through an advertisement or even the internet. Only Rogers have this phone, and the sad sad thing is, they didn't make 16gb version of the lumia 920, which means, you can only get the 32gb, which to me, is the price of an arm and a leg. So doing some research and chatting with people from Asia, the LUmia is aproximatly 722 dollars upon converting, a couple of the prices from a couple countries. NO offence against Android users, but I find the windows far more efficient smooth, consistent, easier to use, and much more "simplified" I honestly don't know what words to use. I've always been loyal to Nokia. Their 920 is selling real real well. Back orders in China, sell outs in the States and Europe, however we don't know the exact the numbers. They are doing real well, but nothing compared to the S3 or the IP5 well.

Apps. The apps available on the windows phone is suffice enough for me. 130 000 k app. The most important thing is the camera, browsing email, and talking. I expect more developers to focus more on Windows in the next 3 years.

OP, I highly suggest giving the LUmia 920 a hard look. s3 to some extent is outdated. Sony is planning to release their flagship phone to combat the ip5 and s3. How bout this. Why don't you go test out the s3. Then go to Rogers and test out the lUmia 920. then decide. Android often have updating issues, for example right now. No joke. Jelly bean 4.2 have been out for a month already, but they are not even rolled out yet for the s3 or note 2 due to glitches and issues. On top of that, s4 might come out in March of next year. You probably hate apple, but their phone is really worth the money. Just give their phone a test at the apple store. Those are excellent phones too.

Due as much research first op. I'm not even sure why you are limiting yourself to an "android" phone. to be honest I think that's the worst O.S out of the 3 big ones. Anyways good luck.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#29 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Just get one of these too.

Posted Image

#30 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Although I feel trapped to my iphone (icloud, iMessage, macbook.. it's too late to switch everything)

I would go with any of the 3 states. The S3 is a beauty, but that's just my opinion.

Regardless, you wont be making a bad decision.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.