Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on the deadline activity (or lack thereof) - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

Speculation

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#31 Hock-E-Dad

Hock-E-Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

No the problem with CDCers is posters like you who haven't a clue about how the league works

Anyone who is so ignorant to have a signature that reads, "Rick Rypien and Wade Belak=Selfish Human Beings" probably doesn't deserve a response, but here it is, grow up and stay off the boards until you can contribute more than just insults.

#32 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Are you old enough to be allowed on the internet?

The team got better, or are you just too stupid to see that?

The 5'9 center you are dissing is easily a 20 goal scorer and potential point per game player.

It can't be helped that the other teams aren't willing to trade for Luongo. Just cause things don't go the way you want, you can still have some class. And not just recklessly bash our GM who obviously tried very hard to make the team better the past week.

What mess are you talking about? We are 4th in the standings with a decent chance at the Stanley Cup this year. Grow up.

Derek Roy benefited greatly from the new rules coming out of the lockout in 2004/2005 and his numbers have fallen off considerably as obstruction has crept back into the game. He does have some ability but hasn't performed well in recent years. We will see how he does but I'm not convinced he is going to do much.

#33 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts

Luongo was brutally honest about how he feels.

I personally would never sign a player to a monster contract like such. Even Crosby.

They really should focus on moving Schneider. He'll get you a better return anyway.
Posted Image

#34 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

If everone on the team starts playing like they can and get the injured players back you never know,but the effort lately dosen't seem hopeful.

#35 'NucK™

'NucK™

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

same cap hit as fleury and hes sharing 1/2 his games with a 36yr old lol

length of contract might still be a slight issue for some teams, but really, the issue is gillis
Posted Image

#36 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,375 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Derek Roy benefited greatly from the new rules coming out of the lockout in 2004/2005 and his numbers have fallen off considerably as obstruction has crept back into the game. He does have some ability but hasn't performed well in recent years. We will see how he does but I'm not convinced he is going to do much.

I disagree. He had a bad season in Buffalo, so they traded him to Dallas. 22 points in 30 games with the Stars. Pretty much on par with his 08-09, 09-10 season where he had 69 and 70 points in 80 games.

Of course if Newell can't fix the PP, then Roy isn't going to shine as well as he could here... and to no surprise nobody else is currently.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 03 April 2013 - 12:42 PM.

Posted Image

#37 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

A mess, until the playoffs when we have two great goaltenders and, as we all know goaltending is critical in order to have playoff success.

And I'm confident Roy will be a great addition and contribute to the team. Good things come in small packages...remember Cliff Ronning?

I'm good with it....if it's not there what do you do? Can't force things and trades are two (three) way streets. Easy to grumble/complain but we're not kids waiting at the Christmas tree to see if we got what we wanted...this is a little more involved.

True Deb. And thanks for responding with tact and respect.

Will the dynamic within the team be able to weather this?

Will Luongo be okay with spending an entire season in flux? Will Cory?

The defense has been anemic as well, and nothing was done to address it.

I want to see the Cup parade as much as the next Canuck fan, but can't see the present team getting past the second round. I am being realistic, not pessimistic. I want to see the SCC banner in the rafters, but see that vision fading fast.
Posted Image

#38 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,264 posts

over half the league didn't do anything as good as getting Derek Roy.

^ This.

In the Luongo presser after practice he said he was pulled in case he needed to ok a deal. It's not like the Canucks weren't working the phones, but sometimes the deal isn't good enough or the teams involved aren't a fit.

We also know we were in on Clowe at least, and there may have been others, but people react like Gillis is an idiot and should be fired.

If it was easy, everyone would do it, yet only a few teams really made trades this year to upgrade.

EDIT: And +1 to Deb as usual. Unfortunately it's in response to another reactionary, emotional thread that didn't have the same forethought. Emotional responses are to be expected though, but the OP can't say he didn't expect the kind of responses he's getting as a result.

Edited by elvis15, 03 April 2013 - 01:03 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#39 JJLuongo

JJLuongo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Anyone who is so ignorant to have a signature that reads, "Rick Rypien and Wade Belak=Selfish Human Beings" probably doesn't deserve a response, but here it is, grow up and stay off the boards until you can contribute more than just insults.

Suicide is selfish and I will argue that till the day I die...Your life isn't yours, it doesn't belong to you, it isn't an entity that you can buy or trade..your life belongs to everyone you love and that loves you back...nothing is more selfish than telling those people you don't love them enough to stay on this planet...Wade Belak left behind two children who now get to grow up without a father, that's not selfish?
Content removed - offensive and inappropriate

#40 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Yup haven't missed a game since 1999 and been a fan since 1988....yup cleary I'm a bandwagoner...go home Canuck-a-nuck, we don't want you

You feeling hurt JJ? You don't like other peoples opinions? Go to Saudi Arabia buddy. Otherwise, this is a free country and I assume CDC reflects that.

Please just put down the hanky and go for a walk
Posted Image

#41 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts

over half the league didn't do anything as good as getting Derek Roy.

AAAAAANNND keeping a solid goaltending duo.

A shame that CDC is that predictable.

I am very happy we got a good pivot. Its really what the team needed immediately.

1znsn4k.jpg

Every "Burrow's Special", to Date.

#42 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts

WE are adding Kesler and Kassian in the next 10 days and we acquired a quality center that will help as we go forward .. now it is time for this team to step up and play to their potential .. that is ALL we can ask of them ..

It is what it is .. suck it up and get positive with this team now! .. OUR TEAM, for better or worse ..

If all you can do is whine and snivel, go cheer for the Hawks by joining the Toews fan club .. everyone gets a free box of Kleenix ..

I believe this team could surprise .. they go in with little pressure, other than the migraines being self-induced by the "oh woe is me" crowd ..

The good news is, if the Canucks fall flat, AV is history ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 03 April 2013 - 12:47 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#43 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

another waste year, another year the sedins get older. Other teams are significantly better and went all in. Windows have closed on this core and yet gillis will hope for a cinderella run to the cup just by adding Roy.

Gillis its either ALL IN or if you won't give full support to this core then get rid of players for multiple 1st rd pick this deep draft.
Nothing in between. Acquiring a rental just to get to 2nd rd is a major failure. CUP or BUST.

Canucks D corps are not good enough to go all the way. You should have added another reliable D for depth

Edited by ALTtimegreat, 03 April 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#44 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

^
Posted Image

#45 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

^ This.

In the Luongo presser after practice he said he was pulled in case he needed to ok a deal. It's not like the Canucks weren't working the phones, but sometimes the deal isn't good enough or the teams involved aren't a fit.

We also know we were in on Clowe at least, and there may have been others, but people react like Gillis is an idiot and should be fired.

If it was easy, everyone would do it, yet only a few teams really made trades this year to upgrade.

Results are what matter, doing NOTHING was not enough. Ofcourse its hard and thats why they get paid the bucks

#46 winter

winter

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

maybe party boy kassian can make noise outside the visitors hotel, to keep em up so they play poorly next day

#47 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

I agree this is a mess. Derek Roy is a welcome addition but not the answer. Also, Luongo doesn't deserve to be a bench warmer. He is a class act and should be starting on a regular basis. Gillis should do this team a favour and fire himself.

Agree with all of this,great GM's get things done and there's no excuse. If people think Lu's hard to move now, wait until the summer.

#48 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,581 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

We have the best goalie tandem in the league - unfortunately, we have hardly anyone that can score goals....

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#49 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Suicide is selfish and I will argue that till the day I die...Your life isn't yours, it doesn't belong to you, it isn't an entity that you can buy or trade..your life belongs to everyone you love and that loves you back...nothing is more selfish than telling those people you don't love them enough to stay on this planet...Wade Belak left behind two children who now get to grow up without a father, that's not selfish?

And you have dealt with debilatating mental illness and depression? We may yak back and forth about how we feel about Gillis, AV, and the team, but to be so ignorant as to judge someone who was so hopeless that they took their life is absolutely deplorable.
Posted Image

#50 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

A mess, until the playoffs when we have two great goaltenders and, as we all know goaltending is critical in order to have playoff success.

And I'm confident Roy will be a great addition and contribute to the team. Good things come in small packages...remember Cliff Ronning?

I'm good with it....if it's not there what do you do? Can't force things and trades are two (three) way streets. Easy to grumble/complain but we're not kids waiting at the Christmas tree to see if we got what we wanted...this is a little more involved.

Ronning was a small package on a team of very large, very tough team mates. Roy is a small, soft player, on a team of small, soft players. Prepare for the beat down. Lets hope they get the smallest, softest team out there in the first round.

#51 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

complaining is easy when you're on the outside looking in

Like Mike Gillis appears to be?

#52 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

WE are adding Kesler and Kassian in the next 10 days and we acquired a quality center that will help as we go forward .. now it is time for this team to step up and play to their potential .. that is ALL we can ask of them ..

It is what it is .. suck it up and get positive with this team now! .. OUR TEAM, for better or worse ..

If all you can do is whine and snivel, go cheer for the Hawks by joining the Toews fan club .. everyone gets a free box of Kleenix ..

I believe this team could surprise .. they go in with little pressure, other than the migraines being self-induced by the "oh woe is me" crowd ..

I will never stop cheering for the team. I have a right to make a personal judgement call on the management. Right or wrong.
Posted Image

#53 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

That's the predictable cliche from teams that crap the bed

#54 JJLuongo

JJLuongo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

And you have dealt with debilatating mental illness and depression? We may yak back and forth about how we feel about Gillis, AV, and the team, but to be so ignorant as to judge someone who was so hopeless that they took their life is absolutely deplorable.

Yes I have. I've also lost a family member and a high school friend from suicide. Suicide is not the answer when you have children and family that love you.
Content removed - offensive and inappropriate

#55 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Suicide is selfish but ones life is ones own and if they want to be selfish then that's their business, everyone else be damned.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 03 April 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#56 joecanada777

joecanada777

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

You can argue that all you want but you have no right to judge another person or their lives ... Perhaps that person was deep in despair and suffered daily or had a mental illness. You have no cause to publicly decry them. If you are so worried about their families perhaps you should volunteer with a support group , not prolong their grief by judging their family member

QUOTE(queen_canuck_fan)
cuz when I saw you outside in the bushes, by length I would have guessed 11...

QUOTE(Whiskey7 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is done in almost every sport, in every league, for a great player who has an "oooooo" sound in his name. I'm always a bit surprised when people don't pick up on it, and announcers on TV have to clarify for those at home.

#57 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I agree this is a mess. Derek Roy is a welcome addition but not the answer. Also, Luongo doesn't deserve to be a bench warmer. He is a class act and should be starting on a regular basis. Gillis should do this team a favour and fire himself.

Gillis problem is he lacks (his idiot scouts lack ) focus.

He doesn't seem to prioritise and keep these priorities front and centre. We need everything and more that Roy brings but in a MUCH bigger frame.

Even if we perform well in the playoffs we will be beaten to a pulp again and all the physical pushback will again have to come from the same 3 or 4 players.

For me he has failed miserably................AGAIN!
Kevin.jpg

#58 Hock-E-Dad

Hock-E-Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

If someone dies of cancer, is that selfish? Mental illness is a disease just like any other medical condition, yet you equate suicide to a selfish decision which makes me question your perspective.

#59 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

We should play Luongo tomorrow. Now the trade deadline is pass, we don't have to worry about injuries anymore. Luongo deserves to play 50% of the games going forward.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#60 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

That's the predictable cliche from teams that crap the bed

Well anyone who is a realist, or pragmatic in the least, picks out the positive attributes and focuses on them externally, while inwardly cursing the inadequacies of those who makes the decisions that effect them .. as I said ..

IT IS WHAT IT IS .. accept it or not, anyone whining on here is not going to change anything in the least, tho it is a great source of humourous inspration .. :towel:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.