The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TONY GALLAGHERS ARTICLE

THERETOOL

Tell me riff raff, at your place of employment, if someone doesn't fulfill the objectives of their job or flat out does it poorly, should they be left alone? Or should they be told to shape up?

This attitude that players should put up with officials doing a horrible job of maintaining the integrity of the sport is pure complacency.

Just because it's a "man's" game doesn't mean that common sense gets thrown out the window and the worst officiating in professional sports gets a free pass.

So what about the sedins? They are hacked, trippled, slashed and grabbed onto practically every game.. they play hard and are constantly getting jostled along the end boards digging out pucks and are still able to fight for the puck and make plays in the tightest areas on the ice.. then they get taken down which should be a penalty and it gets called but they get called for diving at the same time. or they just get clutched and grabbed the whole game and nothing is called.. in the last game vs columbus there was a moment where a sedin had the puck and was skating behind the net towards the corner with the defenders stick right up and across his chest and body tucked in.. clearly a holding penalty without a shred of doubt and the ref was right there and didnt make the call.. its not just about the wrong calls made its about the idea that the refs are picking and choosing what to call and this is WRONG.

If you think the way they are calling games now is consistent in line with your "just play hard" sentiment then you clearly dont follow this league very closely if at all.. its a huge problem.. you think the media and fans are just conjuring this up becuase theyre bored?

Get a clue buddy.

The problem is that Burrows still dives and embellishes quite a bit.

Honestly, give it a rest. The guy is crosschecked, hacked and whacked every game in his battles in front of the net. His "dives" are actually losing balance at times as a result...you try positioning yourself there and you'll quickly become a welcome mat.

Bottom line yes Burrows dives, yes still does, yes he has improved, yes every other player in the league is guilty of diving and yes the burrows incident didnt look good for Augers record but what goes around comes around, Auger accused players of inappropriate behavior *(see two examples below of Auger issues), so why cant players call him on his behavior. None of that excuses refs from not making calls on any player in the league when obvious calls are obvious. It is a refs job to call a game by the rules and refs have there own professional standards by which they should do there job, if they cant, then they shouldnt and Auger regardless of what team he was reffing obviously couldnt do his job. Directly from Gallaghers article.

"In fact, Auger was removed for a series of gaffs, not the least of which was disallowing a goal in Detroit, saying the whistle had gone, when in fact Brad May had backhanded the puck right into the goal, the whistle clearly blowing two or three seconds after the fact. Yet despite all evidence to the contrary, he stuck with his original call. It was a blunder of stunning proportions, even for a league which refuses to admit it has an officiating problem."

*Auger has been caught up numerous times in on-ice controversy. In an NHL game on December 13, 2005, in Montreal, he assessed Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan a misconduct penalty after concluding he verbally abused an official and made culturally insensitive comments against the referees, who were French-Canadian. The NHL reviewed the allegations against Doan and concluded that they were baseless

example #2 -On March 12, 2011, New York Islanders, numerous Islanders players accused Auger of conspiracy, saying they felt the officials saw the Devils' playoff run as more important than their own playoff push.[9] There was a large discrepancy regarding power-play time. A New Jersey Devils player was insulting the Islanders coach and his assistants during the game and the player was not punished for his actions. Additionally, when Alternate Captain Frans Nielsen spoke to Auger about what was going on, he was given what was the first game misconduct penalty of his entire career. Islanders interim coach Jack Capuano stated that he requested but received no explanation from Auger on the Nielsen penalty, citing difficulty engaging the officiating crew throughout the entire game.[10] On March 13, 2011, the NHL Senior Vice President and Director of Officiating Terry Gregson confirmed to Newsday that the NHL is indeed looking into this matter

This whole Burrows vs. Refs is a chain of events that speaks badly of the current state of officiating in the NHL. Officiating in the NHL or any sports for that matter is highly subjective and with that being the case, you're going to get a bunch of biases based on some truths, some perceptions, some misconceptions and a whole lot of prejudices.

We can all agree that Burr is no angel...his scrapped his way into the NHL and has scrapped even harder to stay here...his rap sheet ain't pretty -- he's pulled hair, has been accused of biting, has done good impressions of Greg Louganis on numerous occasions, called out an official, chatters incessantly, etc., etc. Granted, Burr has matured somewhat and a lot of what is on his rap sheet goes back a few years.

Officiating SHOULD be objective and unbiased, but obviously it's not...it's evident that Burr can't catch a break with the cops but he's created this situation for himself. Part of what makes Burr effective is what hurts him as well. He has to go the dirty areas where the rules of engagement is less onerous...last time I checked, the dirty areas are called that because there is more stickwork and intentional contact. Burr deserves better than he's getting, but I would say that the officials allow him to get away with a fair bit as well though the inequities are evident (e.g., the overt pick Burr got away with on Daniel's goal in the first period vs. Detroit a couple of Sundays ago...even my wife who has been watching hockey for only four years couldn't believe Burr got away with that one).

It seems to me that the problem with officiating is at its all time worst right now, and I hang that one on the league. I would hate to be an official during this time when the NHL seems to be making rules and asking officials to interpret rules on the fly...under these circumstances, guys like Burr are going to get even less love than they would under "normal" circumstances.

There's not a whole lot that Burr or the team will be able to do about reshaping the way Burr, or even Kes are perceived...I hate to say it, but the best they can do is keep their muzzles tight and just play hard between the whistles and hope for the best.

Hey Stripes! How's it goin'!

:P

So your solution to the problem is to just sit still and keep quiet. Gotcha.

What Burrows did after Auger confronted him (and then subsequently went out and did just what he said he was going to do - "get him") is exactly what every single NHL player should be doing when something like that happens.

To hell with the "fines" which amount to peanuts for these guys anyway....

You produce change by exposing what's going on, not sitting idly by and letting it continue unhindered.

Look what happened to Auger. He was "retired by the NHL". It wasn't specifically because of the Burrows incident, but that was a big nail in his coffin.

Yeah call it whining if you want, but only the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Just look at Auger's response after he "gets" Burrows here. Look at that overt nod, and subsequent WINK... how # smug can you get.... the fact that a referee like that even MADE it to the NHL tells you there is a very serious problem.

It isn't fines that I would be worried about. More so just human nature and reality.

Being considered a rat by the referees isn't really a good thing. That's just reality brotha. I wish it wasn't so.

Burrows won't get a break from the officials for the rest of his life because they're a tight community and they consider him a rat.

That isn't the way it should be, but it is the way it is.

The squeaky wheel gets no breaks from the refs if he goes complaining to the media. You talk to these guys face to face if you have something to say.

Boston has had divers. Chara, Marchand, Thomas, Ference

Washington has the eilte diver in Riberio.

Vancouver does as well.

But diving is a league wide issue too. Not something indicative solely of the Canucks.

In my humble opinion, the NHL, if it had a clue, would institute an NFL style challenge on calls made by officials. This way there could be an independent third party panel doing a monthly review of all the calls made by officials.

If certain officials make calls that are contested, the call itself is reviewed and if the panel deems the call as improper or not in line with game rules, the official gets a strike against him. Three strikes and you're out for the season. This would keep the officials way more accountable and would kill favoritism. That is if the NHL gave a rat's patootey about the integrity of the game at all, because they seem be to putting that in the hands of the officials who clearly have their own interests at play.

I agree with you 100%. Even if Auger actually said "I'm going to give you a million penalties every time you set foot on the ice" (in French, of course) without a nice clear audio recording of those EXACT words Burrows has no case with the powers that be and going public with his problem only reinforced the image of the Canucks as a bunch of whining crybabies. I also agree that his stigma rubs off on his teammates; Hank would probably not have got his "embellishment" penalty if he played for a different team.  I'm amused at the number of posts that use the word "integrity" when referring to the refs; we are dealing with a player here who has ZERO integrity in this league. I still think he's our #1 money player but he has screwed himself mightily with his nonsense.

Of course he is a marked man. You don't go public and accuse a referee of "threatening to get me and then following through on his threat" and expect to get away with it. The guy is radioactive now and will be for the rest of his career, and some of it rubs off on the rest of the team undoubtedly. Guy is a freakin' idiot, and Gillis isn't much better for allowing him to go public after the game like that, then furthering the damage by "standing by my player", along with AV.

It was an embarrassing, stupid debacle and Burrows, Gillis, AV and the Canucks will live with the result for a long, long time.

Archived