Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Who will start Friday vs Chicago?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will start vs the Hawks Friday? (163 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Will Start Vs The Hawks Friday?

1. Luongo (82 votes [51.25%])

Percentage of vote: 51.25%

2. Schneider (78 votes [48.75%])

Percentage of vote: 48.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 TigerWilliamsJr

TigerWilliamsJr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I dont see the issue in putting all this "Who is Number 1" talk aside for now and ride the hot hand. We have 2 very capable goalies and there is no harm in that. Play this short season, make it to the playoffs (#2 in west would be ideal, less pressure) and see where THEY take us.

#32 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,696 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

No one from the Canucks has officially stated who the number goalie is for this season.
The only comment we have is from AV "I have 2 capable starting goalies".

Yes, if I had to say which one is number 1 and which one is number 2, I would have to say the Schneider is number 1.
Remember, there's no rule stating a number 1 must play 95% of your games (like the Flamez - and how many playoffs have they been to with that goalie management since the lockout?).

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#33 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,595 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Schneider.

307mg00.jpg

#34 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

No one even knows who is number 1 in Vancouver right now although in the 2 games Luongo has been better

The way Schneider is playing at this moment (no consistency) he sure isn't number 1 in my books (but I am a huge Luongo fan)

Schnieder is the number 1 and will start Friday no matter how well Luongo plays. That is why Luongo is playing tonight and not Cory. Just so Luongo doesnt have to face the Hawks. You cant base Schnieders performance based on stats (outside of the first game). Luongo let in the tying goal in the final minute against the Kings and then couldnt win it in the shootout.

Do you blame Luongo for the loss?

#35 #RyanKesler17

#RyanKesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Luongo

#36 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

If we win will luongo playing good then play your best goalie against the best team

#37 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,696 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Schnieder is the number 1 and will start Friday no matter how well Luongo plays. That is why Luongo is playing tonight and not Cory. Just so Luongo doesnt have to face the Hawks. You cant base Schnieders performance based on stats (outside of the first game). Luongo let in the tying goal in the final minute against the Kings and then couldnt win it in the shootout.

Do you blame Luongo for the loss?

He wasn't shooting the puck in the shootout.

So far this year:

Schneider is 2-2 with a 3.13 GAA and a .897 save percentage.
Luongo is 0-0-2 with 2.21 GAA and a .917 save percentage.

According to D-Money a .46 difference in GAA is HUGE, Luongo is currently ahead of Schneider by .93.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#38 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

The Hot goaltender should play so if Lu rocks tonight play him Friday!.

Edited by menace, 30 January 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#39 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

A lot of folks are having a hard time grasping the concept that this is Schneider's team now

lol no its a lot of people having a hard time grasping that it isn't Schneider's team just yet....If it was, Luongo would have only played 1 game in 6 so far, if that. After tonight, Lu will have started 3 and Schneider 4, that shows there is no sole number 1 yet.

Like cmpunk I don't think it's Schneider's team, and I'm not sure if it will happen someday. Like I've said in other topic, when we was talking about Luongo and Schneider, it was really easy for Schneider to perform well he never had the pressure when he was starting a game. Nobody in the Canucks organization said in front of the media Schneider will be the #1 for the 2012-13 season, but every fans, the media in Vancouver and every other people who appreciate that sport, know Schneider was starting the season beeing the #1 guy.

Starting a game here and there, just having to do you best and try to get the win is really easy, but on the long road, when you know if you team lose 3 games in a row, you was average for two of them and really bad for the other, you know you'll be in net for the next game, and no matter what happen you'll be in net most of the time because you are the #1 you have a lot more pressure. Most of the time, who get the blame for the lost, the man behind the mask. Knowing if he's bad a few games in a row, the crowd will be agaisnt him, like they was with his teamate Roberto Luongo.

I like all the skill this kid have showed to us in the past years, but beeing good a few games here and there and beeing the #1 it's another game.

I always wish the best for our team, but I'm not sure Schneider on the long run he can deal with all that pressure on his shoulder...

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#40 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

It will be Cory no matter what happens tonight. In a normal situation, our number one goalie would play both games. In a normal situation our number one goalie would play all games but back to backs unless thier play was really bad for 2 or more games straight. But this is not a normal situation. Luongo is looking real good and we want the other teams in the league to see it more that 8 times this season. One might say that you put the goalie in that you think gives you the best chance to win. Well we lost our last game with Loungo in net with a 2 goal lead. Not at all his fault. Which leads to my next point to prove that this is all to showcase Luo. Our chances to win has nothing to do with who is in net. Other than Cory's first game, both goalies have played equally well. Its the teams play in front of them that has let us down.

#41 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

So far this year:

According to D-Money a .46 difference in GAA is HUGE, Luongo is currently ahead of Schneider by .93.

Schnieder is not even remotely the same goalie as the one who played in the first game, and Luongo was hardly better in that game. To even suggest it is idiotic

And thats precisely my point. Schnieder wasnt the one who was game those 2 goals away, nor was he the one who hit 5 posts.

Again you are comparing the 2 based soley off of stats. Did you even watch the game vs SJ? Of course his stats are going to get butchered when you defencemen give away to goals to players standing in the slot.
Take away those 2 goals and his save % for that game is a .925...and a .956 over the last 3 games. He is still a .932 over the last 3 games.

There, now you have more stats.

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 30 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#42 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Chicago vs Vancouver isn't the same without Luongo..

Luongo.

Not always a good thing for us...

#43 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Lou should start, hope he has a good game so MG can work the phone and pull off a deal.

#44 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

So far this year:

Take out the one bad game and:

Schnieder is 2-1 with a 2.00 GAA and a .935 save percentage.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#45 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Not always a good thing for us...

That's why it's exciting and fun.

Posted Image

#46 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

I didn't know we could exclude bad games. Does that mean we can take out Schneider's good game and make his stats look even worse to counter the numbers you said?

#47 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,696 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Schnieder is not even remotely the same goalie as the one who played in the first game, and Luongo was hardly better in that game. To even suggest it is idiotic

And thats precisely my point. Schnieder wasnt the one who was game those 2 goals away, nor was he the one who hit 5 posts.

Again you are comparing the 2 based soley off of stats. Did you even watch the game vs SJ? Of course his stats are going to get butchered when you defencemen give away to goals to players standing in the slot.
Take away those 2 goals and his save % for that game is a .925...and a .956 over the last 3 games. He is still a .932 over the last 3 games.

Likewise - take away the Canucks being dead tired the last game and Luongo would have had a shutout.

See - I can play that game.

Posted Image

#48 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

How is this thread still open when way better ones get closed every 5 mins. Obviously Schneider is starting, he's not going to start Lu 3 games in a row, especially with Lu's history vs Chicago.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#49 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

lol dont think they allow mulligans in hockey. if they could take out games 3 and 7 in the boston series and Lus numbers probably would be in the .960 1.30 range

Edited by Canucklehead420, 30 January 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#50 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Well considering Luongo's meltdowns against Chicago I would say Schneider... Unless Luongo is lights out tonight with over 9000 saves

Edited by LeanBeaf, 30 January 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#51 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,663 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Isn't a goalie supposed to come up with that big save on the occasion a dmen makes a dumbass play (This is what the Luongo haters say)

It sure as hell hasn't happened yet with Schneider

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#52 Brendan Gaunce

Brendan Gaunce

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Lu if he is good tonight, not amazing, just good.

Posted Image

#53 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Just because the media has said since gm 4 of the playoffs last yr. that CS is the new starter for the nucks. Doesn't make him the starter. remember CS played well the last 2 yrs. because he played behind an all star and x2 president trophy team.

#54 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Guarantee it is going to be Schneider

#55 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

It will be Cory no matter what happens tonight. In a normal situation, our number one goalie would play both games. In a normal situation our number one goalie would play all games but back to backs unless thier play was really bad for 2 or more games straight. But this is not a normal situation. Luongo is looking real good and we want the other teams in the league to see it more that 8 times this season. One might say that you put the goalie in that you think gives you the best chance to win. Well we lost our last game with Loungo in net with a 2 goal lead. Not at all his fault. Which leads to my next point to prove that this is all to showcase Luo. Our chances to win has nothing to do with who is in net. Other than Cory's first game, both goalies have played equally well. Its the teams play in front of them that has let us down.

Luongo has been in the league for 10 years. Has had many highs and some lows. GM's know what they are getting with Luongo and know literally everything about him and what he is all about. He plays in one of the biggest markets for the past 7 years. No such thing as showcasing a vet goalie that everyone knows about. A younger, inexperienced goalie that teams don't know about, you showcase.

I am very sure GM's know all about Luongo and him winning tonight and having a good night isn't going to eager them more to trade for him, because they already know him. GM's aren't giving up young players and prospects for an older guy with this contract. MG and fans expecting way to much from a Luongo trade.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#56 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

And people thinking its because of the opponents, don't make sense. On the team1040 they were saying the same thing, Schneider has awsome stats vs the Avs. His stats vs. the Hawks are WORSE than Luongo's.

Schneider is 3-2 career vs the hawks, with a GAA above 4.00....
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#57 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

I seriously want to shoot myself reading these threads..absolutely retarted can't wait for all this crap to end.

#58 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well it makes sense that Lu is starting Colorado so Schneids is rested for Chicago, so I'd say Schneiderman.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#59 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I didn't know we could exclude bad games. Does that mean we can take out Schneider's good game and make his stats look even worse to counter the numbers you said?

When its the first game and he has played extremely well since, yes you can exclude games. Take out Luongos 1st (where he was an ,833 in relief). Luongos stats over the last 3 games .934, Schnieders .932.

Schnieder has faced more shots on average, faced more time short handed against the Sharks than Luongo has had to face in all of his starts so far.

If you dont think Schnieder got hung out to dry by how horrible the defence played in front of him you are blind.

#60 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Isn't a goalie supposed to come up with that big save on the occasion a dmen makes a dumbass play (This is what the Luongo haters say)

It sure as hell hasn't happened yet with Schneider

Hasnt happened? Im sorry I didnt realize a 30 save shut out against the team (in their house) that lit you up in the opening game wasnt coming up big. Or winning the previous game against Calary stopping 34 of 36 and winning it in the shootout (something Luongo can rarely do)

But thanks for proving my point. Luongo lets in a goal with under a minute left against LA and then another one in the shootout. So much for coming up with the big saves. The defence played like night and day in front of Luongo in LA vs Schnieder in SJ, Schnieder also made a ton of great saves to still keep them in it. If the offence had actually managed to hit anything other than a post that game might have ended differently

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 30 January 2013 - 09:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.