oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ottawa - Booth and Weise
Vancouver - Neil and Jim O'Brien

Ottawa gets a top 6 when they have lost so much scoring punch, and a depth RW to compensate for the loss of Niel.

Vancouver sheds a bit of cap, gets coveted depth punch in Neil, and a strong young two way center for depth after the loss of Manny.

#2 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'd rather go after silfverberg but Neil would be an awesome addition too
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#3 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Rather just get Torres back and keep Booth if we need a Neil type guy. Weise, 7th for Torres.

#4 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I doubt ottawa is trading Neil.
Posted Image

#5 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

If it's between Booth and Higgins, I'd rather keep Higgins for his two way play and his reasonable cap hit.

Ottawa, without Spezza and Michalek, and losing Alfredsson in the offseason, might be interested in a top six like Booth, and to pry Neil out of there, I don't think the price would be cheap.

Neil as far as I'm concerned has more of an intimidating pushback presence than Torres and would be the kind of presence the Canucks could really use, and if we're not moving Luongo this year, I'd like a young NHL ready center like O'Brien who is a strong defensive and physical presence for depth for the 3rd and 4th lines.

#6 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Although I highly doubt Neil would ever be moved, this wouldn't be that bad

RIP LB RR PD

#7 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

No. Booth is far better than the two players in Ottawa.
Posted Image

#8 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Yeah I agree with allkill326.

Booth is the best of all the guys, not really interested in trading him as he adds an element of strength, speed and power we lack.

And I Doubt Ottawa trades Neil aswell. Seems like a guy who would take an overpayment to snatch since he is so beloved in Ottawa by both fans, the coaching staff and the management.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.

zackass.png

#9 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I think we overpay and Ottawa loves Neil anyway.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#10 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Do you think MG will build a boxing matchup, instead of a hockey matchup?
Posted Image

#11 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Would love to get Neil but he's a fan favourite there I doubt he is moved. I would be more interested in Zack Smith he's a beast 3C

I would do Ballard Higg for

Neil + Smith

Then deal a goalie and bring back a right shooting D and a prospect. There is also cap space for a 4-5 mill rental.

Lineup

Sedins Burr
Booth Kes Schredder
Raymond Smith Kass
Hansen Maxlap Neil

Our bottom 6 Could easily both Play 10mins a game. There are 4 wingers in the bottom 6 that could easily be shuffled up without looking out of place. We have 1 offenceive line to take left side facoffs and another to take the right side in the O zone and same for the D zone. Essentially we have a 1st line 2nd line and 2 3rd lines with Weise Patti and possibly Pinner ready to be called up if any of our bottom 6 need to be moved up the lineup. This team doesn't get out muscled.

Edited by honey badger36, 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#12 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Do you think MG will build a boxing matchup, instead of a hockey matchup?

Neil scored 13 goals last year, and had 28 points as a depth forward, while throwing 271 hits - you're pigeonholing this player - yes he also plays the role of a deterrent to opponents taking liberties - but he also mixes in enough skill and a hell of a lot of physical presence to make him a rare kind of player.
He's also less than half the cap hit of Booth - who imo is a good top 6 forward, but he's at the position the Canucks enjoy the most depth, and as I said, if it comes down to Booth or Higgins, I prefer Higgins myself.
I'm haven't been entirely impressed with the chemistry that Booth and Kesler have - it's not terribly urgent to end that experiment - perhaps with more time they'll turn out to be great linemates - but as it stands i really like the third line of Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen, and no matter how you slice it, there is a top 6/9 LW who will be pushed to the fouth line or out of the lineup.
I'm not convinced yet that Booth is the type of player that fits well with Kesler, and imo he's not the cap value nor two way player that Higgins or Raymond are. If Booth doesn't fit with Kesler, his 4.25 cap hit, imo, is a consideration that makes a move like this reasonable from the Canucks side of things.

I see a few comments that make the point that it's both an overpayment for Vancouver and that Ottawa probably wouldn't do it - which spells obvious contradiction, and pretty much tells me this is pretty fair value in a deal that could make sense to both sides.
Ottawa may love Neil, but they're also decimated up front, and they add Weise in this deal, who is not Neil, but could fill part of the loss.
Given the fact the Canucks currently have less depth at RW and at center than LW, and that imo Neil is precisely the type of player the Canucks could really use, I'm willing to trade a bit of Booth's upside for the depth, strength, and cap saving. O'Brien apparently hasn't really been looked at here, but imo a good young depth center option, something the Canucks could use if a return for Luongo is not in the near future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.