111 replies to this topic

#1 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Luongo's without his usual slow start to start the season as Schneider's 'backup'.

Last season Schneider arguably played better than Luongo as backup and this year the roles have reversed. Luongo has been playing exceptionally well lately. On top of his stats, he's been noticeably better 1v1.

I'll be sad if Luongo's traded, but this is probably the best case scenario for a proper sendoff to one of the Canucks' greatest netminders, and an opportunity for the team to maximize his value.

It's great Luongo and Schneider have such a steady relationship because Schneider could easily be upset that he isn't given a chance to improve his game.

Props to Luongo for playing excellent hockey, and Schneider for being an excellent teammate.

If Luongo's traded, maybe the Canucks should make Lack the starter for the team then have Schneider start every game as the 'backup'.
Posted Image

#2 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

POPULAR

Why are there still people who believe Luongo is the backup this season

They have both had there chances this season and Luongo is coming out ahead

I will shutup if you can show me where anyone has said Schneider is the Number 1

Edited by *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*, 04 February 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#3 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

I honestly don't see how they can possibly trade Luongo now, he's playing too well. Keep playing Lu until he has a bad game and loses, then put Schneider in.

if Schneider goes on a roll like Lu is now then fine pull trigger, if not then Lu isn't going anywhere.

#4 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I don't see us moving Lu now that he's 2nd in GAA and sv% in the league.. It would be the most wise to at least keep him for this full season.

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

We should have a thread dedicated to dredging up all the Luongo hate from the summer. Name and shame some posters.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#6 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

POPULAR

We should have a thread dedicated to dredging up all the Luongo hate from the summer. Name and shame some posters.

Talk to me in the playoffs...

#7 vancouvercanucks#1

vancouvercanucks#1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I believe to be considered a backup they must play a minority of games, no?

i am so sick of don cherry. get him the hell off ...hes way past his expiry date. I'm trying to watch hockey I don't want some senile blowhard talking about respecting baby jesus's birthday and not taking the lord's name in vain.

#8 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

that would be like 100 pages long haha, all those posters are probably hiding right now anyways. they'll come out of their holes when he has a bad game

#9 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Who said that Schneider was our number 1 goalie? Fans/Media assumptions don't really count....AV came out and said that we have 2 number 1 goalies...he never stated a specific goalie

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#10 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Best backup in the league. I wonder if TO wishes they had a backup like our.
Posted Image

#11 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

No, Schneider didn't play five games in a row, when he was a backup. Luongo's one of the best in the league. I think you should refrain from your posts.
Posted Image

#12 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

that would be like 100 pages long haha, all those posters are probably hiding right now anyways. they'll come out of their holes when he has a bad game

I'm not hiding, like I said before he always has great points in the reg season... You think that's why people want him out? No!!! You know the reason.

#13 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I'm not hiding, like I said before he always has great points in the reg season... You think that's why people want him out? No!!! You know the reason.

yeah 2011 playoffs didn't happen or w.e You know whenever he does good it's just omitted...you know winning gold in OT in the city his NHL team is in, there wasn't any pressure on him...he was the best player in the 2 games he lost to L.A in the playoffs last season. But nope none of it ever happened..Luongo is just plain horrible!

#14 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

yeah 2011 playoffs didn't happen or w.e You know whenever he does good it's just omitted...you know winning gold in OT in the city his NHL team is in, there wasn't any pressure on him...he was the best player in the 2 games he lost to L.A in the playoffs last season. But nope none of it ever happened..Luongo is just plain horrible!

He's great when he's great, horrible when he horrible.

Edit: team Canada was stacked he had little to do with the gold but let he flung it around like he was the MVP... LOL

Edited by Nino, 04 February 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Talk to me in the playoffs...

Yeah like the playoffs that Lu gets us to every year?

Is that what you mean?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#16 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Luongo's without his usual slow start to start the season as Schneider's 'backup'.

Last season Schneider arguably played better than Luongo as backup and this year the roles have reversed. Luongo has been playing exceptionally well lately. On top of his stats, he's been noticeably better 1v1.
I'll be sad if Luongo's traded, but this is probably the best case scenario for a proper sendoff to one of the Canucks' greatest netminders, and an opportunity for the team to maximize his value

It's great Luongo and Schneider have such a steady relationship because Schneider could easily be upset that he isn't given a chance to improve his game.

Props to Luongo for playing excellent hockey, and Schneider for being an excellent teammate.

If Luongo's traded, maybe the Canucks should make Lack the starter for the team then have Schneider start every game as the 'backup'.

One of the best? He has every record that there is to be had. He IS the best goaltender that has ever played for the canucks. That is fact not opinion. Strictly numbers. He is the most decorated , most seccessful canucks goaltender of all time to this point in history. That said, it's Cory s time IMO.
Posted Image

#17 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Why are there still people who believe Luongo is the backup this season

They have both had there chances this season and Luongo is coming out ahead

I will shutup if you can show me where anyone has said Schneider is the Number 1

Schneider is number 1

#18 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

One of the best? He has every record that there is to be had. He IS the best goaltender that has ever played for the canucks. That is fact not opinion. Strictly numbers. He is the most decorated , most seccessful canucks goaltender of all time to this point in history. That said, it's Cory s time IMO.

Okay, so let me get this straight:

- Luongo is by far the best goalie this team has ever had (I agree)
- Luongo is the #2 goalie in the league right now, by the numbers (fact)

And the solution is to trade him? IF I had only known! HO - LEE Crap

No. You know what needs to happen, we retire his number here in Vancouver after another 3-5 seasons and in the meantime have some staffers at Rogers wheel out a solid oak desk to the blue line every opening skate out. Have a nice briefcase laid out on the desk. Lu can skate over to it, while everyone else is doing laps, pull out a pair of brass balls and recite the Alec Baldwin monologue from Glengary Glen Ross every single home game until he retires.

Edited by GrooveC, 04 February 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#19 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Schneider is number 1

Well there it is

I will shutup now

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#20 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

- Luongo is the #2 goalie in the league right now (fact)

No. You know what needs to happen, we retire his number here in Vancouver after another 3-5 seasons and in the meantime have some staffers at Rogers wheel out a solid oak desk to the blue line every opening skate out. Have a nice briefcase laid out on the desk. Lu can skate over to it, while everyone else is doing laps, pull out a pair of brass balls and recite the Alec Baldwin monologue from Glengary Glen Ross every single home game until he retires.

so who takes over when Luongo retires in 3-5 years cause right now Schneider is the closest to being a starter after that we have Lack and Cannata who have yet to play in the nhl it took Schneider 3 years in the Ahl and 2 years in the Nhl as backup to become a starter so we would pretty much be throwing Lack or Cannata into a starting job which they may not be ready for the Canucks need to keep Schneider for the future because with him we have a starting goalie for 10 years minimum

#21 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Jeez, there is a hysterical, historical edit. Luongo sucked in the playoffs against LA last year - he had the worst stats of any goalie in the playoffs who played more than one game - Schneider, had the best GAA and save %. Luongo was also middle of the pack during the regular season last year, while Schneider was second or third. But that was last year. This year, after training with Allaire, he is a different goalie and looks great - all of the horrible stuff from last year - slow side to side, beat over the glove, beat through the five hole, bad positioning on the post, has pretty much disappeared this year - along with his traditional slow start. You can't change history just because he is playing well now - just be happy he is playing well now.

#22 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

- Luongo is the #2 goalie in the league right now, by the numbers (fact)

LOL well said... some people here use the logic 1 + 2 = Peanut Butter
Posted Image

#23 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

so who takes over when Luongo retires in 3-5 years cause right now Schneider is the closest to being a starter after that we have Lack and Cannata who have yet to play in the nhl it took Schneider 3 years in the Ahl and 2 years in the Nhl as backup to become a starter so we would pretty much be throwing Lack or Cannata into a starting job which they may not be ready for the Canucks need to keep Schneider for the future because with him we have a starting goalie for 10 years minimum

For the Future? For the Future? lets trade up the Sedins for a slightly used Volvo and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins while we're busy shoring up the team for the next 10 years. AlecBaldwin'sMonologue the next 10 years! The Edmonton Oilers are poised for a real break out in the next 10 years, lets hope Mr.MG works out some kind of 1 for 1 team swap.

Lack will be no good in five? We can't wheel and deal in five? Why not? Because we've forgone any kind of real prospect/draft grooming to go for the Big Game. I think The Canucks can keep both goalies this season and maybe (big maybe) next. If not trade Schneider for some key players (backup prospect maybe?) and lets rock and roll.

Edited to add:

You may have thought my whole bit about the oak desk and brass balls was some kind of alcohol induced metaphor BUT I assure you this is what I'd want to see happen in reality, out of difference to our gold plated goaltender.

Edited to add, again:
I'll take Luongo's track record over the flashes of starter material we've seen in Cory over two seasons. I say two seasons because I haven't been impressed so far this season. Keeping Cory is a huge gamble, this season, next season and ten years from now.

Edited to add, yeah I know:
And as a lifelong Canucks fan I'd prefer the "Show a Little Class" factor and legacy we'd develop by keeping Luongo till retirement. I realise the powerful 'business' element involved in the game but seriously AlecBaldwin'sMonologue the business element that traded Linden and AlecBaldwin'sMonologue the business element that would be part of the Luongo trade.

Edited by GrooveC, 05 February 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#24 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

We are tlking about regular season . Playoff Is diffrent than regular season . No one play the same in playoff .as regular season's game . U must think about it before post here !
Forever Canuck !

#25 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

They're both capable goalies, best tandem in the NHL in my opinion... My bet is that Schneids starts next game though, give Lu a much earned rest. (Not because he usually gets lit up in Minnesota) lol I just don't want Schneider to get rusty or all of a sudden lose a bit of confidence, he needs to be playing at least once or twice every couple games.

There's still plenty of season left for each of them to get a lot of games in.. Unless Lu gets traded to Washington. :bigblush:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#26 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,853 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Well, there are 5 versions of Luongo threads. Is that not enough?

Jeez, there is a hysterical, historical edit. Luongo sucked in the playoffs against LA last year - he had the worst stats of any goalie in the playoffs who played more than one game - Schneider, had the best GAA and save %. ...

When you start a post like that, you aren't doing yourself any favours. Were his stats bad in that series? Yes. Was he one of the reasons we lost? No, in fact he was talked about as our best player in those first games (by actual hockey people rather than CDC fans).

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#27 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Let's get real Luongo is not the backup. He has started 5 games already and Schneider has started 4.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#28 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

POPULAR

Edit: team Canada was stacked he had little to do with the gold but let he flung it around like he was the MVP... LOL

Nino again, you just cannot accept the fact that Lu is a great goalie. Answer this, team Canada was stacked, but so was every other freaking team. The same stacked Canada team lost to the U.S.A in round robin with Brodeur. With Brodeur they barely beat the Swiss, they had to go to shootout with the same stacked team. With this stacked team they would have cruised to Gold with James Reimer in net.

But Hall of famer Martin Brodeur played 2 games with the stacked team Canada, and lost the position to ROBERTO LUONGO. Accept it.

Explain. If you can't have a logical explanation as to why Brodeur lost the job to Luongo with a stacked team Canada you will have proved my point: Nino you do not even have common sense hockey knowledge as proved by many of your posts, and this one is no different.

Edited by cmpunk, 05 February 2013 - 12:40 AM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#29 monza

monza

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Yeah like the playoffs that Lu gets us to every year?

Is that what you mean?

Ya gets us too the playoffs and then chokes when it matters. Seen it way to many times to think something else is going to happen. Trade him while he's hot and we can actually get something for him.

#30 Honey_Boo_boo_badger

Honey_Boo_boo_badger

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

:picard: Troll

If it was Brodeur who was in net and won gold, you wouldn't say the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.