The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel meeting with the media today, possible jersey retirement?

gaydar

1.1 point per game average over his career. That puts him in the top 25 all time in the NHL. The 3rd highest goals per game average all time in the NHL

Highest goal per game average (minimum 30 goals):

.7895 - Pavel Bure (1993-94: 60 goals in 76 games)

.7229 - Pavel Bure (1992-93: 60 goals in 83 games)

.6962 - Alexander Mogilny (1995-96: 55 goals in 79 games)

.6220 - Pavel Bure (1997-98: 51 goals in 82 games)

.5854 - Markus Naslund (2002-03: 48 goals in 82 games)

Baggins, I don't get you. You say you are a canucks fan but disparage Bure and try to minimize his impact every chance you get. I don't get it man, what happened? Did Bure snub you for an autograpf at some point, maybe you can get that rectified.

I'm picturing you on a rocking chair on your front porch, yelling at traffic and passersby...

Are you really 70+ years old? If so, good on ya for learning the internet but keep your opinions about Bure to yourself, you are embarassing us.

I see what you're saying.

Arguably, he accomplished more in less time than most Canucks players (if not all), is not far behind in many franchise record categories, and won the Calder (Something no Canucks player has managed to do before/after).

From your standpoint (NHL accomplishments/Games played for the team) then he shouldn't be,

but there's no set of rules for which a player must accomplish to retire a number. It's up to the team.

His points per game are actually deceiving because because of his shortened career. He packed it in at 31. What would Gretzky's average been had he retired at 31? How about Lemeiux? Add in Dionne, Sakic, Yzerman, and many others who played a full career and experience the point decline that comes with aging. Sorry but points per game is a pointless stat when others more talented played well beyond their prime and experienced the production decline that comes with aging.

Obviously a lot of controversy with Bure. I was never a big fan of him as I prefer a different style of hockey, but back in the day he was a very special player in the clutch and grab era. To date I don't think there has been a single player with the nucks who was as popular as he was. He was our first big star and put Van on the hockey map. The nucks are a big time club now and it started with him. As far as retiring his jersey it is undeniable that he has been an important player in the history of the club.

Well Baggins, your arguements against Bure are petty at best and actually quite pathetic. Seems to me that you are a very special person who gets to be closer to the team than most so good for you. It's personal to you and Bure never reached in touched your heart like the other players you mentioned. I'm sorry to hear that but it has no bearing on his career and what he gave to Vancouver, BC and all the other fans therein.

You keep bringing up Naslund so it also seems to me that you are actually just pissed that Bure's recognition is shining a light onto what an absolute joke it was retiring #19. What was Naslund's greatest accomplishment in the playoffs?

"We Choked" - Marcus Naslund

I'm not going to go around in circles with you, there is another thread that covered everything.

Here's what I suggest for you, D Bag:

Step1 Build a Bridge

Step 2 Get the frack over it

BURE RULES!!!! Glory days are here again!!!!! :towel::towel::towel::towel: #10 Biatches, dontcha fuggit it!!!!!

Whatevs Buggins, it's not up to you and your arbitrary set of "Games played + How nice a guyy are you" criteria. You can keep sucking lemons, grandpa.

Naslund sucked, sulked and was just as dumbfounded as everyone else when his jersey went up. Never will another player of such low calibre have his name hung from the rafters. BTW, has he been back in Van since that joke of a ceremony????

Raise #10 and bring the Canucks one step closer to credibility and respectability.

Baggins, I really enjoy the way you debate a subject, you bring in some great facts and never take anything on face value, although I may disagree with you on this subject, you always bring something to toss around to the table.

In my eyes, it goes far beyond the stats., he was a player that every shift brought you a little closer to the edge of your seat, it seemed the possibilities were endless, we finally had our Gretzky, our Bossy, our Richard, our Orr.

For me he was the only Canuck player to bring me that type of emotion ever, been watching since the mid 70's and I can safely say, he was the only one that stirred that emotion.

His points per game are actually deceiving because because of his shortened career. He packed it in at 31. What would Gretzky's average been had he retired at 31? How about Lemeiux? Add in Dionne, Sakic, Yzerman, and many others who played a full career and experience the point decline that comes with aging. Sorry but points per game is a pointless stat when others more talented played well beyond their prime and experienced the production decline that comes with aging.

Baggins, I really enjoy the way you debate a subject, you bring in some great facts and never take anything on face value, although I may disagree with you on this subject, you always bring something to toss around to the table.

In my eyes, it goes far beyond the stats., he was a player that every shift brought you a little closer to the edge of your seat, it seemed the possibilities were endless, we finally had our Gretzky, our Bossy, our Richard, our Orr.

For me he was the only Canuck player to bring me that type of emotion ever, been watching since the mid 70's and I can safely say, he was the only one that stirred that emotion.

Very well said. Push aside stats, other players, longevity or lack thereof, etc. Based on pure excitement and making you want to watch, he packed a punch.

Whatevs Buggins, it's not up to you and your arbitrary set of "Games played + How nice a guyy are you" criteria. You can keep sucking lemons, grandpa.

Naslund sucked, sulked and was just as dumbfounded as everyone else when his jersey went up. Never will another player of such low calibre have his name hung from the rafters. BTW, has he been back in Van since that joke of a ceremony????

Raise #10 and bring the Canucks one step closer to credibility and respectability.

Archived