The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Hansen become a 2nd line player?

Lychees

no i think Hansen is still better suited playing on the 3rd line. he's really good defensively and usually don't get the 1st or 2nd defensive pairing which is beneficial i think moving him into a 2nd line role his production will drop.. and he has more playmakers playing on the 3rd line then he'll on the 2nd line lol.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I love Hansen and what he brings but he's a second liner on a team like Columbus (probably even a first liner there) and he's a great 2nd line sub here but when this roster is healthy he's a 3rd.

He's like Burrows, you can play him on any line and he'll fit great.

Hansen is whatever you ask him to be. That's why he's my favorite player. You put him on any line and he'll adapt. If you give him limited ice time and ask him to play physical he will, if you ask him to forecheck he will, if you ask him to score and give him the right linemates and enough icetime he will.

If he ever leaves the Canucks I'll be devastated.

Stats don't tell everything. He could have a very productive year, but Boyes put up 40 once. Cheechoo won a Richard. Nobody in their right mind thought that was their true potential.

Hansen's goals are usually very raw; he doesn't have the instinct or talent to score consistently like top 6 players on contenders (key word) do. His blue collar effort churns out goals every now and then, with help from his wheels. Don't get me wrong, that's great, but put him on a legit 2nd line for a season and he'll try to play a top 6 style which he can't do, and he'll be less effective overall.

He's a 3rd liner who can produce more than most other 3rd liners. A great player to have, but he's not top 6 and putting those expectations on him is unfair.

I think what we are seeing is the 'Burrows/Kesler Effect'. Those guys also looked real good on the 3rd line against opposing 3rd line players but when given a chance to play 1st and 2nd line they don't fair as well. I think that Raymond and Hansen both fall into this category. Keep them on the third line where they dominate rather than giving them a promotion and being dissapointed with the results.

/thread

I think what we are seeing is the 'Burrows/Kesler Effect'. Those guys also looked real good on the 3rd line against opposing 3rd line players but when given a chance to play 1st and 2nd line they don't fair as well. I think that Raymond and Hansen both fall into this category. Keep them on the third line where they dominate rather than giving them a promotion and being dissapointed with the results.

/thread

The Canucks don't really have a lot of, shall we say, "classic" 2nd liners. Booth is probably the only one that qualifies as a legitimate 2nd line player (injuries not withstanding). The ideal situation has a playmaking centre come in and Kesler moving to the wing opposite of Booth (Kesler is a great checking centre but messes up play chemistry on the offense). That said, the Canucks only have 1 playmaking centre, and he is on the first line, you have to make due with what you have. As such Hansen can easily compete with Raymond's, Higgins, Kassian, etc, for that 2nd line winger spot.

He's our most improved player this season, nice to see him take his game to the next level. Raymond has some what made a come back as well.. We need to make a trade though, we went from playing great to fighting for a playoff spot in the past month. :sadno: It's time MG, it's time.

Hmm.... Gets points like a solid second liner, 2nd highest on the team in goals and makes 1/4 of the salary of our leading goal scorer. Back checks better than pretty much everybody on this team save for maybe Burrows and Kesler. Where on earth is the hate and criticism coming from!!! What we are seeing is a young player gaining confidence in himself and coming into his own. The game seems to be slowing down for him. He's doing great!!! Making plays, scoring goals, checking. He does alot of things that most players on this team don't do. It feels like his ceiling isn't even close to where it could be. If Jagr came here and had any influence on him, I bet his points would shoot thru the roof!!!

Archived