The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

7thMan

Yes. I just started living in a small town with a big music community, which I find far more interesting than a half-baked hockey season. If I end up at a pub where the game is playing, that's fine, but I'm not even going to tune in to hockey at home. I see so much "stop being ridiculous, boycotting is stupid and will do nothing" here when just a few weeks ago everyone was angry enough to abstain from even thinking about being a hockey fan.

I'm serious about taking my business elsewhere. Who else?

Why should I punish myself for THEIR behaviour?

The people that say they will boycott watching, even on TV, are either faux hockey fans, or they are over-the-top stupid.

So you will be denying yourself your favorite sport and meanwhile those players and owners will continue to rake in millions and live the good life. Your little monk-like self flagellation will go unnoticed and be irrelevant.

And the very same people that crowed the about the poor support workers and pubs suffering are now the same people that want to make those workers suffer for the rest of the season. Nice.

Guest Gumballthechewy

However, I have no beef with the players; I am disgusted by the unprofessional behaviour of the ownership who should have more business sense.

Guest Gumballthechewy

There's still commercials. But the way it works is it picks up the feed from usually the home team. So for example if the game is in Pittsburg you would have the Pittsburg TV crew and a bunch of commercials from Pittsburg.

Not yet but once they have the season figured out I will still owe some money for the tickets (I would be mostly paid up though) so I am sure I will be hearing from them.

I don't really care if the owner was for or against it it's how they treat me afterwords that matters.

Ever consider that maybe some people want to shun the league because they disagree with how they operate more than they want to watch the games?

Also, calling people stupid who don't think the same way as yourself? Who do you think looks more stupid with that kind of comment?

Its not about punishing yourself, dunno why some of you keep saying that.. Many people are pissed and aren't willing to just roll over now that hockey is back.. that to me makes more sense than just being complacent over this entire fiasco and pretending like nothing happened.

I don't really care if my boycott of the league makes any difference to anyone other than myself, it still comes down to principle... just like walmart or mcdonalds, I disagree with what they are doing and refuse to support them in any way I can.. what effect it has on them actually doesn't really matter to me.. Id sooner give up the nhl for a season even if it means missing out on my team.. there are plenty things better and more important to focus on than hockey.. I have a feeling the NHL and its players will find that out here.

I am so sick of this bad attitude that customers don't matter. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Let me turn this around on you. Business don't have entitlements to function. Welcome to the real world. No customers, no income, no business. Some businesses thrive. Some die. Stop listening to your customers they will go elsewhere.

Tick them off enough, they will find other companies to go to. There's a lot of stores I won't buy from. Will that make a huge difference? Maybe short term no. But long term it will.

The NHL formed from the ashes of the NHA. Some of the teams are from the WHA era. In the NFL there's a lot of teams from the merger from the NFL and AFL. The NHL if it want's to make good money has to stop treating it's customers like crap.

I say do what you want. You've got season's tickets? Fine. You buy merchandise, also fine. I'm not going to a game, or buying merchandise this year. That's my way of letting my voice be heard.

The first wrong assumption is that individuals don't matter. They do.

Individuals, lead to small groups. Small groups lead to larger groups. Larger groups turn into a majority. If enough people get sick of the NHL, they will turn to other pursuits. Look at Boxing. Boxing used to be a major sport in North America. You would have reporters in the newspapers and TV following it. There was fights on TV every weekend. Now you hardly hear anyone talk about it. I'm sure it's making a fraction of the revenue it used to make. Why did this happen? The promoters were too busy wanting to make money, instead of providing good matches, and keeping the sport going. I don't want to see the NHL turn into boxing. It's already pretty much not relevant in the US. Canadians are what's providing majority of the revenue.

Comparing the strike to teachers? Apples and oranges. We're not talking about classroom sizes, or education. We're talking two sides fighting over how much of the pie they get. Or more like two kids fighting in a sandbox.

End rant.

Oh... You are scum. Don't even try to deny it. Small minded people like you are the only ones who think their emotional addiction to watching rich people run around on a sheet of ice in pretty colours is more important than the life of a human being who is literally burning to death voluntarily on behalf of a much more valuable way of life than your own.

I don't expect you to have a clue, but this is more exposition than it is advice, since I don't think you're worth my advice in any way. You look like the kind of person who smokes a pack every day and gets hammered on weekends because you claim to be just to weak for anything else, and justify it by thinking the general populace is just the same as you. The fact that you see not watching hockey as punishment is merely proof if this. Only losers pull the "not a real hockey fan" card. If being a "real" hockey fan makes me like you, I do not want to be any sort of hockey fan. If someone comes up with proof that any of the opinions you express in this post are prerequisites to being a "real" hockey fan, I will remove myself from these boards and never return, never watch another hockey game of any sort again, and never voluntarily perceive any hockey-related media for the rest of my life.

Nice.

It's not the fact that there was a dispute that bothers me, it's the gross unprofessionalism to a borderline criminal extend that the NHL exhibited. Billionaires who can't handle a guy being in the room to close a deal? I think it's obvious who really needs to grow up here.

It would be hard to boycott the Canucks in any way if I lived over in BC. I don't see any greedy players in their organisation, I don't see a stingy ownership or any disrespect for the fans.

I see the opposite. I love the organisation and the players relationship with the Community, their charity work and their efforts on Mindcheck, visiting sick children and generally trying to give back something to the people of BC.

There is no doubt there are greedy people/players, agents etc in the sport but I don't happen to believe they exist in the Canucks. So I would be more than happy to keep buying their merchandise, their tickets or their jerseys. I know some of the revenue finds it's way back to the NHL but I would try my best to be selective.

I am at a disadvantage over here in that I must buy NHL Gamecenter Live if I want to watch Canucks games live. I'm not going to deny myself that pleasure just to spite the NHL. Life is too short.............especially if you are already in your sixties. :rolleyes:

It's not the fact that there was a dispute that bothers me, it's the gross unprofessionalism to a borderline criminal extend that the NHL exhibited. Billionaires who can't handle a guy being in the room to close a deal? I think it's obvious who really needs to grow up here.

Archived