The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gunman kills woman at Pennsylvania church, two men elsewhere

Heretic

I'd just like to add that while mental illness isn't exclusive to the US, the lack of care and in some cases general apathy toward the mentally ill by lazy, incompetent doctors is fairly exclusive to the US. I can't think of any other first world country where the mentally ill are swept under the rug or doped with so much medication that they cannot function in their nation's "normal" society.

I'd like to see some stats to support this assertion MM. Not that I doubt your word, it's just that something like mental illness is so hard to identify and quantify, I'd be surprised if anyone at an official level had any idea what the actual instances of mental illness are in the US. (Or in any other country, for that matter)

It brings up another point:

I would be interested in hearing what congress, in particular, would have to say about pouring resources into some kind of coordinated, government administered mental health program, since this would be contributing to the so-called "nanny state" that Republicans seem to be so hell-bent on avoiding. It would also likely require a tax increase, which is yet another right wing bugaboo.

If left with the choice between that, or restrictions on certain types of firearms and ammo, I wonder what they'd choose? Of course, we know the answer is "Neither", but at least we'd know for sure what their real priorities are.

Ever stop to think that it only seems typical now because there's so much media attention on it? What about the deaths that go unreported? The media sensationalizes everything so much...and makes instant celebrities of these deranged individuals carrying out the mass violence that immediately following there's ALWAYS a sweeps week full of every gun death that is reported anyplace, they magnify everything and blow it out of proportion, and there's a mass hysteria that leads to people striking up the gun debate again. I'm getting sick of hearing it...I hate that these things have happened, but continuing to make a big deal out of it only leads to more attempts at copycatting it. Sad but true. If the media would let something die down, maybe there wouldn't be so much hysteria that continues to permeate the news for months after.

I was shocked and upset for about a day...about a day...and then I got tired of hearing about it, to be honest. It was a horrible tragedy, but ob la di ob la da, life goes on, brah...and just like any other incident...9/11, or a popular celebrity's death...they cannot let it die....and that's what's jaded so many like me away from the news at all.

He was referring to mass shootings, such as occurred at Sandy Hook or Columbine. It was the hyperbole of claiming that these types of incidents happen every day that had his back up.

However, there is no doubt that shootings, of all types, are far more common in the US than in any other developed country.

No in my mind it's "They aren't bothering me personally or my family or anyone I care about, so I really don't have any solutions because I honestly don't care what these people do...but I already stated I'm against military grade weapons, and if they were somehow to pass THAT exception as it pertained to the Second Amendment I'd be satisfied with that, but I know...because I am very observant, that even that exception will be like pulling teeth, so I highly doubt any real change is going to occur" You have some sort of thought in your head that there is strong and solid middle ground on this issue. There isn't. On one hand you have right wing wingnut crackpots like the NRA, on the other you have people like me, bleeding heart liberals who would dearly love to see the US have to give up all of its arms for the sake of peace and attempting to get along with each other. A very treacherous middle ground is populated by those who want an exception made to this amendment, and unfortunately, just like third-party politics, their voices are not strong enough to affect a difference currently in the debate over guns in this country.

I was shocked and upset for about a day...about a day...and then I got tired of hearing about it, to be honest. It was a horrible tragedy, but ob la di ob la da, life goes on, brah...and just like any other incident...9/11, or a popular celebrity's death...they cannot let it die....and that's what's jaded so many like me away from the news at all.

You sure seem to assume a lot about people you don't know. A, that you know what I'm thinking, and B, that you know what Americans in general think. Who the hell are you to speak for me, or for Americans?

Maybe you're right though, and it wouldn't work. But it sure as hell isn't going to work if you don't try. I'd rather try something and fail than sit back and assume it would.

K...first of all...you were the one who had something snarky to say to me when you said "so in your mind it's either do nothing or confront gun nuts"...so, I naturally assumed you were talking about a middle ground...I apologize if I misinterpreted what you were saying...but please...and I'm being sincere here...what do you think the best course of action is on this issue? How do you suggest we begin? They already tried an assault weapons ban once, but in 2004 it expired under a "sunset provision". There've been numerous attempts to renew it but they cannot get enough support for it. What do you suggest they do?

Archived