The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

White Noise Canucks Talk

Guest Gumballthechewy

Torts seems like he'd be a great guy to watch a game with over beers.

That is not a good reason to keep him as coach. He was a poor fit for this team and did a poor job of coaching the players he had. His primary job is to get the best out of the roster supplied to him and he quite simply failed at that main, primary and very important part of his job.

Whether he was honest, like-able, showed emotion etc really matters little.

Torts seems like he'd be a great guy to watch a game with over beers.

That is not a good reason to keep him as coach. He was a poor fit for this team and did a poor job of coaching the players he had. His primary job is to get the best out of the roster supplied to him and he quite simply failed at that main, primary and very important part of his job.

Whether he was honest, like-able, showed emotion etc really matters little.

true dat homes. the un-bold stuff is also probably true too.

I will cry

Hate to say it but we have a redundancy of ~3rd liners and if Santorelli is re-signed (which he should be) he basically takes over Hansen`s role as speedy/feisty/mid-size "tweener" but he can also play C, which Hansen can not. That and making room for youngsters means some folks are out of a job. Have a feeling him and Tanev will be packaged.

Hate to say it but we have a redundancy of ~3rd liners and if Santorelli is re-signed (which he should be) he basically takes over Hansen`s role as speedy/feisty/mid-size "tweener" but he can also play C, which Hansen can not. That and making room for youngsters means some folks are out of a job. Have a feeling him and Tanev will be packaged.

Agreed and if Hansen get's traded hopefully we get a good character player back however I really hope Tanev isn't traded kid's got a ton of potential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so I liked the draft, some good players/potential in a relatively shallow pool, liked the trades, and now miller coming in, it's interesting. not sure miller will respond to the microscope of vancouver goaltending well, but this will take the pressure/workload off Lack and it could only help him.

if miller couldn't stand in st. louis' defense system, we ****ed

Unless he struggles when not seeing a lot of shots....?

I have to say Miller is the first move new management's made that I'm not thrilled with. I'm not losing my cheese like half of CDC but I'd have preferred we spent that money elsewhere IMO.

So far everything else they've done has been good-great though. So perhaps their far superior hockey knowledge is on the right track with the MIller signing...willing to give them the leeway to find out.

I'm guessing their far from done though. I have a feeling the opening roster's still going to look a fair bit different from what we see even now. Little surprised to see Hansen still here after his NTC's kicked in. Perhaps he's staying after all....?

Is Boston still in cap trouble with not signing Iginla? Was hoping to pick up Eriksson cheap on a cap dump...

upon further reflection, if miller regains his form then super, we have an elite all-star goalie again and for 3 years. if he doesn't and this is St. Louis pt 2 for him, then we have a better chance at McDavid. I see no issue with this.

upon further reflection, if miller regains his form then super, we have an elite all-star goalie again and for 3 years. if he doesn't and this is St. Louis pt 2 for him, then we have a better chance at McDavid. I see no issue with this.

True. Just the three years seems a year too long and $6m...I mean if we're going to try to be "competitive" I would have rather spent our money on a top 6 player and a PMD.

Goaltending was the least of our worries IMO. If anything, sign a vet journeyman guy at say $2-3m to take some of the pressure off Lack but still have Lack start ~45 games. We'd still have the same situation of them doing well/poorly and playoffs/McDavid.

agreed, but i think we'll be playing a lot of youth, and having a potential elite goalie to help insulate teir mistakes could be a very good thing, and it would help lack get his needed additional development time in as well. I would have preferred a 2 year deal, to be honest, but i'm not going to stress over it.

Yeah like I said...I'm not losing my cheese over it...it's just the first move that doesn't seem to "fit".

You think they'll make a run for Eriksson with Boston's cap issues? Who else you think they'll go after for a top 6 winger?

Yeah like I said...I'm not losing my cheese over it...it's just the first move that doesn't seem to "fit".

You think they'll make a run for Eriksson with Boston's cap issues? Who else you think they'll go after for a top 6 winger?

Just jumping into a conversation here but..

The miller deal isn't that bad, I think he probably wants to play a few more years in the NHL and be close to his wife. If it was a 4 year deal or more than I would have a problem with it. I just couldn't see him signing only a 2 year.

I can see Canucks going for Eriksson or Sharp to be honest. Benning seems like he will trade with any team. Both should come cheaper because of cap issues, but who knows what the actual asking price is. At the same time Benning might rather keep the spot open for a rookie to make the NHL. Might have to wait till training camp before we see him make his next move.

By all means, jump ;)

Yeah I think the team's going to be a lot different from what we see even now come Sept/Oct.

It's true, come October and this team has played a few games management might have made a few more moves, or realized there is no way this team can compete. That's when they decide it's time to move out more players and acquire picks and prospects

I'm happy with what has been done so far. I'm looking forward to the start of the season it's been more than a few years since I felt that way. I hope that the crazies don't scare our new signings or prevent others from signing for the canucks.

Archived