Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Lack of swordsmen leads Saudi Arabia to consider dropping public beheadings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Article

I found this article a little strange... that the Saudi's are thinking about stopping public beheadings... but only because they have a shortage of swordsmen? I guess any reason to stop beheading people is a good thing, just an odd reason to do it... are there beheading schools one needs to attend?
Posted Image

#2 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

http://www.academieduello.com

Hastings and Richards

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#3 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

http://www.academieduello.com

Hastings and Richards

Not sure a School for LARPing is going to prepare one for beheading a human being.
Posted Image

#4 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Find it odd, how we still have beheadings in the world.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#5 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Basically look into the most bizarre and disgusting, inhumane, and torturous was humans have been killed and tortured throughout history and in some corner of the planet today there will be some form of it.

Not odd at all unfortunately, just the way it is.
Posted Image

#6 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Not sure a School for LARPing is going to prepare one for beheading a human being.

It's not.

That's your cultural bias.

It's a martial arts school like any else.

#7 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Really?

They're not going anywhere anytime soon.

If anything, they'll probably make a comeback sometime.

#8 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Basically look into the most bizarre and disgusting, inhumane, and torturous was humans have been killed and tortured throughout history and in some corner of the planet today there will be some form of it.

Not odd at all unfortunately, just the way it is.

Pretty sure nobody's been crucified, drawn and quartered, or burned at stake in a while. Stoning or hanging, on the other hand... I'd certainly prefer to be beheaded myself.

#9 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Pretty sure nobody's been crucified, drawn and quartered, or burned at stake in a while. Stoning or hanging, on the other hand... I'd certainly prefer to be beheaded myself.

I would be surprised if all of those things haven't been done in some fashion in the last week.

#10 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

2013 and beheading is still an option. I don't even..
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#11 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

And the Saudis are one of the "good guys" as far as the West is concerned?

#12 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_2638431.html

Not sure it fits your descriptions perfectly but pretty close to be burned at the stake and this happened just last

It's not.

Actually its not

Martial Arts: noun
any of the traditional forms of Oriental self-defense or combat that utilize physical skill and coordination without weapons, as karate, aikido, judo, or kung fu, often practiced as sport.

Nerds unite! Larping = Kung Fu Master :picard:
Posted Image

#13 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_2638431.html

Not sure it fits your descriptions perfectly but pretty close to be burned at the stake and this happened just last

Actually its not

Martial Arts: noun
any of the traditional forms of Oriental self-defense or combat that utilize physical skill and coordination without weapons, as karate, aikido, judo, or kung fu, often practiced as sport.

Nerds unite! Larping = Kung Fu Master :picard:

All of those also incorporate weapons of some kind.

If you can't break down the meaning of martial art into it's root meaning without thinking it needs to be Oriental I don't know what to say. Europeans have a pretty good history of warfare and it was all codified.

Enjoy your own ignorance on the subject.

#14 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

All of those also incorporate weapons of some kind.

If you can't break down the meaning of martial art into it's root meaning without thinking it needs to be Oriental I don't know what to say. Europeans have a pretty good history of warfare and it was all codified.

Enjoy your own ignorance on the subject.

Ok Sifu theminister :rolleyes: Go have fun dressing up at the Fantasy Faire go Larp some people with your styrofoam sword but make sure not to forget your cardboard shield we wouldn't want you to get a scratch on your eye.
Posted Image

#15 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Ok Sifu theminister :rolleyes: Go have fun dressing up at the Fantasy Faire go Larp some people with your styrofoam sword but make sure not to forget your cardboard shield we wouldn't want you to get a scratch on your eye.

Speaking as someone full of ignorance.

They use steel.

#16 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I love how in just 3 posts a thread about beheading got turned into a debate about LARPing and martial arts. Only on CDC!!

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#17 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Speaking as someone full of ignorance.

They use steel.

LOL :lol: there is so much funny irony in this post I don't even know where to begin... Thanks man you've made my day.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Not that I partake in it, but what's with your hatred towards something that allows people to enjoy themselves? Why does it concern you?
You're a nerd for picking on people for having their own type of fun.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#19 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,648 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I love how in just 3 posts a thread about beheading got turned into a debate about LARPing and martial arts. Only on CDC!!

It's really hard not to respond to a post from someone who speaks of something they know nothing about, obviously.

Ah well, I'm going to let it go. CDC always likes to turn a chance for discussion into a chance for misplaced ridicule. It's one of our things.

#21 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Not that I partake in it, but what's with your hatred towards something that allows people to enjoy themselves? Why does it concern you?
You're a nerd for picking on people for having their own type of fun.

Wth, nice personal attack, why don't you read the whole thread before attacking me? He said that school was a martial arts school and that I was ignorant for calling it a Larping school I couldn't careless if he likes to LARP in his pastime. So learn to read or see the full picture before you comment like a douche.
Posted Image

#22 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Wth, nice personal attack, why don't you read the whole thread before attacking me? He said that school was a martial arts school and that I was ignorant for calling it a Larping school I couldn't careless if he likes to LARP in his pastime. So learn to read or see the full picture before you comment like a douche.

Actually, it's you who was starting out by insulting me by calling me a LARPer. I am not. That's you acting a fool. Nor do I attend the school. I have taken a class there though and I have taken many Eastern martial arts classes over the years. It is what it is.

I assume you don't respect boxing, wrestling or archery as martial arts either, eh?

http://en.wikipedia....an_martial_arts

#23 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

You went on a 6 post tangent about how lame larping is.
You're delusional, and annoying.

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#24 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Actually, it's you who was starting out by insulting me by calling me a LARPer. I am not. That's you acting a fool. Nor do I attend the school. I have taken a class there though and I have taken many Eastern martial arts classes over the years. It is what it is.

I assume you don't respect boxing, wrestling or archery as martial arts either, eh?

http://en.wikipedia....an_martial_arts

It's not.

Actually it was you who insulted me first. You know nothing of my culture so don't post like you do.

Next I do respect boxing and wrestling and any other form of Martial art but that school is for larping pure and simple... if you prefer to call it stage fighting or whatever that is your perogative but don't call me ignorant because I call it like I see it.
Posted Image

#25 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Actually it was you who insulted me first. You know nothing of my culture so don't post like you do.

Next I do respect boxing and wrestling and any other form of Martial art but that school is for larping pure and simple... if you prefer to call it stage fighting or whatever that is your perogative but don't call me ignorant because I call it like I see it.

The cultural bias is usually directed by people of European origin who misunderstand their own culture, and less so others. Where you hail from originally is irrelevant if you don't know anything about the subject.

Calling something as you see it without factual evidence is ignorance. That's what you are displaying on the subject. That's great you respect boxing and wrestling but they aren't Oriental specifically so they aren't martial arts, right?

Stage fighting is one class they offer. One. Of many.

Edited by theminister, 12 March 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#26 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

You should make a guide on derailing your own thread on CDC.
Step one, be an inherent douche bag who plays victim after insulting everything he can get his hands on.
Step two, repetition! You need to pound it in people's heads that you're this douche bag.

#27 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

The cultural bias is usually directed by people of European origin who misunderstand their own culture, and less so others. Where you hail from originally is irrelevant if you don't know anything about the subject.

Calling something as you see it without factual evidence is ignorance. That's what you are displaying on the subject. That's great you respect boxing and wrestling but they aren't Oriental specifically so they aren't martial arts, right?

Stage fighting is one class they offer. One. Of many.

Interesting isnt that exactly what you did to me and my culture of which you know nothing about?
Posted Image

#28 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

You should make a guide on derailing your own thread on CDC.
Step one, be an inherent douche bag who plays victim after insulting everything he can get his hands on.
Step two, repetition! You need to pound it in people's heads that you're this douche bag.

The second I care about your opinion on anything I will let you know.
Posted Image

#29 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Interesting isnt that exactly what you did to me and my culture of which you know nothing about?

I wasn't commenting on YOUR culture. I was commenting on your bias against European martial arts.

#30 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

I wasn't commenting on YOUR culture. I was commenting on your bias against European martial arts.

It's not.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.