The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Panthers can't afford Weiss, looking to trade him

Not sure where to put Jensen if we keep Booth and acquire Weiss, and that we'd drop Higgins (trade?). Obviously someone would have to go with all those available top 9 wingers and Raymond too.

The first line is obvious, unless Burrows rotates back in at times.

The second line I think becomes Booth/Weiss/Kesler. I don't see either Kesler or Weiss dropping to the third even though we need a center there.

The 'third line' of Higgins/Burrows/Hansen has been solid of late, but Burrows isn't really great on faceoffs. Hansen sticks as the 3rd line RW, but I could see Schroeder sliding in there and Burrows going to the LW in your scenario of Higgins dropped from the lineup.

Jensen still needs to fit in, but where does he go? The second line could still use a playmaker so sticking him with Kes and Booth (not making a deal for Weiss) would just mean three shooters again. His defence would be good enough with Burrows centering a third line with Hansen, but then what about Schroeder and how to deal with Burrows' faceoffs?

I don't know, a Weiss deal just confuses things.

I can see it if the intent is to have the 2nd line (as listed) the main checking line to be used against the top line on the other team, while the 3rd (again, as listed) be the secondary offence line. Hard to get away from seeing it in the 1-2-3 order and considering what those line's roles are traditionally.

But yes, I love the playmaking Weiss could offer as a secondary option but it complicates things elsewhere when we finally have more young options coming up that we've developed.

The point is Weiss wouldn't be part of the UFA pool, he'd already be Canuck property, so Gillis wouldn't have to deal with the open market competition. Weiss has a NMC, he's likely only going to wave to play for a team he WANTS to play for. So therefore, the Canucks could get a top-6 forward without the overinflated UFA price tag and be a step above everybody else.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Weiss - Kesler

Burrows

That's a stacked top-6 (with Burr being interchangeable anywhere in the line-up) and the cap hits could work fine without Ballard, Luongo or Raymond:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Kassian (.87)

Booth (4.25) - Weiss (4.8) - Kesler (5)

Burrows (4.5) - Lapierre (1) - Hansen (1.35)

Higgins (1.75) - Malhotra (1.65) - Weise (.650)

UFA (.700)

Edler (5) - Garrison (4.6)

Bieksa (4.6) - Hammer (4.5)

Connauton (.7) - Tanev (1.6)

Vandermeer (.9), UFA (.7)

Schneider - (4)

UFA - (2.5)

Blue = prediction on salary

Total Cap: 61.62, so give raises where you think my predictions are wrong.. or else the team is not only stacked but well beneath the cap.

Great post- prob one of the best I've read here.

I don't mind Higgins, but in our fourth line, I'd prefer someone bigger and more physical, Higgins is a nice filler but does not have anyone feature about him that is particularly useful- he fills in for injured top 6 guys, or grinds it out in unspectacular fashion on the third line.

Perfect fit- dereck dorsett, a guy like that , cheaper by 1-.750 mill

Cannauton- not sold on his ability to play actual defense.

Perfect fit- buyout Keith Ballard and then give him a multiple year deal at a lower cap hit. 3 years 2.0 mill

Maybe Jensen and Schroeder make the lineup?

4.8 mill for Weiss sounds great- 6.8 mill for perry or getzlaf sounds better and if we have a cheaper back up and fourth liner in place of Higgins, we will have more than enough cap space to offer someone 6.8- other teams may offer more tho

<p>

Garrison looks fine defensively but he is not being used as effectively in Van as he was last year in Florida. No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......He does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now at all. I didn't say those guys play like crap, I said they don't bring the same game to Vancouver when they end up here, which unfortunately in all 3 of those cases is true so far.

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

Of course we all hope that will change but my point wasn't about what we hope for......

Archived