The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL14 details being released

goalie13

So many things I could rant on about NHL 13...

AI is not improved. Instead, they just made computers superhuman. They're basically just tiger-gorilla hybrid freaks on steroids with pea-sized brains. I can't count how many times I've tried to play a power forward game online (90 strength, 85 balance, 87 body checking) and some CPU midget just sends me flying with a flat-footed push nudge from behind. Then some guy on the other team using a grinder with ridiculous speed just skates right through my AI while they refuse to check him, constantly skating backwards, and then just glitch goals the goalie forehand-backhand-forehand, works 100% of the time. So yeah, AI and how attributes play out (especially VS CPUs) need work more than anything.

Hitting also needs work. If I go high-speed head-on collision I'll bounce off a guy. But somebody will do that tapping the right stick glitch, barely touch me, and I'll go flying. The physics are ridiculous. Skating is better, but it's so frustrating how it is physically impossible to turn around while standing. Passing needs a lot of work, and straight shooting is useless on AI goalies regardless of shot stats unless you're in a certain specific area. Poke check needs to be nerfed, stick lifting needs to be buffed. SOMETHING needs to be done about board play, it's so unrealistic. Goaltending, both AI and user-controlled, needs a huge amount of fine-tuning. Like CPU skaters, the goalies can only make up for being retarded by being superhumanly fast and precise. ALL the desperation saves a goalie makes should be under your control when you're in the net. I'm sick of sitting on my butt doing the splits for a shot right at the mid-pad, and then being unable to move while they pot in an easy rebound.

Refs are ridiculous. You can get called for interference for nudging somebody away from the play with right stick by accident, but if somebody cuts off your lane and knocks you to your knees without right stick, no call. You can just get steamrolled in front of the crease for no reason, no call. This goes in with the buffing stick lift...always get high-sticking/hooking no matter what whenever I try to stick lift. If the guy is standing still AFK and I slow up right next to him and try it, penalty. Charging, clipping, kneeing needs to be put in the game. Goalie interference is also random as hell.

I actually like playing the game, but it needs so much work.

Oh, I forgot. Nothing cracks my crayons more than CPU's playing horizontal hockey. When the passes are all being covered well, and I don't want to call for the puck, the CPU will either just keep passing it back-and-forth constantly between D partners, or skate around in between the offensive blue line and the red line. DUMP THE DAMN PUCK IN. There needs to be 'make the AI dump the puck' button like there is a shooting/calling for pass button.

One thing I would like to see changed up a little bit is the free agency period. For example;

Say Patrick Kane makes it to free agency and he asks for $9 million a year, and I only have $5 million in cap space. They should make it so you can sign Kane to what he wants (or a little more so you have a higher chance at landing him), and then after you sign him you can make some trades to get back under the salary cap.

Guest Gumballthechewy

So many things I could rant on about NHL 13...

AI is not improved. Instead, they just made computers superhuman. They're basically just tiger-gorilla hybrid freaks on steroids with pea-sized brains. I can't count how many times I've tried to play a power forward game online (90 strength, 85 balance, 87 body checking) and some CPU midget just sends me flying with a flat-footed push nudge from behind. Then some guy on the other team using a grinder with ridiculous speed just skates right through my AI while they refuse to check him, constantly skating backwards, and then just glitch goals the goalie forehand-backhand-forehand, works 100% of the time. So yeah, AI and how attributes play out (especially VS CPUs) need work more than anything.

Hitting also needs work. If I go high-speed head-on collision I'll bounce off a guy. But somebody will do that tapping the right stick glitch, barely touch me, and I'll go flying. The physics are ridiculous. Skating is better, but it's so frustrating how it is physically impossible to turn around while standing. Passing needs a lot of work, and straight shooting is useless on AI goalies regardless of shot stats unless you're in a certain specific area. Poke check needs to be nerfed, stick lifting needs to be buffed. SOMETHING needs to be done about board play, it's so unrealistic. Goaltending, both AI and user-controlled, needs a huge amount of fine-tuning. Like CPU skaters, the goalies can only make up for being retarded by being superhumanly fast and precise. ALL the desperation saves a goalie makes should be under your control when you're in the net. I'm sick of sitting on my butt doing the splits for a shot right at the mid-pad, and then being unable to move while they pot in an easy rebound.

Refs are ridiculous. You can get called for interference for nudging somebody away from the play with right stick by accident, but if somebody cuts off your lane and knocks you to your knees without right stick, no call. You can just get steamrolled in front of the crease for no reason, no call. This goes in with the buffing stick lift...always get high-sticking/hooking no matter what whenever I try to stick lift. If the guy is standing still AFK and I slow up right next to him and try it, penalty. Charging, clipping, kneeing needs to be put in the game. Goalie interference is also random as hell.

I actually like playing the game, but it needs so much work.

Oh, I forgot. Nothing cracks my crayons more than CPU's playing horizontal hockey. When the passes are all being covered well, and I don't want to call for the puck, the CPU will either just keep passing it back-and-forth constantly between D partners, or skate around in between the offensive blue line and the red line. DUMP THE DAMN PUCK IN. There needs to be 'make the AI dump the puck' button like there is a shooting/calling for pass button.

I cannot agree with you more. I don't play online at all, mostly BAP a little BAGM, so it's always me vs AI and playing with AI teammates and it's just a hair pulling experience most of the time. Like you said an AI player 5'10" 182lbs can knock me flat on my ass as I blow past them (them being standing still at the time) and I'm 6'2" 220lbs, and if I try and hit them (going full speed with 87+ checking, strength, aggression and balance) and I just bounce off them. Hell I tried to knock RNH on his ass as he cut to the net and I end up in my ass! Ten seconds later I get the puck and RNH comes up from behind and upends me like he's a 8 foot 300 pound monster.... <_<

And don't get me started on how the enemy AI sticks are freakin' puck magnets....

Guest Gumballthechewy

Don't forget to mention that ever since they introduced the stick lift feature, I think it was in NHL 11?, I would either get called for a slashing/hooking penalty, OR I would actually lift their stick and either steal the puck, or just slow down their skating..

They need to fix the roster moves in both GMC and BAGM, for example say EA's brilliant AI throw Ryan O'Reilly in the minors to start the season, but gives me 23 players, so I can't call him up without sending someone down. Only other problem is I can't send someone down without being under the cap floor, so I've got to sign some scrub for $8 million.

Guest Gumballthechewy

They need to fix the roster moves in both GMC and BAGM, for example say EA's brilliant AI throw Ryan O'Reilly in the minors to start the season, but gives me 23 players, so I can't call him up without sending someone down. Only other problem is I can't send someone down without being under the cap floor, so I've got to sign some scrub for $8 million.

Archived