The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Game 2 and History

BuretoMogilny

Tomorrow as they say in the NHL adds, History will be made, either good or bad, it will be.

No one believed Luongo would ever get a chance to rescue his reputation, to prove he is a great goalie in Vancouver again after LA last year. But tomorrow he gets that opportunity.

These are the moments much like game 7 vs Boston and the series, last year vs. LA, that a player either becomes a great or continues to just be seen as a 'good', competitive player.

Lou has been lucky in some ways, not many players get multiple chances at that - the chance to show the world that they can the best. Perhaps the loss of game 7 (which I never blamed on him, but he impacted that series) and his resume prior earned him extra chances. But people still want to believe that he is one of the greats in history.

Lou has shown he has been a very good goaltender in the NHL, certainly the greatest Vancouver has ever seen, but he has never quite reached the NHL greatness that comes from stealing a series, carrying a team to a cup and winning it (Quick did it, Thomas did it, and of course Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and not that Quick and Thomas are even in that latter echelon, maybe Quick one day).

Well tomorrow is one of those moments. It's a moment that will either help towards the lifting of the veil of criticism for Lou, or just add to the weight that is already there. This is a moment of immense history in the story of the Vancouver Canucks and for Roberto Luongo.

We don't have the depth or size to match up well against San Jose. People can critisize that view, but I believe that to be the case. What that means, is that in order for us to advance, we will need our goalie to steal the series. Tomorrow's game means the series. We either go down 2-0 or even up and if so, we're down to the best of 5 (home ice ignored).

Roberto Luongo needs to find greatness tomorrow. He needs to show that he can be as great as Roy, as great as Hasek, as great as Brodeur and will his team to a win. The way he did when he first came to Vancouver.

If he does, and he can carry us through this series, his reputation, regardless of whether Schnieds gets the crease back will be set as a man who fought through a great deal of mental challenges, found a way to lead a team that was outmatched, and stood on his head to steal a series. It may not be the cup but its the most important game left if we want to get there.

Go Lou, convince the doubters, convince me. Steal us the game, steal us the series, take back your name, your reputation, prove em wrong.Show us that leadership, that competitive fire we know has always been in there, that's been pounded down, come out swinging.

Lets hope history is made.

Go Canucks Go!

Lou did his part last night, an exceptional performance, but the forwards didn't help him out.

I hope tomorrow the team can score and redeem Lou's reputation so that he wont be criticized as much as he is now

:canucks::) Believe in Lu :):canucks:

I don't really think it will matter how good Lou is if they can't score goals? Look at the Boston series, look at the L.A. series and now the start of this series. (Not even taking into account their scoring problems in the regular season). If this teams stars can't raise their level of play they will always be the brides maid?

We can't win even if Luongo gets an 600 mins shutout with 58340958034985349054030 saved if the team couldn't even score a single goal. Goaltender is more like a supportive role in a game. As long as the team score more than the other team, we would win even if you put me in the net.

Let's talk about the Sedins instead of the goalie for a change.

One of them is our team Captain (when did that stop meaning something in the Stanley Cup Playoffs?), they get top line minutes, top powerplay minutes, are counted on to produce at an elite level, and earn a combined $12.2 M each year (over 17% of the $70M cap, which translates into near 20% of the $64M cap next year).

They were invisible for game one, on home ice, apart from Daniel passing up an absolutely wide open shot on an island in front of the net. These guys always get a pass and people focus on the goalies, whichever defenseman is handling the puck like a grenade as of late, or the coach. Even Ebbett gets criticized more than the twins.

After we lose a crucial game one, an absolute tone-setter, the captain stands up and says "You know, we weren't far off, we played hard, blah blah blah, couple bounces here and there". So passive, so accepting of their defeat. Such sporting gentlemen who don't seem to want to battle, sweat, and bleed if necessary for the cup. Maybe because they're such role model citizens and sportsmanlike players, people hesitate to get on their case.

Well, I'm firmly on their case, and holding them accountable for our loss in game one. We need them to lead this team and dominate the opposition. That's what they are paid for, and that's why they get all of the golden ice-time opportunities.

Archived