The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats wrong with TANKING the season?

Anima

Well, Pittsburg got Crosby through a lottery draft, but they were a team with a lot of balls in the barrel.

Just as an aside, I thought MacKinnon was recently down-graded to perhaps 3rd on the list. This being said, if the Canucks had the 3rd overall and MacKinnon was still unselected, it would be pretty difficult to pass him up.

regards,

G.

With the exception of a few subtractions, this team is relatively similar to the one who got to the Cup Finals, only two seasons ago. People bring up the LA Kings not because they were a below-average team that had a Cinderella run to the Cup but because they were an elite team that got off to a rocky start and managed to right the ship. You can argue that that isn't a common occurence but you need not look any farther back than the 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins. They were playing terribly, up until the half-way mark of the season, fired their coach and went on to win the Cup.

The problem with this year's Canucks isn't that their skill has miraculously disappeared. The problem is between the ears. They look uninterested, lost, and unmotivated. In my opinion, Vigneault needs to go. But not because he's a bad coach. This team just needs a fresh start and a new lease on life. Where is the drive and accountability of two years ago? If AV can't motivate this group, bring in somebody who can.

Tanking is for corwards and, besides, we're too late into the season to go for SJ, NM, JD, or even SB and EL.

This is the worst thread ever, you want a team who is coming off back to back presidents trophies to tank. Ok lets think about this. The two best players in the history of our franchise are in their prime... we have the best defence we have had in years.... we are in the weakest division in the nhl this year, meaning an easy path to third in the west...and have the most ravenous fan base outside toronto/montreal.

Could you morons who are hitting the panic button just jump off the band wagon already, your giving the rest of us a bad name.

People dont seem to realize that their is no guaranteed success plan in the nhl, all you can do is make sure your team is competitive every year in the hopes that you get hot at the right time.

The team may not be playing the greatest hockey right now, but we have the team to beat anyone when healthy and playing well.

You have this illusion we cant beat good teams for some reason, we are 1-1 vs. Chicago this year...

I honestly think we are better off going into playoffs as underdogs this year, although we will probably win this crapty division again.

In conclusion, I award your thread zero points, and may god have mercy on your soul

I wouldn't have a problem to be honest...I can throw this year off as a strange one but the toughest pill to swallow tho is the fact the salary cap will be down and we'll be seeing a weaker team (on paper) next year..but you never know who will surprise.

Booth, Ballard and a goalie will be gone for sure. I would not be surprised to see Raymond let go and Lappierre as well. It will be a much different roster.

"This is the worst thread ever, you want a team who is coming off back to back presidents trophies to tank. Ok lets think about this. The two best players in the history of our franchise are in their prime... we have the best defence we have had in years.... we are in the weakest division in the nhl this year, meaning an easy path to third in the west...and have the most ravenous fan base outside toronto/montreal. "

a different way to look at this is.

The 2 best players ever for the Canucks ( arguably), maybe past their prime as the points are down and the holy crap factor seems missing from their play mostly.

the defense is good to great on paper, but the best dman is Tanev so perhaps they are not as good as thought?

The weak division will allow the team to make the playoffs where they will run into a strong team and perhaps lose.

And I'd say many a team has deliberately tanked, they just call it rebuilding or looking to the future. Now they don't tell the players to lose but if you ice a team of 2nd and 3rd year players with upside you lose a bunch of games and build experience in your prospects.

Next year could be the year for the rebuild.

Why is it such a bad idea?

Lets be real, this team will either barely miss the playoff or make the playoffs and get DESTROYED in the first round. No we are no LA Kings, quit dreaming..... Why be like the Calgary Flames and finished 9th or 10th and get lousy draft picks?

Last time we missed the playoffs, we got *ahem* Cody Hodgson.....lets not beat the dead horse on that one....

Last time we have a top 5 pick, we got Henrik/Daniel Sedin.

Excluding the last 2 drafts (too early to tell with Gaunce/Jensen), the previous picks we had in the late 20's, it was Jordan Schroeder and Patrick White...yup....

With the RIDICULOUS salary cap next year, we NEED a prospect that can play next year (i.e a top 5 draft pick). With the signing of Kellan Lain and the potential of Nicklas Jensen, a top 5 pick that can play next year will be ENORMOUS.

This is what MG is facing next year, PRETTY scary...

Unrestricted free agents:

-Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, Alberts, Barker, Pinizzotto

Restricted free agents:

-Tanev (will get a raise for sure), Weise, Sestito

Getting rid of Luongo's contract (trade) + Ballard's contract (buyout), we have $53 MILLION committed to everyone else. Thats $11 Million to sign Tanev, Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, etc. NOT HAPPENING.

Tanev will likely get at least $3-4 Mill, that means we have $7-8 Mill to sign 5 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 back up goalie. Yup, TOTALLY screwed....

Insert a Top 5 draft pick that can potentially play in the first season (i.e. Alex Galchenyuk)

Short term pain, long term gain...

Feel free to rip this apart!

"This is the worst thread ever, you want a team who is coming off back to back presidents trophies to tank. Ok lets think about this. The two best players in the history of our franchise are in their prime... we have the best defence we have had in years.... we are in the weakest division in the nhl this year, meaning an easy path to third in the west...and have the most ravenous fan base outside toronto/montreal. "

a different way to look at this is.

The 2 best players ever for the Canucks ( arguably), maybe past their prime as the points are down and the holy crap factor seems missing from their play mostly.

the defense is good to great on paper, but the best dman is Tanev so perhaps they are not as good as thought?

The weak division will allow the team to make the playoffs where they will run into a strong team and perhaps lose.

And I'd say many a team has deliberately tanked, they just call it rebuilding or looking to the future. Now they don't tell the players to lose but if you ice a team of 2nd and 3rd year players with upside you lose a bunch of games and build experience in your prospects.

Next year could be the year for the rebuild.

you miss the part about "Now they don't tell the players to lose " ?

I always expect the players to try to win, when they don't try it is time for a change.

Management on the other hand has to decide if

a) the team is progressing in the right direction

B) will they make it all the way with the players they have, are the ages right to have a large "window" or is it a one and done attempt.

c) can you move players to either crack the window open a little more this year or build for the future.

I did say that next year could be the year for the rebuild.

I'd say this is the last shot most of these Canucks have without large changes coming. Age and injury are becoming larger and larger downsides.

Archived