The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating (from an unbiased point of view)

westvandude

The officiating was pretty weak. It wasn't that they were biased but they missed some calls on both sides. The Kassian penalty seemed soft too when you compare it to the other stuff they let go.

All I will say about this is the Canucks only got 2 powerplays and one of them the refs HAD to give to us since he shot it over the glass....So yeah, 1 earned penalty over 60 minutes? Seems highly unlikely...........

Having said that...Kassian's braindead penalty in the offensive zone was the tsn turning point.

That 2011 series against the blackhawks exposed how the league is really only interested in synthesizing parity. Even tho we went to the finals that year, I lost my faith/passion in/for the NHL. The league is a fraud.

A fun stat for everyone: Team with 2nd most penalty minutes in the West (almost 1st)...your Vancouver Canucks. And no, it's not all that fighting at the start of the season that did it, our total number of majors are not that high. It's that we get 4.9 penalties a game, or 12.7 minutes per game. With our one or two token PPs, the team spends a fair chunk battling uphill each night.

Hope everyone saw that first period.

Garrison cross-checked in the face, no call; retaliates with small cross-check, 2 mins. Corrado obviously hooked behind the Nucks net, no call. Kassian gets a scoring chance from the slot - play is stopped for some reason right as he is about to shoot it. No reason given.

Fking bs.

Dont blame the officiating? What do you expect to happen when you illegitimately call penalties as one sided as was done in this game so far? You call the way this game has been officiated impartial or fair in any way?

Yes the canucks cant score.. what does that have to do with the officiating being as bad as it is?

i keep seeing people make this same stupid post as you have and its the dumbest thing ever..

No kidding. It became plainly obvious last season that the board of govenors control the oficials when the way the game was called changed leage-wide half-way through the season. All the refs changed the way they called the game, not just some of them. The "they're only human" slant is just another way of excusing biased officiating.

Once we got the lead, they called a borderline call on Kassian which changed the game. We had to let up on the physical game so we don't give them anything to call. To make matters worse, they called an incredibly soft call to start the 3rd period. As a result we had to walk on eggshells after that. The sharks got a boost because they knew the refs and linesmen were on their side.

This loss had nothing to do with officiating. It's an excuse...nothing more. Good teams battle through it. Pens got every single call their way tonight, but the Isles fought through it and found a way to beat a far superior team. They didn't whine about it.

This loss had nothing to do with officiating. It's an excuse...nothing more. Good teams battle through it. Pens got every single call their way tonight, but the Isles fought through it and found a way to beat a far superior team. They didn't whine about it.

So clearly the Canucks fans were pissed off again last night at the seemingly biased officiating. Is there anyone on CDC who can be unbiased and knows the rules well enough to tell us objectively if the officiating last night was as one-sided as it seemed?

If it was, it really pisses me off because you could tell that both teams started sluggishly, and it was the kind of game that would come down to small advantages and one goal. And in my view, the refs give too many unnecessary PPs to the sharks, which gave the edge and got them going to win this crucial game. A game which could have materialized the Sharks' worries now turned into a confidence builder for them.

I could even handle the refs being a little biased towards the home team (chalk it up to home ice advantage for the team that worked harder during regular season)... but not the reverse!

This series features the largest discrepancy in PP:PK time between the two combatants.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20133ALLSAAALL&sort=teamPenaltyDetail.powerplayMinusPenaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

No team that has played 2 games in the playoffs this year has less PP time than the Canucks. 3 teams have had more PP time in 1 game than the Canucks have had in 2.

Just saying..

Archived