The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion about the music/DJ

Sniperslayer

HELLO FRIENDS!

Make no mistake - I absolutely LOVE all of your comments and passion for our beloved Canucks! Wouldn't have it any other way. There's nothing worse than an apathetic and lame fan base. I'm proud to be among Canucks Nation, as well as being the DJ.

Now - you must all understand that I take this very seriously. At the start of every year, there's a team that develops elements such as the opening video, player entrance piece, goal song and many other important elements of game presentation. The team represents a wide variety of demographics and tastes, just like our fan base, and we often have the same types of debates that show up on this message board.

With every creative element including music, we aim to try and appeal to our diverse fan base and also reflect the unique identity of the hockey club and our city. We focus on providing a soundtrack to the action on the ice which will create the best energy in the arena, while using a good combination of progressive, contemporary music in addition to classic rock and other iconic songs that fit the moment, the sport, and our club.

However, many of the artists that you all have referenced - I do NOT play. Starting next home game - Jan 30 vs. Colorado - I am going to start posting the playlists either after the game, or the next morning. I encourage you all to have a look, game by game, and maybe then get a better sense of what's actually being heard at the home games. (I haven’t played Rihanna once this year.....)

My most challenging task is to keep it fresh, and not repeat songs - if we can help it. If you listen to professional sports broadcasts - as I suspect most of you do - you'll hear the same song being played multiple times at each game, and the vast majority of those songs would be the same as they were in 1981. We're trying new things - some of which work well, some of which don't - in an attempt to be on the cutting edge of not only music, but overall game presentation.

It's also very much appreciated all the suggestions that you guys send in. For obvious reasons, there are selections that I simply can't play during the game (eg. those on the heavier side of speed metal). But make no mistake, I have gotten, and continue to get, many great ideas from the boards, and implement them during the games.

Enough said. Know that we take the comments to heart, and do try and please as many people as possible. Keep on being involved, and we’ll do the same.

DJD

I think you've COMPLETELY missed the boat DJ Dave, people are asking for heavier music, not necessarily Speed Metal as you just (exaggerated) per se. Even a little of the above listed Audioslave-level (as far as intensity goes) rock would do, with less pop music (which simply does not work with nhl hockey). Forget trying to please all parties and try to create a FEELING of greater intensity within the arena, which you have failed to do in all your years thus far. We see it happening in all these other arenas (which have been listed at noseum) and in other pro sports leagues to perfection (the nfl, the nba) so why be so stubborn?

DJ Dave,

I hope ever single person in this thread submitted a song for you to review. We all have opinions about what is "awesome" and what "sucks" and i just wanted to thank you for Giving a damn... its more than we could say about a lot of people, right?

Very often, I can be hard to please, but at least i recognize when people are at least TRYING to make me happy. So thank you for TRYING to make everyone happy (and not just waggling your middle finger in everyone's face).

Peace out, Go Canucks Go!

Very Professional.

Even with 50 or so "plus" votes, thats a tiny percentage of the views.

I like the Canucks music. Sure, the dance stuff isn't really my thing, but at the games i have been to it is clear that there are those who do. I am whole heartedly happy that we don't come out to ACDC or NICKELBACK like every single other team and even happier that the goal song isn't 20 years old like in San Jose.

Vancouver fans (or a large group of them...the vocal minority) seem to always want something to bitch about. Look at Boston's fans and you'll see people who stand behind their team 100%. You're either a fan or you aren't, but if you are, your support is unwavering.

It isn't the music people. It's the fact that you can hear it.

well I have to say I muchly apprecite your comment. it is BANG ON.

a good amount of the tracks I play during the games are not songs I will listen to while driving to Whistler, but you're absolutely correct - THEY WORK! Remember last season - that dancing kid who managed to go viral and end up on CNN and The Today Show? that was LMFAO - Sexy and I know it. Not what many of those posting here want to hear during a game, but certainly did catch on!

As I've always said - I appreciate the passion....

DJD

DJ Dave,

I hope ever single person in this thread submitted a song for you to review. We all have opinions about what is "awesome" and what "sucks" and i just wanted to thank you for Giving a damn... its more than we could say about a lot of people, right?

Very often, I can be hard to please, but at least i recognize when people are at least TRYING to make me happy. So thank you for TRYING to make everyone happy (and not just waggling your middle finger in everyone's face).

Peace out, Go Canucks Go!

That's all I ask you know! Okay, you don't prefer certain genres - either do I to some extent - but instead of just yelling, send in some thoughts! we keep track of all the ideas, and try and use those that fit. It happens all the time...

Really appreciate your support.

Canucks fans, good, bad or indifferent, are the best, and I wouldn't have it any other way...

DJD

Someone posted this a while ago and I was like "Woah Ive been thinking this forever!" I think we need a song that when we walk in we feel like we got some serious swag coming on. Like you dont mess with us, dont forget who we are. Kind of a cocky song. Now this song wouldnt work for a few reasons but this song is a perfect EXAMPLE of the kind of song I think would get us feeling like we rock, and were back to rock you again : Allow me to introduce

I could be wrong, but people who go to Canucks games could be the most dead, lifeless, quiet fans in the entire league.

Whenever i go to a game (around 4 or 5 a year) I really get this uncomfortable feeling whenever I'm loud or i stand up and yell something. I get the feeling people around me are thinking in their heads ''Would this guy shutup? I'm trying to talk on the phone''. And no i never yell profanities, maybe a few choice words that some might not appreciate but this is a hockey game, it should be expected.

Unfortunately the biggest problem is the people who go to hockey games are more of a casual fan type and not the die hard type.

The point that i'm trying to make is the vibe in Rogers Arena is very hush hush, and that vibe can be somewhat changed with some good music. I find it hard to get into the rowdy mood when Miley Cyrus is blaring through the speakers.

I could be wrong, but people who go to Canucks games could be the most dead, lifeless, quiet fans in the entire league.

Whenever i go to a game (around 4 or 5 a year) I really get this uncomfortable feeling whenever I'm loud or i stand up and yell something. I get the feeling people around me are thinking in their heads ''Would this guy shutup? I'm trying to talk on the phone''. And no i never yell profanities, maybe a few choice words that some might not appreciate but this is a hockey game, it should be expected.

Unfortunately the biggest problem is the people who go to hockey games are more of a casual fan type and not the die hard type.

The point that i'm trying to make is the vibe in Rogers Arena is very hush hush, and that vibe can be somewhat changed with some good music. I find it hard to get into the rowdy mood when Miley Cyrus is blaring through the speakers.

Miley has never EVER been played at a Canucks game.

DJD

I cant believe you are turning on your DJ. haha... its just music and you have torches and pitchforks.

I understand the POINT you're trying to make but do the ends justify the means?

you guys could use a bit of practice on being respectful because i can bet money you wouldnt say those things to his face (if he was standing in front of you). you know why? cause its flipping RUDE. The dude has a boss and you're NOT it...

Treat people how you want to be treated and dont go thinking your the "Boss of the world".

Im sure youre a really great guys but this just seems unproductive and critical.

you see, my problem with that whole "music that appeals to a wider range of fans" is kind of a copout... this is a hockey game! not a top 40 dance club. beef up the music, hockey is an aggresive game, so play some aggresive music to get the crowd into it! trying to appeal to what people like to hear on the radio is NO WAY to get them pumped up... are people pumped up listening to ryan seacrests countdown on the drive home??? i sure as hell am, but not the kind of pumped up you want a hockey crowd to be.

the best example i can think of is the saddledome... they know how to play hockey music and get the crowd cheering (although i guess watching that graveyard of a team gets you excited over the little things) but still... least they get the crowd into it. and this crowd needs something to inject them with some excitement. its like rogers arena is asleep until the playoffs.

I don't understand why they are working on the intro song when it's our goal song that is absolutely terrible. Seriously, get rid of it. I don't really understand why they ever got rid of Holiday. I thought it was a bit of a random choice at first, but now I associate it with the 2011 stanley cup playoffs and I like it even more. And then we change it for that garbage vamonos, vamonos song? It's soooooooooooo bad. Deal with the goal song first.

If nothing else, go to something standard like Song 2 by Blur, Zombie Nation or Rock'n Roll Part 2.

I sent this in as mine for the NU2 thing, what did you guys send?

I chose this for my entry for a few reasons.

I like it because it gets you pumped in a good way right off the bat with the level of musicianship involved. I can just imagine the camera cutting to the boys in the tunnel and Schneider or Luongo leading the boys at 15 seconds. It also sounds intimidating if you're out in the dark on the ice with this playing waiting for the other guys to come out. The whole mystic element ties in with the native art applied to the orca on the Canucks logo and yet it's not overdone. Rush are getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year, these guys are repping Canada and are well known and resonate well with hockey fans.

Archived