• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Problem 1:

45 million committed to 10 of 23 players:

Schneider

Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

i hear Toronto is still accepting new fans... You should look into it...

#32 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Problem 1:

Schneider

Next year's salary cap is just a touch over 60 million. 15 mill left for the rest (13 players) meaning there will be no more upgrading via UFA or trades unless someone from the above list is traded

Problem 2:

The core above didn't get the job done in 2011 (peak of our window) and are now older, more expensive and for some, got health issues (Kesler, Edler, Booth)

Problem 3:

We got absolutely nothing from the farm that can give us a boost. Where are our own versions of hubedeau, tarasenko or kadri?? In fact we are probably at the bottom of the league in terms of quality prospects. Edbett and Schroeder is the best we got? Kassian is a total failure.

Conclusion: likely mediocrity for the next 5 years until we start rebuilding again. How many more years before the Canucks can win the Cup? <_<

Please go to your Stanley Cup window, open it and step through.

This whole notion of a Stanley Cup Window is crap. Did the La Kings have a Stanley Cup window last year when they snuck into the playoffs with a late season surge? Teams are in a constant building state. Are there some concerns with injuries, aging and the new cap? Sure.

IT WAS ONE GAME.
Posted Image

#33 casofilia.canuck.nz

casofilia.canuck.nz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Give everyone a break. "One loss does not a season make". Would everyone please wait till we have a losing run of 6 before you put in the boots. As is said we have lost the first game of a season a few times and the "world didn't end" nor did the "sky fall on our heads".

Go Canucks Go
Go CANUCKS Go.

#34 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,603 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

• Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce, etc.
  • Low drafting due to extended years of on ice success
  • Possible upgrades coming back in goalie trade
  • Core being locked in is a good thing
  • #signsthelockoutisover

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#35 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

while we are thin-ish on prospects we do have:

Tanev- solid D man
Kassian- looks ok but needs more than 10 min a game to develop- also would look better playing with better players.
Jensen- playing very well against men in SEL
Corrado- will likely make the team next year.
Cannauton- has shown some PP promise in AHL cannot give up on him yet
Lack- 2 straight years of stellar AHL play- unfortunate injury this year
Schroeder-would be on the roster if Kes and Booth were healthy, as AV said he would want Schroeder to be surrounded by better players when they bring him up

That's 7 prospects ready to play NHL hockey this year/next year

Anima- glad you brought up huberdeau and Kadri- FLA and TO sucked for a mega long time and got top 5 picks to show for it. That's what happens- you tank- you get top 5 picks- you get better- you get bottom 5 picks. So figure it out Anima!!!

what he said...
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#36 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Your window for posting good topics never opened.

Subbancopy.jpg

#37 Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Someone better tell the players they're not going to win the Cup. It might save them some effort, energy, and disappointment. *sigh* And here I thought we could just be happy to see hockey again, but this OP has really set me straight with his official statements.

So... um... Go Habs?
Posted Image
[Why 2.0? Because after 9 years, I lost my password and email... huzzah]

#38 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Problem 1- Not a problem at all. In fact its a blessing that we have all our core players locked up for the long term at the respectable amounts they are paid.

Problem 2- More expensive? You make no sense, you just finished saying that our core is locked up for the long term. How do they get more expensive? Also i'd say they got the job done. Playoffs every year and back to back president trophies.. only one team wins the cup and each year we are in contention.

Problem 3- Kassian has been here about 10 games... He's not the failure, your post is the failure.

Canucks fans like you are the reason CDC is a joke. :picard:
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#39 missdoh

missdoh

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Are you serious Amina? Just based on this, you're going to nail the coffin shut on the Canucks? Then you're not true fan! I think it's a curse that no one could break.. the Saturday Season Opening curse. Notice how the home teams that opened on Saturday failed to give their fans something to cheer about? Now do you see them getting ready to jump off the bandwagon because they "fear" that their team is losing it? NO.

The answer is NO.

For all those, this might be my first reply to forum posts but I have been following more threads and seriously, it's time to grab a scrubber and some cleaning products and scrub out all the negativity!
The last thing our boys need is negativity coming from their fans!

I know people are all annoyed about the lockout, annoyed about having a shortened season but seriously, we GOT HOCKEY BACK. Isn't that better than nothing?

From what I see: our boys did their best last night, and if there was ANYONE to blame, it would be us. The fans. Why? Because we're putting so much stress on them, expecting our boys to wow us, to bring hockey back to life in our arena again that we fail to remember one important point. It's just one game and we're making it sound like the last game they'll ever play?

Schneider did his very best and I'm proud of him, and I'm even more proud of Luongo!
I love the boys more than anything, this team is my team, is our team, is everyone's (that lives in/from Vancouver) team.

So let's stop with all the negativity, Amina, you especially, and divert all that into some positive thoughts and cheer our boys on tonight! Same the those bandwagon fans.. don't be ready to jump just yet, if you do jump and regret later on, you're not welcome back. You're no true fan, you're just a wannabe.

#40 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,228 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

So according to CDC we were supposed to go 48-0-0 this season.

307mg00.jpg

#41 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Problem 1:

Schneider

Problem 2:

Problem 3:

hard to get good quality prospects when you have a team that continues to get late draft picks. I would rather have late draft picks for years then year after year of top 5 picks...like Edmonton - sure they have a good future but are have been a losing franchise for too many years now. I would hate to be a bottom team for years, would be hard to support the team at times tbh.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#42 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

• Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce, etc.
  • Low drafting due to extended years of on ice success
  • Possible upgrades coming back in goalie trade
  • Core being locked in is a good thing
  • #signsthelockoutisover

Yup, I'm actually excited about how Gillis is quietly putting in places the next generation of this team. Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado, Rodin, and Kassian...plus add in what hopefully will be another really good prospect coming back in a deal for Lui. Our prospect pool is and will not be as bad as many seem to think. AV just has to start working them into the lineup at some point in the next couple of years.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#43 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,656 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Problem 1:

Schneider

Problem 2:

Problem 3:

So many things, where to start?

First of all, you know that we don't just get to start randomly picking? - that there's an order and because we've been a top team, that is reflected in that? You speak as if it's for a lack of trying but it's simply how the process works.

Secondly, you're already writing off our prospects and upcoming players? Awesome, I should end this now then (but won't).

Now, I'm no expert as I don't follow too closely - but Kadri hasn't exploded in either....I recall he was being pressured to prove himself and was being questioned as to his readiness. Players WILL have peaks and valleys and you simply aren't giving enough time to assess the successes/failures in my view.

Patience.

Posted Image

#44 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

It is only the first game but you do bring up some valid points.
This team does not have the right personel to play against a big line like the Ducks first line or when they come up against a tight checking hard hitting team like Boston or LA. That has to be addressed when Luongo is traded. Hopefully MG can get some players that fill the bill....big skilled players that can do more than check.
Last night their was very few Canucks doing what they had to win. The PK was awful as was the goaltending. In a shortened season, it will not take too many more of these stinkers before we will be counting on another team to lose so that we make the playoffs by default.
I hope that last nights game served as a wakeup call and that we see a complete team that is hungry to win tonight.

#45 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

The poster is entitled to make his points and just because he doesn't think that the team is good enough, that doesn't make him any less of a Canuck fan than you. Grow up and show some respect for other peoples views. This is a discussion forum after all.

#46 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Yup, I'm actually excited about how Gillis is quietly putting in places the next generation of this team. Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado, Rodin, and Kassian...

"Quietly putting in places" = draft picks. Every NHL team drafts players annually. This is not something exclusive to the Canucks or Mike Gillis.

And you're really including Anton Rodin in that list of "next generation" for the Canucks?

#47 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Our window is closed because of people like you actually. One cracking game, and apparently, our season is over.
Are you saying if we beat the oil tonight were back to contending again?

What's joke.
Posted Image

#48 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Problem 1:

Schneider

Problem 2:

Problem 3:

How the hell do you ppl live at all? I have to wonder if you were a fan during the 70s and 80s, you probably would've killed yourself.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#49 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

"Quietly putting in places" = draft picks. Every NHL team drafts players annually. This is not something exclusive to the Canucks or Mike Gillis.

And you're really including Anton Rodin in that list of "next generation" for the Canucks?

No kidding Sherlock! I was referring the type of player...bigger and faster...something this team hasn't had much of in the last few years. True Rodin's success is yet to be determined so I may be overly enthusiastic on him...but he's big and fast and just turned 22 so hopefully develops into what the team hoped when they drafted him.

Edited by MJDDawg, 20 January 2013 - 11:47 AM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#50 DCR

DCR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Isn't it a good thing that hockey players don't have to climb through a window to make it into the playoffs?

#51 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

lol how can u call kassian a failure? hes 21 and has played less than half a season for us in total games played... smh

wheres our version or huberdeau, tarasenko????? HELLO!?!? look at where the blues and panthers sat in the standings a few years ago before they started getting better???

thats the consulation for SUCKING HARD, UNLIKE THE CANUCKS! you get high draft picks.... we sucked hard in the nineties and look what we got to show for it. back to back art ross winners the TWINS!!! BLUE CHIPS LIKE EDLER, SCHNEIDER!!

Our "huberdeaus and tarasenkos" came about a decade earlier than these teams.

MAN CDC MAKES ME MAD LOL

#52 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

please burn yiur jersery and never come back lotal fan never gives yp

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#53 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

FIrst game of the season we lose and everyone is in panic mode and ready to jump ship.

Not really. Actually the majority are shooting down these threads faster then they come up. It's just a small percentage of doomsayers that make it look like a lot by creating threads. So don;t worry about a few bad apples, they don't represent the entire barrel.

Edited by TimberWolf, 20 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#54 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

This thread would not exist if the Canucks had won last night.

#55 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

you friggin kidding me you idiot? Last year we lost home opener 4-3 against penguins in OT. We won Prez trophy. 2 years ago we lost home opener 2-1 to LA, we went to Cup Finals. 3 years ago we lost home opener to flames 3-5, we went to game 6 in the second round. From what I see, losing home opener is fine if it'll get us to the playoffs and finals... so shut up!

When's the last time we won the home opener?
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#56 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

This was a reality check game for the team.. now let them do what they do every year and start to work together to win games.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#57 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

So according to CDC we were supposed to go 48-0-0 this season.

Are you kidding? You know that that's not good enough for some people on this board. We have to go 49-0-0 in this 48 game season to appease them, then sweep the playoffs.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#58 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

"Are you an official here? Cause you've officially just"...lost...

Edited by oldnews, 20 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#59 Red Dragons

Red Dragons

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

This is all very pleasing to me, after being a huge canuck fan for over 20 years and the players and league showing they don't give a crap about the people that generate all the money they have been fighting over. I can't wait to watch this team fail at in every aspect of the game. i won't be watching the games but i sure will watch all the highlights just so i can cheer there trials and tribulations. This middle finger is for you canucks organization and i really hope you guys go 1-47.

#60 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Having only a 48 game schedule,not having Kesler and booth in the lineup really hurts

The fact that none of our prospects can crack the bottom nine forwards really goes to show how poor the talent pool is in the farm.

Yes we can talk about gaunce and Jensen and corrado but weren't we talking about hodgson and sauve and Schroeder a few yrs back,where are they now

In the mike gillis era, the Canucks have shown an consistent inability to develop their younger players, kassian for one should be playing for the wolves and getting 20 min a game,he's only up here so that the hodgson trade doesn't look so bad.

We all watched how Kesler and burrows develop in front of our eyes as third line players. Do we have anything remotely like them
right now. It was a pain to watch the nucks last night, they can't score on even strength, they run around in their own zone and the coverage was awful. For those of you who say this was just the first game, well I would understand if this group was getting to know
each other, but they basically have been intact for the last three years. It's not that they lost last night, it wasn't even a close game.

All is not as well in Canuck land as some of you think, we transitioned from linden to bure to messier (sort of) to naslund to bertuzzi to the sedins to luongo to kes and bur and now there is nobody. Every night we are going to watch the sedins get mauled, Raymond and Hansen fall down,nthe total lack of skills with the remaining forwards, Edler drop passes being picked off, bieksa running around and Ballard looking towards the sky. This is the results of mike gillis hockey, what happened to the puck possession team, what happened to the bold moves, what happened to developing young players so they can step in and make things happen.

Yes the Canucks have played at a very high level but to not see that there is something wrong and the future is not quite as bright as before is just as bad as bandwagoners who jump on and off. I'm not a bandwagoner, just a fan for 37 yrs and I'm starting to see and feel like the era just before mike Keenan put his mark on our team, get ready for a bumpy ride

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.