The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks turn an embarrassment of riches in net into a flat-out embarrassment - Jason Botchford

Being negative is the easy route for lazy journalist. Making stories out of speculation and own beliefs rather than facts and truths seems to be the method of choice with the Province.

Some people need to give their head.

Buying out Luongo was never an option. We just got a potential star and kept the same ability in Goaltending.

Schneider HAD to go and people on here saying he was a franchise goalie. That's just dumb, Roy, Brodeur and Hasek were franchise goalies. You think Schneider is in their league? Lol.

Bobby's gonna have to make do playing for $6.7 million per season for the next five years.

It's a tragedy, but I'm confident he has the character to pull through his ordeal somehow.

I can see that Jason Botchford is broken up about it too. Because he cares, you know.

To get only a 9th overall pick for Cory is getting hosed in a huge way. Gillis cemented himself as worst GM in team history.

I understand Cory was moving. But for this and only this. OUCH!!!

Our biggest trade piece is off the board. This was the piece that we could have moved for a serious and noticable improvement to the team now. To get only a draft pick for this player is a disaster of epic proportions.

I think that Horvat is a decent player. However. We now have yet another 3rd line center that does not want to be a 3rd line center. We have an unproven NHL player in exchange for a Vesna candidate. Can anybody else say WTF!!! Are you serious?

Now we all get to watch as this team slowly decays into oblivion. Man, just blow the thing to kingdom come for as many draft picks as possible. The best thing that can happen to this team now is a total tank job. A few years of very high draft picks and a future to hope for as a result. As it stands. We are going to be decent, but NOT a serious contender. Not even close. This is a second round team at best. Probably being generous with that. Here comes another 10 years of total futility trying to make something out of nothing. Make the playoffs but no serous hopes of a championship. I would rather suck for 5 years and win a cup.

To get only a 9th overall pick for Cory is getting hosed in a huge way. Gillis cemented himself as worst GM in team history.

I understand Cory was moving. But for this and only this. OUCH!!!

Our biggest trade piece is off the board. This was the piece that we could have moved for a serious and noticable improvement to the team now. To get only a draft pick for this player is a disaster of epic proportions.

I think that Horvat is a decent player. However. We now have yet another 3rd line center that does not want to be a 3rd line center. We have an unproven NHL player in exchange for a Vesna candidate. Can anybody else say WTF!!! Are you serious?

Now we all get to watch as this team slowly decays into oblivion. Man, just blow the thing to kingdom come for as many draft picks as possible. The best thing that can happen to this team now is a total tank job. A few years of very high draft picks and a future to hope for as a result. As it stands. We are going to be decent, but NOT a serious contender. Not even close. This is a second round team at best. Probably being generous with that. Here comes another 10 years of total futility trying to make something out of nothing. Make the playoffs but no serous hopes of a championship. I would rather suck for 5 years and win a cup.

I like loyalty but not "blind" loyalty. I have been a supporter and defender of Gillis for most of his tenure and probably will be again. In saying that, the goalie situation was mismanaged by Gillis from start to finish. If another team other than the Canucks made that Schneider trade, a lot of the Gillis defenders on here would be whistling a different tune. I am not a fan of Botchford to be sure, but generally speaking, his report simply echoes what the vast majority of the media has reported. You can spin the everyone hates the Canucks conspiracy if it makes you feel better, however, the truth is Gillis put himself in this situation and ended up making a bad deal to fix it. That being said, I prefer keeping Luongo over Schneider, I really like the Bo Horvat pick, and I hope Gillis learns from this experience.

Many young fans seem to think we've made a real gain by trading Scheider. Having lived exclusively in the Luongo era they have no idea how difficult it is to come up with a great young goalie. (Some teams try for decades.) I don't imagine any of them suffered under the Cloutier era.

- a very likely scenario is that in the next year or two the Canucks suffer from bad goal tending and use a first round choice to pick a goal tender... where then will be the gain? There won't be any.

Guest Pinchin

I suffered through the later Kirk Mclean, Sean Burke, Corey Hirsch, Garth Snow, Bob Essensa/Felix Potvin and Dan Cloutier eras. And believe it or not Cloutier was the most steady of them all!

In Today's NHL, grade A goalies like Luongo and Schneider are easier to find then in the 90's. There are 10 to 15 goalies out of 30 teams out there that you can call 'elite'. I somehow don't think that we will have as much difficulty finding a replacement for Luongo then we did in finding him before.

But Bodee you may not like the reality of this but these guys are paid to sensationalize by stretching the truth and creating drama. If many of you; which I happen to think is an untrue statement rather it's just a loud minority, agree then what does that say?

Vancouver sports media is terrible because Vancouver sports is terrible. I realize there are the lions but other than that there is really only the Canucks in terms of major sports and I'm being generous even lumping the CFL in with "major" sports. The best of the best in terms of sports Journalists don't want to be in a city with little to know sports teams. These guys are the bottom of the barrel and their writing reflects that. These guys are the national enquirer of sports journalism. It's not their fault, well it is their fault but it won't change unless an NBA and or MLB team comes to Vancouver. The best thing anyone can do is look at what is written by these guys and go the other direction in terms of opinion. Real sports towns don't have to put up with this kind of thing and neither should we.

Archived