565 replies to this topic

#61 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Amazing how Raymond is so soft, yet he is the only 2nd liner who survived the offseason. He's been playing with an anchor at center, and has put forth a solid showing in the first 2 games this year.

There was an article last year showing the majority of Raymond shots and chances were from between the dots and not the perimeter.

Bottom line, NOBODY in the bottom 6 is better at his job. Higgins LOL, Hansen meh, Weise maybe someday.

From the start of the playoffs last year until now, the list of Canucks that have been better than him, is very very short.

#62 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Amazing how Raymond is so soft, yet he is the only 2nd liner who survived the offseason. He's been playing with an anchor at center, and has put forth a solid showing in the first 2 games this year.

There was an article last year showing the majority of Raymond shots and chances were from between the dots and not the perimeter.

Bottom line, NOBODY in the bottom 6 is better at his job. Higgins LOL, Hansen meh, Weise maybe someday.

From the start of the playoffs last year until now, the list of Canucks that have been better than him, is very very short.

yawn, he is still Raymond.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#63 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Raymond > Ebbett

#64 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Raymond > Ebbett

Me drunk > Ebbett

#65 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

And we have had enough of you. You break your back and try to play hockey again.

yeah, because he was putting up crosby-esque numbers, and that injury was what set him back???

raymond was brutal long before his injury
Fire MG

#66 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

His back is still hurting....it must be!

#67 Dynamic Innovator

Dynamic Innovator

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Raymond's ice time is pretty much wasted time right now.

He's a decent penalty killer and has great wheels but that sounds a lot like some other dudes that play that role far more effectively.  Hansen, Lapierre and Higgins are much better checkers than Raymond. He isn't a physical player and he doesn't have the size to be one.

For Raymond to be an asset to the team he has to score.  To score a player has to have a wicked shot or have great hands or have great hockey sense or be willing to stand in front of the net or be super determined or know how to get open or.or.or.  Sadly, Raymond is not exhibiting any of the required characteristics.

Instead we have a sprint to offensive zone, a hard turn  back up the boards, some back checking, a spin move in the shootout and the fall down move.  No shots. No passes. Not in position for a feed. No hitting.  No driving to the net.

I really thought he had huge potential but I don't see his value anymore.  He doesn't fit and I can see no scenario where he is re-signed for next year.  The Canucks need big, physical, fast players, not small, light, perimeter players.

Also another sniper. Or awesome intimidator.  I'll take either...

Edited by Dynamic Innovator, 22 January 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#68 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

POPULAR

And we have had enough of you. You break your back and try to play hockey again.

That's funny because I remember it clearly last year when Raymond came back from his injury and I can tell you I was the first to say I wasn't expecting much from the guy at all just because of his injury. Although what happened, Raymond came back played the best anyone has ever seen the guy play in his life basically, for exactly 2 Games, he was battling for pucks skating yard being aggressive, then out of know where after he played 2 games it was like oh it's back to old Raymond, no jump, barley fighting for pucks it was a joke. The fact that I haven't seen this guy play as strong as he did coming off his back injury in those 2 games is pretty pathetic and the OP is right I'm sick of Raymond and his BS out there, he doesn't deserve to be on this team anymore period. He has had more than enough time to get back to game shape, more than enough.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#69 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Mason Raymond is an excellent penalty killer, and adds a lot with the proper line-mates. Raymond, Kesler, and Hansen together would make an excellent shut-down line. The only reason people complain at CDC is that he doesn't create alot offensively when he carries the puck into the zone himself. Quite simply, he isn't a solid play-maker.

I think the issue is that he doesn't use his speed to his advantage offensively; because he stays in proper position most of the time. I don't consider him a defensive liability at all. Sure, if he wanted to cheat and play like Grabner or Afinogenov, he'd get his 25 goals the crybabies want here, but I'd rather have a responsible winger. He s a good complimentary player. You find a center that makes players around him better, and Raymond will get a lot "better".

Funny that you mentioned Grabner. A player who plays on a crappier team, a regular on the PK, used in defensive situations and able to put up 30+ goals.... you're saying that Mason Raymond is better than him? lol

Raymond doesn't fit as a top-6 on a contender. So what if he's able to backcheck? The Canucks are putting him in a position to provide offense, not defense. It's not like he's a top checker like Hansen or Burrows either. Being able to check doesn't mean you're excellent at it... and Raymond isn't anywhere close to be excellent.

To jog some memory....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPGOsHg8FE

#70 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Funny that you mentioned Grabner. A player who plays on a crappier team, a regular on the PK, used in defensive situations and able to put up 30+ goals.... you're saying that Mason Raymond is better than him? lol

Raymond doesn't fit as a top-6 on a contender. So what if he's able to backcheck? The Canucks are putting him in a position to provide offense, not defense. It's not like he's a top checker like Hansen or Burrows either. Being able to check doesn't mean you're excellent at it... and Raymond isn't anywhere close to be excellent.

To jog some memory....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPGOsHg8FE

Does that mean this guys sucks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Av80QPOegU
Posted Image

#71 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

We're two games into the year. Can we cool it with the "(x) player is useless" threads? Nobody's looked very good so far.

It's CDC, so no, threads like these will continue to sprout up every single day.

RIP LB RR PD

#72 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Does that mean this guys sucks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Av80QPOegU

We all know about the entire package of Hamhuis and it speaks for itself.
We also know about Mason Raymond and his "break out" season is more and more appearing to be an aberration rather than his true form.

He's barely a borderline top-6 in the NHL. Are there any other players in the NHL's top-6 you would choose Raymond over?

#73 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Never liked Raymond. The only thing he's ever done that impressed me is his spin o rama shootout move. Other than that he is totally useless. I cant believe they keep giving him chance after chance. He should have been cut a long time ago. I agree he is softm brings no grit to the table, and doesnt make up for it with offense either. He's a waste of a roster spot.

Edited by Heli_Kopitar, 22 January 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#74 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

We're two games into the season so I think assessing players is a bit premature at this point. Yes, we have a declining body of work from Mason Raymond but i do think he deserves this year given last year was about recovery from the back injury. The contract he was given was the "short Leash" he has been given to prove he still belongs. Despite backing Raymond a bit in the past this is a year for him to put up or hit the road.

Jim Lahey, people won't attack you in your posts if you are somewhat reasonable. You have your opinion and won't consider what anyone else has to say. It's your way or the highway. The fact is that people that assess the team and make the hockey decisions (that are far more experienced than you) believe that he contributes. They have given him a strong message that he needs to show improvement this year.
Posted Image

#75 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

No. Do you have anything to bring to the thread other than attacking... me? Are you 10?

This is an irony sandwich.
Not to be confused with a Led Zeppelin sandwich . . .
No, but seriously . . . Burrowsdowereally . . .

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#76 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

For those who are calling Mason Raymond soft just like to say that he stood up for Ben Eager a few times during the game vs the Oilers. And Ben Eager is pretty tough IMO so if your messing around with him than you can Say Mason Raymond is pretty damn tough especially since he broke his back. They exchanged several hits, mixed it up with each other and he was getting active...sure its not putting up the points but at least he is trying to be useful

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY, 22 January 2013 - 11:03 AM.

2moy3iq.png

#77 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Double post

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY, 22 January 2013 - 11:03 AM.

2moy3iq.png

#78 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

This sounds like your typical CDC scapegoat hate thread with no compromise and just going to ignore any good qualities because hate is so much easier. Raymond has not looked any worse than any other players so far in the TWO games that we have played. He has not had any blatant giveaways which is something I can't say for most of the team. Man some of the giveaways in the slot by our players have been horrendous so far.

I am not a fan of Raymond but I do not blindly hate either and he has not even been remotely close to the problems of the team so far. He has been playing defensively sound and had been rushing up ice with the puck more so than anyone else on that second line. He is probably one of the better players at gaining the zone so far this year.

#79 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

SPEED SPEED SPEED.... once raymond has kesler and booth to play with he will be a 20+ goal scorer

#80 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

How long must we suffer watching Raymond "hustle" around the perimeter doing nothing? He brings nothing to the game outside of a token PK role.

What is the point of dressing this guy anymore? Waive him, trade him... anything. There are no positives to his game that make the team better for having him.

I have had enough of this guy.

How long must we suffer reading Jim Lahey "topics" around these boards saying nothing? He brings nothing to these forums outside of a token armchair critic role.

What is the point of letting this guy post anymore? Ban him, Slap him... anything. There are no positives to his threads that make CDC better for having him.

I have had enough of this guy.

There fixed it for you.
Posted Image

#81 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Raymond's ice time is pretty much wasted time right now.

He's a decent penalty killer and has great wheels but that sounds a lot like some other dudes that play that role far more effectively. Hansen, Lapierre and Higgins are much better checkers than Raymond. He isn't a physical player and he doesn't have the size to be one.

For Raymond to be an asset to the team he has to score. To score a player has to have a wicked shot or have great hands or have great hockey sense or be willing to stand in front of the net or be super determined or know how to get open or.or.or. Sadly, Raymond is not exhibiting any of the required characteristics.

Instead we have a sprint to offensive zone, a hard turn back up the boards, some back checking, a spin move in the shootout and the fall down move. No shots. No passes. Not in position for a feed. No hitting. No driving to the net.

I really thought he had huge potential but I don't see his value anymore. He doesn't fit and I can see no scenario where he is re-signed for next year. The Canucks need big, physical, fast players, not small, light, perimeter players.

Also another sniper. Or awesome intimidator. I'll take either...

Pretty much says it all .. I think MayRay will thrive in Calgary ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#82 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Amen!

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#83 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

To the Raymond haters: Which player on the Wolves do you have in mind to replace Mason? Oh, nobody? Right.

So who on the Nucks roster are you willing to trade for this big, aggressive, second line goal scorer (who can also play defense)? Oh, nobody? Right.

Why not be patient and wait for the injured 2nd line players to come back? Raymond will probably play a whole lot better when he has NHL team mates. Otherwise, he will be playing on the 3/4 line.

Don't worry. Be happy.

#84 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Good to see there are those who "hate" Raymond as well.

Us "haters" are stressed out angry people who are too quick to jump on poor, misunderstood Raymond when its only been a few games into THIS season and have obviously not seen him play the other 400 or so past games where he was definately not utlerly useless. It should also be noted that he was better before he broke his back and giving him this season to prove himself as an impact player, like he used to be before the injury, is something the team really needs to consider because we all know Raymond brings a real sense of balance to the team with his style.

Flowers and rainbows to all! Happy, happy day!
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#85 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Good to see there are those who "hate" Raymond as well.

Us "haters" are stressed out angry people who are too quick to jump on poor, misunderstood Raymond when its only been a few games into THIS season and have obviously not seen him play the other 400 or so past games where he was definately not utlerly useless. It should also be noted that he was better before he broke his back and giving him this season to prove himself as an impact player, like he used to be before the injury, is something the team really needs to consider because we all know Raymond brings a real sense of balance to the team with his style.

Flowers and rainbows to all! Happy, happy day!

So, who replaces him from the Wolves? What player gets traded for an upgrade? It's just not that simple.

#86 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

So, who replaces him from the Wolves? What player gets traded for an upgrade? It's just not that simple.

is this my job?
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#87 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

You whine too much.

#88 afan

afan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I cannot believe AV and MG have such a short memory. Raymond was dumped into the 4th line at the end of the King's series because of his no show. He then had his salary cut in the simmer when he should be traded. Raymond did nothing in between to deserve a spot on the 2nd line. If AV and MG still want to keep this guy, he should play on the 4th line where his speed and skill set would make him a decent 4th line guy, and he can help in the PK with his speed. On the 2nd line, time and time again Raymond is proven absolutely useless. Hansen or Higgins should replace this soft, perimeter player Raymond on the 2nd line.

#89 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Raymond looked so promising coming out of College. But I don't think there will be a spot on our team for him next season.

LW
Sedin
Jensen
Higgins
Archibald/Volpatti/Sweatt/Rodin

RW
Kassian
Schroeder
Burrows
Hansen/Weise

Subbancopy.jpg

#90 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

May Ray has been junk for along time now. When he did score 25 back in 09-10. He scored 20 in the first 50 games and scored 5 in his last 30 or so. He's been playing perimeter hockey for almost 3 years now. Every game played there is a bet on how many times Mason hits the deck on his arse. You would think after getting a pay cut, he would respond shift after shift to prove his worth. Maybe I am being to hard on him? Maybe not hard enough? When is it ok to stop feeling sorry for the guy? In my books, he's got 8 games left to show me he has what it takes.

C'mon Mason prove me wrong.

Edited by SergioMomesso, 22 January 2013 - 03:35 PM.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.