The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Perfect 3rd or 2nd line centre for the Canucks?

NHLYoungGuns

I like the same old speculated guys: Matthias and Bozak. Ott and Goc would fit nicely as well.

I really like Stastny, he would bring a lot of quality to our 3rd line, and he could also play with Kesler on the 2nd. The thing is his cap hit of 6.600M, we're already in a lot of trouble to meet next year's cap, he wouldn't help at that matter as he has one more year in his contract.

Even if we do nothing we have Shredder at 3C. If he can learn from Manny over the next month/five weeks, and continues to play with Hansen and Raymond, I don't mind a playoff bottom 9 of:

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Shredder - Hansen

Pinner - Lappy - Weise

This IMO, Couturiere aside being a bit of a pipe dream (which was acknowledged), is the most compelling list in this thread.

I'm amused though, as the entire thread seems stuck on young playesr ranging from unproven to up and coming. What happened to the classic rental? Or that young guys, Kassian for example, may have great long term value but rarely get you over the hump...

Does anyone believe the right moves, which would include veterans, can make us contenders again? Or are we all re-building on the fly...

Just focusing on rumoured potential trade partners....

Sean Couturier is the obvious answer - young ELC who can handle d zone starts at a very young age and has outstanding two way upside. Worth paying for imo.

Most realistically - I'd like Goc - a very solid two way 3C at a reasonable cap hit. Drew Shore would also be a nice acquisition if dealing with Florida.

NYI - I like Cizikas as a young depth C - and Brock Nelson would be a real nice near NHL-ready prospect to land.

Some folks have mentioned Zach Smith - would pay the price to land him packaged with Neil. I'd like to see us add both a 3C and a 4C - Brian Boyle would be worth paying for imo - Steckel could probably be had for a reasonable price and would be a good replacement for Manny's role...

Even Nonis, in an obvious shift from BB, appears to be flushing the bad deals from his list and cutting his losses. See Komisarek, Liles sitting, Grabovsky (a good player otherwise) playing behind young talent, Lombardi, Tim Connoly. I can see the Leaf's making some gains with his more conservative money outlook.

Maybe, amongst all that intelligence, Lou could be had for Biggs and Grabovsky? A lateral move money wise, but a hockey deal that helps both teams...

Matthias would be nice, but the Panthers are shopping all their overpaid guys. Tallon isn't an idiot.

Forgetting centres for a moment; young Orlov, RHD, has played well since being called up.

As they're injuries sort themselves out; a RHD should be avail from Washington. The fact they have centre, RW and RHD depth, plus expiring contracts, overpaid guys, a chance at play off's and expectations through the roof all make Washington the most likely "hockey deal" location. Islanders maybe there is a move somewhere, Toronto possible but less likely.

I don't see us doing classic "rental" player trades as we just don't have the organizational depth. Except for depth players like when we got Higgins and Lappy, who were out of favour.

if gillis knew what he was doing he would have accepted the offer from toronto last june from toronto for kadri bozac and a pick for luongo we would have a 2nd and third line center and no more worries about the ridiculous contract he gave him.

LOL I was reading HoickeyyInsiderr for a laugh and I got one. He says his latest rumour is that the Canucks have enquired about Iginla.

WELL OF COURSE WE ENQUIRED ABOUT IGINLA NUB! EVERY TEAM IN THE NHL DID DOYH.

I love that HockeyyInsiderr guy.

Anyways I dont see us taking on any more small or depth players. If we don't make any significant trades before the offseason I won.t be surprised. We lack a big name player like Roy or Iginla or Gaborik to play alongsdide Kesler. So thats who will be looking at, and I am sure if it could be done it will, but don't hold your breath.

Florida has our one-stop shot needs.

3rd line center: Goc

Right-handed defenseman: Weaver

Both should be fairly cheap to acquire. Low cap hits, signed for another year, and how can Gillis resist making more deals with Florida?

Healthy lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Goc - Lapierre

Weise/Pinizotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Weaver

Edler - Tanev

Ballard/Alberts/Barker

That's crazy depth.

I don't know if there's many options for 3rd line center unless they drop Kesler to the 3rd and bring in a 2nd C instead (which I think would be better suited for Kesler and open up line matching combos and offensive depth)....

Here's some d-day players the canucks will look into:

- Peter Mueller

- Jared Smithson

- Paul Statsny

- Antoine Vermette

- Chad Larose

- Simon Depres

- Joey MacDonald/Erik Karlsson/Brian Boucher (whoever is avaliable on waivers IF a goaltender is traded)

2C with kes on wing/Keep Schroeder in lineup:

- Nielsen

- Vermette

- Grabovski

3C replacing Schroeder:

- Bozak

- Brassard

- Dubinsky

- Mattais

-Goc

4C on line with Lappy or put Lappy on 3C:

-Chipchurra

-Fiddler

Ideally I would like to see 2 centers come here at the deadline.

Would love to roll with:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Nielsen-Kesler

Raymond-Mattais-Hansen

Booth-Lapierre-Kassian

Archived