The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks trying yoga

forklift_ole

My point is, you can't say we're a horribly run organization just because you see signings like the Tim Thomas signing to reach cap floor and the Dipietro contract. Was the Dipietro contract a mistake? Yes. But he was projected to be an amazing goalie when we drafted him.

Would love to see the macho folks mocking yoga here attempt to get through one single hour of disciplined practice - or some of the tough talkers try to keep up with the 94 year old BKS Iyengar - that would be a hell of an entertaining thing to witness.

http://www.bksiyengar.com/

Imo, if athletes want the benefits of yoga they should steer clear of Bikram (fashion/hot yoga), Hatha and Moksha - and opt for the most disciplined tradition - Iyengar yoga. Not fashion and gimmicks involved (lululemon outfits and a hot, smelly room are not the point) - and their teachers can't obtain yoga instructor certification in a weekend getaway.

Iyengar is a seriously disciplined tradition which requires it's teachers attain significant knowledge of the body, focuses on alignment in the body (very beneficial to athletes and people with injuries), therapeutics, strength, mental clarity, balance is an obvious benefit, and has a wealth of practices designed for people with particular health conditions. It doesn't matter how great an athlete is conditioned - yoga can challenge and benefit anyone.

People who mock it obviously haven't tried it.

Would love to see the macho folks mocking yoga here attempt to get through one single hour of disciplined practice - or some of the tough talkers try to keep up with the 94 year old BKS Iyengar - that would be a hell of an entertaining thing to witness.

http://www.bksiyengar.com/

Imo, if athletes want the benefits of yoga they should steer clear of Bikram (fashion/hot yoga), Hatha and Moksha - and opt for the most disciplined tradition - Iyengar yoga. Not fashion and gimmicks involved (lululemon outfits and a hot, smelly room are not the point) - and their teachers can't obtain yoga instructor certification in a weekend getaway.

Iyengar is a seriously disciplined tradition which requires it's teachers attain significant knowledge of the body, focuses on alignment in the body (very beneficial to athletes and people with injuries), therapeutics, strength, mental clarity, balance is an obvious benefit, and has a wealth of practices designed for people with particular health conditions. It doesn't matter how great an athlete is conditioned - yoga can challenge and benefit anyone.

People who mock it obviously haven't tried it.

Well said, oldnews!

I was having a conversation with a yoga instructor who works with our grade 9 kids and she was saying that hot yoga, used at the right times during year-round training can be very beneficial, especially for flexibility. If you have sufficient time to re-hydrate before a major activity / match, hot would be OK, no? If you don't have time to re-hydrate properly, avoid it?

I'm not an expert, but I do have some issues with Hot yoga.

First, because the practitioner is in an artificially hot environment, there is a tendency to push the muscles, ligaments and tendons beyond their healthy range of motion - ie there is actually a higher risk of injuring oneself in those conditions.

The carbon footprint it takes to maintain these environments is an issue to some - and the artificial hot air has a questionable effect on the lungs and heart - and can be dangerous for many practitioners. Their is also the cumulative effect of all those people detoxing in a hot, confined space - a few Bikram's facilities I have crossed smell far worse than a hockey locker room lol.

Bikrams classes are scripted progressions from teacher's who aren't necessarily adequately trained imo (it really just takes a load of cash and couple weeks to become a Bikram's 'instructor'). The practice lacks balance, as far as I'm concerned, between the postures that generate heat in the body, and the inversions, which cool the body. The practice is an overstimulation in a literal sense.

It can be a good 'workout', but as far as the actual benefits of a disciplined yoga practice, I think it falls far short.

I have engaged in yoga for the last little while. Tougher then running and weightlifting in my book but ever since I have been walking straighter and feeling much more coordinated like I used to as a younger man.

That said, I'd like to see the Nucks get the opposite of Zen for the playoffs.

Archived