The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

White Noise Canucks Talk

Guest Gumballthechewy

If I am trading Tanev I want a young legitimate top 6 winger.

Tanev is hard to replace because we have no one as poise and reliable defensively as him besides maybe Hamhuis who plays the left side.

We also are thin on right handed defenseman

Obviously if it's a prospect the price goes down as compared to someone established (depending on their abilities/projection as well).

No one specifically, haven't had the time to research RH'd PMD prospects but I'd probably target teams looking to win NOW and needing vets like Hansen/Tanev.

And we wouldn't be thin on RHD if we get one back ;)

Niskanen would have actually been an exceedingly good fit...too bad the thin UFA market priced him out of our reach.

Obviously if it's a prospect the price goes down as compared to someone established (depending on their abilities/projection as well).

No one specifically, haven't had the time to research RH'd PMD prospects but I'd probably target teams looking to win NOW and needing vets like Hansen/Tanev.

And we wouldn't be thin on RHD if we get one back ;)

Niskanen would have actually been an exceedingly good fit...too bad the thin UFA market priced him out of our reach.

We lose a young shutdown defenseman with offensive upside and a solid 3rd line winger for a PMD prospect

I really see no sense in that. We can draft PMD prospects, in fact we have.

Tanev is arguably the best defenseman defensively on our team. Playing 64 games Tanev put up 6 goals and 17 points and was +12 on the 3rd worst offensive team in the league. Those numbers aren't inflated they are underrated.

Tanev has shown offensive upside and has helped shut down the leagues top players all season.

Sure we do, they're just a few years out. Tanev is only borderline top 4 anyway with no size, no grit and very limited offense. Tanev is not poised to anchor anything in a few years anyway. He's a complimentary top 4 guy. He's not a building block.

If we can get a young'ish or "nearly there" PMD prospect for Tanev, Hansen + (that actually COULD be part of a top 4 D for years to come) I do that in a heartbeat and long before going after Kane.

I just checked hockeysfuture.com to see what we have down the pipeline and I don't see much in the way of standouts in our prospects when it comes to d-men—mostly guys who might top out as 2nd pair D max.

I don't think Tanev is expendable unless we're getting back that PMD who can fit right away.

We lose a young shutdown defenseman with offensive upside and a solid 3rd line winger for a PMD prospect

Tanev is arguably the best defenseman defensively on our team. Playing 64 games Tanev put up 6 goals and 17 points and was +12 on the 3rd worst offensive team in the league. Those numbers aren't inflated they are underrated.

Tanev has shown offensive upside and has helped shut down the leagues top players all season.

^This. +1

If we really want a PMD in our prospect system then we are capable of trading a prospect like Gaunce, Cassels or even Fox for one.

I am sure we could get a good one in a prospect swap.

Believe it or not, I have confidence in Jordan Subban. I think he can overcome his lack of size.

Is it just me or is Vey and RFA this year? According to Capgeek, it seems he is. Everyone is just writing him in as signed though.

No, you're correct in your observation. Vey is currently an unsigned RFA, but seeing as how we traded a 2nd-round pick for him, it's fair to say that the Canucks fully intend to sign him.

I'm not talking about a prospect who might play in 3-4+ years I'm talking about one on the cusp like a Pouliot (though not necessarily/specifically him).

A guy who can step in likely this coming season. We have PMD's in our system that are likely 4+ years away and yes we can certainly draft more. That doesn't help the team, Edler, the Sedins or the PP now.

Also Tanev is not a shut down D. He's a defensively responsible, complimentary 4th D. There's nothing wrong with that at all but it's not the sun and the moon you're going on about.

As for "offensive upside"...it's limited.

I'm not talking about a prospect who might play in 3-4+ years I'm talking about one on the cusp like a Pouliot (though not necessarily/specifically him).

A guy who can step in likely this coming season. We have PMD's in our system that are likely 4+ years away and yes we can certainly draft more. That doesn't help the team, Edler, the Sedins or the PP now.

Also Tanev is not a shut down D. He's a defensively responsible, complimentary 4th D. There's nothing wrong with that at all but it's not the sun and the moon you're going on about.

As for "offensive upside"...it's limited.

Respectfully disagree that Tanev isn't a shutdown D. He might not do it with size and grit (like most who fit the description), but his strengths are his excellent positioning and defensive awareness—he always seems to know where he needs to be to keep the opposing offence out of the dangerous areas.

I do agree that his offensive upside is limited, but he usually makes a good first pass out of the zone. More importantly, he doesn't give away the puck very often.

Miller is a lot better than Lack. Lol. 3 years isn't bad and I have to pay extra for short term bud.

If you have an issue go cry in a pillow wuss.

Really compelling argument. Well done.

Their numbers at even strength were virtually identical last season, even with Torts riding Lack past the point of exhaustion and then some (beyond idiotic, but I'll save the Torts rant for another time). Lack's about to enter his prime, whereas Miller's was about 5 years ago. Unless you believe that Miller is miraculously going to return to prime form at 34 years of age, or that Lack overachieved last season and is about to fall off a cliff, there's really no logical reason to expect Miller to outperform Lack over the next three years.

In a vacuum, Miller is a nice addition as a safety blanket in case Lack flops; at 3x6, it's a waste of cap space that could be better spent on more pressing needs such as a 2nd line centerman or PMD.

Respectfully disagree that Tanev isn't a shutdown D. He might not do it with size and grit (like most who fit the description), but his strengths are his excellent positioning and defensive awareness—he always seems to know where he needs to be to keep the opposing offence out of the dangerous areas.

I do agree that his offensive upside is limited, but he usually makes a good first pass out of the zone. More importantly, he doesn't give away the puck very often.

Yes, he's very adequate...

Archived