The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

no goalies are consistently consistent... unless you are talking about consistently bad..

if you don't understand that maybe you shouldn't watch hockey...

Pouria was right, people are expecting hockey players to be robot and they won't tolerate bad plays.... The moment the goalie in vancovuer had a bad game, they will label them inconsistent or a choker.

no+smoking.jpg

You telling me that Luongo's struggles in the post season have nothing to do with this sheepish first line? Give me a break. Dont over-look the fact that the players in front of him always sh1t the bed come playoff time. If we had the killers to step up and score goals, that would take the spotlight off of the goalie. Think about what the Hawks were able to do with Crawford. He is a sieve and played like crap every second game, but they were able to step up their game enough to compensate for the weak goals he did allow. Canucks cant do that.

What exactly do the Canucks skaters lack of scoring ability have to do with the fact that Luongo's play on average regresses in the playoffs? This hasn't been a one year issue, this has been a trend for 3 consecutive postseasons following 2007, nevermind the only 4 playoff games he's played over the last 2 seasons which weren't exactly spectacular. The team not scoring, which has really only been a serious issue for the last 3 series, should not have such a noticeably negative impact on Luongo's overall stats.

"Crawford is a sieve and played like crap every second game"?

Well despite this and all of those supposed soft goals he allowed he still managed to post a 1.84 GAA, .932 Sv%, and win a Stanley Cup. Luongo hasn't finished a playoff with numbers even close to that since '07, and obviously no cup.

Only if you add that he consistently gets 35-40 wins every regular season. It doesn't matter how you start a season when the team wins division title year after year. If we never got Luongo, this team would look very different. They would probably be hanging out with Calgary and Edmonton in the basement of the standing. I guess some fans are ungrateful of this teams success.

I dont think anybody's arguing that Luongo isn't a great regular season goalie, he is.

1: Lundqvist

2: Quick

3: Rinne

4: Niemi

5: Rask

6: Lehtonen

7: Bobrovsky

8 Schneider

9: Anderson

10: Backstrom

11: Smith

12: Kipper

13: Howard

14: Price

15: Crawford

16: Pavelec

17: Halak

18: Neuvirth

19: Holtby

20: Elliot

21: Nabokov

22: Luongo

All those goalies I would take over Luongo ANYDAY

Is your real name Mllbury?

Lou's up and down like a roller coaster. Admit it. He's anything but consistent.

Poor starts to seasons,, great in Jan/Feb when everyone else is battling mid season slumps and so so in the playoffs.

You seriously don't see the flaw in your logic there?

You're saying Luo is always slow to start and then gets strong while "everyone else" struggles in Jan/Feb. So, you're saying "everyone" has their slump months and that Luo always has his at the same time every season, but then arguing that that's what makes him inconsistent?

How many of those goalies reached the finals? How many of them are Olympic starters? How many of them have won in the Olympics? How many of them have been nominated twice for Vezina or once for Hart? How many of them have the Jennings trophy?

You have a bunch of one season wonders and possible busts over Luongo who has proved to be great for over 15 years. GTFO with that list.

The Vezina trophy he was only close in his first season here the 2nd nomination he was nowhere close to 2nd place so of the 7 season he has been here he really has only been elite in 2 of those years

here are the stats to back it up

2006-2007

GAA 5th

SV 2nd

Wins 2nd

2007-2008

GAA 9th

SV 10th

Wins 8th

2008-2009

GAA 4th

SV 4th

WIns 10th

2009-2010

GAA 15th

SV 14th

Wins 5th

2010-2011

GAA 2nd

SV 3rd

Wins 1st

2011-2012

GAA 12th

SV 9th

Wins 14th

2012-2013

GAA 14th

SV 17th

WIns 35th

his best years were 2006-2007 and 2010-2011 you could argue 2008-2009 he was elite but not top 3 as for the rest of his years in Vancouver averaging each rankings he is a top ten goalie but i wouldn't rank him as elite since really only 2-3 years out of 7 he has been in the top 3 in stats

Wins 10th

GAA 9th

SV 8th

Also i wouldn't put much stock into the Olympics its a different touranment compared to Playoffs and as for the Jennings he did have some help from Schneider and the Defense that year

The Vezina trophy he was only close in his first season here the 2nd nomination he was nowhere close to 2nd place so of the 7 season he has been here he really has only been elite in 2 of those years

here are the stats to back it up

2006-2007

GAA 5th

SV 2nd

Wins 2nd

2007-2008

GAA 9th

SV 10th

Wins 8th

2008-2009

GAA 4th

SV 4th

WIns 10th

2009-2010

GAA 15th

SV 14th

Wins 5th

2010-2011

GAA 2nd

SV 3rd

Wins 1st

2011-2012

GAA 12th

SV 9th

Wins 14th

2012-2013

GAA 14th

SV 17th

WIns 35th

his best years were 2006-2007 and 2010-2011 you could argue 2008-2009 he was elite but not top 3 as for the rest of his years in Vancouver averaging each rankings he is a top ten goalie but i wouldn't rank him as elite since really only 2-3 years out of 7 he has been in the top 3 in stats

Wins 10th

GAA 9th

SV 8th

Also i wouldn't put much stock into the Olympics its a different touranment compared to Playoffs and as for the Jennings he did have some help from Schneider and the Defense that year

First off... You're really going to give credit for a goaltenders award to the D?? But when Brodeur sniped that Vezina and record from Lu it was all the Tendy?? You're also going to give a the other majority of the credit to Schneider who played less games than Lu that season?? Come off it bud.

2006-2007 put up amazing numbers with no defence

2007-2008 was a crippled year for the Canucks and the only time they missed the play-offs since Lu came here. He put up good numbers that year with no team in front of him, thats another elite year.

2008-2009 if top 4 in stats isn't elite you're standards are too high, Also this is the year Luongo tore his hip.

2009-2010 Now a bad year for Lu, THE YEAR AFTER HIS INJURY.

2010-2011 You take credit away from Luongo he was the biggest part of their cup run PERIOD. Thomas had a career year and got the Vezina.

2011-2012 Bad year for Lu. Cup hangover and media coming down on him

2012-2013 He wasn't the starter because the goal tending was being mis-managed

And here is the biggest evidence of a hater

Also i wouldn't put much stock into the Olympics its a different touranment

Yea you're right... Instead of facing 2-4 all stars, you're facing 23. Herpadaderp. It's the most prestigious hockey tournament in the world. Oh and being asked to represent your country as their best goal-tender... Yea... Nothing really there to say you're good.

You can pick at those stats all you want... These are the facts behind them... You can hate all you want but it's blind.

You seriously don't see the flaw in your logic there?

You're saying Luo is always slow to start and then gets strong while "everyone else" struggles in Jan/Feb. So, you're saying "everyone" has their slump months and that Luo always has his at the same time every season, but then arguing that that's what makes him inconsistent?

so, Lou isn't up and down like a Yoyo? Real followers of hockey know that Jan and Feb are the dog days of the season where injuries and complacency set in and that's when Lou makes his gravy,

so, Lou isn't up and down like a yoyo? Real followers of hockey know that Jan and Feb are the dog days of the season where injuries and complacency set in and that's when Lou makes his gravy,

You're solidifying what the guy is arguing... Lu is slow to start and then is solid all year and then takes the blame in the play-offs.

REAL followers of hockey?? How elitist are you? How blind are you? So when Bob has a stand-out season it's because Bob was good? So when Rask does amazing with one of the most defensively sound teams in the NHL it was all Rask? So when Luongo starts playing good... it's injuries... and people not trying their best anymore and getting complacent. Man the double edge on this bull crap is astounding!

REAL hockey followers and REAL fans of the sport know that Luongo is one of the best in the league PERIOD.

REAL hockey fans aren't fickle and hate on a star player just because they like to throw blame around.

You know what? Luongo let in 4 goals in game 7 SCF yup he sure did.... Guess how many the forwards scored for the Canucks? 0. Yea If only Luongo had posted another shut-out we would have maybe won 1-0.

God damn it Lu, get your crap together...

the only goalies which I feel are better than lu are Lundqvist, Rask, Rinne, Bobrovsly and Quick, i'd pick him over any of the tier '2' guys (except Rask), putting him with those other guys is an insult to him; he'll be back and he'll silence all his critics

the only goalies which I feel are better than lu are Lundqvist, Rask, Rinne, Bobrovsly and Quick, i'd pick him over any of the tier '2' guys (except Rask), putting him with those other guys is an insult to him; he'll be back and he'll silence all his critics

I'm a big Rask/Bob fan but they still have something to prove to me. 1 more year like that and my top in the league would be

Lund

Quick

Rask

Bob

Lu

HM to Howard Rinne

First off... You're really going to give credit for a goaltenders award to the D?? But when Brodeur sniped that Vezina and record from Lu it was all the Tendy?? You're also going to give a the other majority of the credit to Schneider who played less games than Lu that season?? Come off it bud.

2006-2007 put up amazing numbers with no defence

2007-2008 was a crippled year for the Canucks and the only time they missed the play-offs since Lu came here. He put up good numbers that year with no team in front of him, thats another elite year.

2008-2009 if top 4 in stats isn't elite you're standards are too high, Also this is the year Luongo tore his hip.

2009-2010 Now a bad year for Lu, THE YEAR AFTER HIS INJURY.

2010-2011 You take credit away from Luongo he was the biggest part of their cup run PERIOD. Thomas had a career year and got the Vezina.

2011-2012 Bad year for Lu. Cup hangover and media coming down on him

2012-2013 He wasn't the starter because the goal tending was being mis-managed

And here is the biggest evidence of a hater

Also i wouldn't put much stock into the Olympics its a different touranment

Yea you're right... Instead of facing 2-4 all stars, you're facing 23. Herpadaderp. It's the most prestigious hockey tournament in the world. Oh and being asked to represent your country as their best goal-tender... Yea... Nothing really there to say you're good.

You can pick at those stats all you want... These are the facts behind them... You can hate all you want but it's blind.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we were a borderline if not completely a trap team in the first few Roberto years.

This team hasn't had "No defense" in a very long time, it's probably our strongest attribute in the past 43 years overall.

Luongo is a great goalie but stop throwing the word elite around, it's almost as miss used as "power forward"

He is not elite, he will not be in the HHOF.

So you would take Luongo over Crawford in a game 6 in Boston?

Thanks for the post

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we were a borderline if not completely a trap team in the first few Roberto years.

This team hasn't had "No defense" in a very long time, it's probably our strongest attribute in the past 43 years overall.

Luongo is a great goalie but stop throwing the word elite around, it's almost as bad as miss used as "power forward"

He is not elite, he will not be in the HHOF.

Go look at his all time stats and then look at his season averages, come back and tell me what you find. Kthnxbye

Also Puckdaddies opinion > yours

So you would take Luongo over Crawford in a game 6 in Boston?

Thanks for the post

I would have played Schneider in that 1 game yes.

would have played Schneider in that 1 game.

have played Schneider in that 1 game

played Schneider in that 1 game

Schneider in that 1 game

that 1 game

1 game

Luongo = Kolzig

Kolzig retired, Luongos still very much so playing...

Lu is on par to finish 3-4th most winning goalie of all time

~5th in all time shut-outs passing Jacques Plante

He is 3rd already in all time sv% behind Hasek and Thomas respectively

He is on par to be the 3rd goalie ever to reach 1000 GP

Thanks for the post

Go look at his all time stats and then look at his season averages, come back and tell me what you find. Kthnxbye

Also Puckdaddies opinion > yours

I would have played Schneider in that 1 game yes.

would have played Schneider in that 1 game.

have played Schneider in that 1 game

played Schneider in that 1 game

Schneider in that 1 game

that 1 game

1 game

CDC rule #6

If you want to be a troll, be a pro Luongo troll

you have mod immunity

Kolzig retired, Luongos still very much so playing...

Lu is on par to finish 3-4th most winning goalie of all time

~5th in all time shut-outs passing Jacques Plante

He is 3rd already in all time sv% behind Hasek and Thomas respectively

He is on par to be the 3rd goalie ever to reach 1000 GP

Thanks for the post

Great

regular

Season

Goalie

Archived