The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Computer help - PC-Network-Crash/Freeze

nux4lyfe

OK Computer nerds, I have given up and have left it up to you!

All tough I'm not oblivious to computers and how they work, I believe I have hit a roadblock.

So a few month's back (Oct) I switched my internet with Shaw, rest of my family decided they didn't need it, so I got my own box from shaw (SMC).

...The old internet box has now been gone (which worked flawlessly) and since then I've had a new one and consistantly had problems...

My PC computer randomly freezes/crashes, usually happens when I'm downloading something (mostly multiple things @ once)..I'm positive that it is a network/modem problem because even when I hooked my modem to my laptop, It started crashing all the time like my PC.

So freezes my PC (XP) and Crashes (blue screen) my laptop (Vista)...the error on my laptop does suggest a network problem but I still can't get the work around.

After installing my Wi-Fi, my laptop works perfect with internet and no crash what so ever.

But since my PC is directly hooked up to my modem, I get random freezes all the time.

I've googled relentlessly to try and get answers and have done the following things to no avail..

-Upgrade all my drivers

-memory test (passed)

-HD test (passed)

-uninstall software

-swap memery - leave one stick in, test it, same with other etc..

-check cables

-clean inside computer with comp air

-New Power Supply 540 Watts

I've tried everything I could think of but can't figure it out, I did change some settings in my Hardware>virtual memory to custom size and did appears to have made a bit of a diff..less freezes...

I really don't know what else I can change those settings to as I am not too familiar with it and It's almost impossible for me to get a hold of Shaw, especially given my schedule but if anyone out there is familiar with this prob please help a brotha out, I'd be forever grateful!!! :)

I'm no geek, but... since it works fine over wi-fi, I am tempted to think it may be your network adapter. The only real difference between running wirelessly or wired (besides speed and security) is the physical connection itself.

I don't suppose you have a spare one to swap it with?

I'm no geek, but... since it works fine over wi-fi, I am tempted to think it may be your network adapter. The only real difference between running wirelessly or wired (besides speed and security) is the physical connection itself.

I don't suppose you have a spare one to swap it with?

I missed the part where it crashes your laptop as well though, so that kind of rules the network card out anyways. Plus, I am probably dating myself a little there. We used to have to add our own network cards.

Based on everything you have tried, I can't think of anything other than the modem itself. Do you have a buddy you can go hook up your computer to his modem to see if it does the same thing? That would be one way to confirm or rule it out before having to call Shaw.

That's a good idea!, I'm going to have to call a few friends to see if they could bring their laptop down and test it out, but would it not be the same thing as what happened to my laptop already? 2 comps already had the same problem..If I give him/her my modem to take home would it still work with their computer?

I think there would be a problem with how the modem is activated on the network if you tried taking it somewhere else. That's why I was thinking of taking your PC or laptop elsewhere. If it works fine on a different Shaw modem, then obviously the problem isn't your computer.

Yeah. Okay, good.

The first thing I would do in the future is to always check hardware first (for anyone who doesn't know). Because you'll spend all day fartin' around on the PC looking for a solution when you don't need to if it's a hardware problem. Which makes sense considering it worked fine for you the other day then you get new equipment and now you have connectivity problems.

... Of course I didn't follow my own advice today. I have this entry level job, part time, installing software on PC's, etc. Connecting a PC to a network isn't rocket science. However I spent hours trying to figure out why the hell this one PC wouldn't connect. Ultimately it proved to be a cable issue. Which made no sense because I used that exact cable to establish a different PC to the same network just the day before. It must have been damaged over night somehow. I was on the fence about that one * It might be a cable problem... but it worked yesterday just fine...*

very odd. i have never heard of that happening but from the sounds of it (and echoing what others have said), I think you got a faulty modem from shaw.

it seems it is having an authentication problem with the ethernet (internet cable) protocol that is probably causing the communication between the two to fail after a certain amount of time. since you say wifi is okay (which uses a different protocol), its something with the physical connection.

this problem could either be a result from:

1. faulty ethernet cable

2. corrupt firmware

3. faulty port on the modem side

to remedy the situation:

1. try a new cable (not sure if you did this already)

2+3. call shaw and have them give you a new modem

i could be totally off here, but i hope that helps and you find the cause of the problem soon!

Yeah. Okay, good.

The first thing I would do in the future is to always check hardware first (for anyone who doesn't know). Because you'll spend all day fartin' around on the PC looking for a solution when you don't need to if it's a hardware problem. Which makes sense considering it worked fine for you the other day then you get new equipment and now you have connectivity problems.

... Of course I didn't follow my own advice today. I have this entry level job, part time, installing software on PC's, etc. Connecting a PC to a network isn't rocket science. However I spent hours trying to figure out why the hell this one PC wouldn't connect. Ultimately it proved to be a cable issue. Which made no sense because I used that exact cable to establish a different PC to the same network just the day before. It must have been damaged over night somehow. I was on the fence about that one * It might be a cable problem... but it worked yesterday just fine...*

Like I've stated before, I am not oblivious to computers and how they work..and yes it could have very well been a software (which has happened to me in the past) issue as much as a hardware issue..which, after all my tests I came to the conclusion that it was a network issue, When you are trying to troubleshoot things, everything doesn't seem so easy as you think, like canucks.bradley said 'very odd. i have never heard of that happenin' so like him, You'd least expect that was the issue...and he seems like he knows what he's talking about.

Archived