The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Eager out with concussion from Kassian Fight (confirmed)

Jinx_RK17

The purpose of hockey is not fighting - it's to out score the other team.

The purpose of hockey is not skating - it's to out score the other team.

If your statement makes any sense, then so does this one: "Skating can be removed without taking away from the purpose of hockey."

The object/purpose of hockey is not fighting, but the means to the end, of outscoring the other team, includes fighting.

fighting is a part of hockey whether you like it or not pretty simple its not like players are being forced to fight they choose to fight they don't have to and the league allows it so until the league removes fighting by suspending the players then fighting will remain a part of the game

it can turn momentum it can send a message to a team you will not be pushed around and sends a message after a cheap hit by a dirty player

Kassian's left hook really caught Eager by surprise. Eager should be thankful this injury did not come from a cheap shot move that he dishes out to others. If his injury were an actual consequence of the karma he's brought upon himself, it'd be worse than a concussion.

I hope Sedin-Sedin-Kassian is able to produce a lot of points, because the grit and physical presence of Kassian should help protect our star players from B.S. moves against them. Suck it Hodgson

I'm never going to celebrate a guy getting a concussion. But I've seen Eager deliberately look to injure star players. We all saw the cheap shot on Sedin. So yeah, "live by the sword, die by the sword," Kharma, whatever, he's courted this for a long time. And let's be honest, this is a guy who ganged up on someone in a bar, used a chair on him and sent him to the hospital last summer, so he isn't exactly Gandhi. But I don't want Kassian getting caught up with these neanderthals. He's taking himself off the ice for five minutes. He's got way too much potential and talent. Crash the net, dominate the boards, make room for teammates, yes, but don't waste yourself on such a douche. I look forward to the day when teams don't have room for guys like Eager, they use his spot for a hockey player.

Is there a quote where the NHL says that it is supposed to do absolutely anything that it can, no matter how it might change the game, to protect players from getting a concussion? Certainly they aren't intending to remove fighting... neither the NHL or the PA. That means you made it up.

Here's some "actual" information to consider... not that it's true... but what you said certainly isn't and has no legitimate reference.

http://sports.nation...he-concussions/

"Gary Bettman, the N.H.L. commissioner, said the league and the players were not inclined to enact measures that would limit fighting." - NYTIMES

That's my point.

It's a contradiction.

25 games for checking someone and you leave your feet a tad, but this is hockey - where checking/hitting is allowed.

Okay - only if it's a "clean hit" is it allowed.

But wait a moment...the key phrase every talks about is "head shots".

So...for fighting, if both players agree to fight - it's okay to throw a punch at someone's head.

What if the other player didn't want to fight?

Say, like Marchand throwing a punch at Daniel Sedin?

Is that a "head shot"?

Surely Daniel didn't ask to be punched in the head.

As far as the NHL?

"I applaud the NHL for doing all it can to protect the players from injury, not only current injuries but future injuries. And, yes, sometimes the players need to be protected from themselves."

http://www.nhl.com/i...ost.htm?id=4786

Archived