237 replies to this topic

#31 criticallycanuck

criticallycanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

I believe Linden is the only 18 year old to ever make our team.

At least, I can't think of anyone else.

I think you are correct. The '85 Bill Laforge disaster had a couple of 19 year old (Neely and Daigneault). And Nedved was 19 in '90. And awful.

#32 criticallycanuck

criticallycanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Likely the case, but still will be fun (hopefully) to watch these guys.

I'm not sure Schroeder is a Tortorella kind-of-guy. Especially with Santorelli around. It's hard to count on Kassian for much at this point. He could be the next Todd Bertuzzi or out of the league by next season. Krazy.

#33 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,162 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Cam Neely, trivia fans, along with Trevor played with us at age 18. As well as Rick Lanz.

Posted Image

#34 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Personally think MG is keeping Horvat to save face.

The goalie he traded has let in one goal in 3 games and has a save % of .990

If he sends the kid back he reminds the hockey world he gets raped on every trade.

Bad move, kid is not ready, Shink "Maybe" but even he im concerned about size and getting RNH syndrome and injuries when the men start playing like men. Exhibition guys dont hit as much as they are trying to stay healthy themselves...it changes next week.

Horvat, shame on you MG shame.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can't win an argument, correct the grammar instead"
- Internet Troll Handbook Chapter 1 pg 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Especially if the Kassian's are 6'3'' mountain men with missing teeth and cool tattoos and the Hodgson's are short legged weirdos with politician parents" - Hansen36

#35 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hunter has played well, but I still worry about rushing him. Mostly because he's not as physically mature. Look at Edmonton with Hall and RNH. They've both had major injuries already in their young careers and you have to wonder if those injuries will create problems down the road. They both definitely deserve more of a look though, even if its just a few games.

That is the big concern. But remember that the Oiler rookies were thrust into first and second line roles immediately and had to deal with everything that came with that.

The Canucks rookies would have the benefit of learning from elite players already here and could be eased into the lineup with third and fourth line roles.

I just don't see a heck of a lot of room for them right now to be on this roster.

Edited by MJDDawg, 28 September 2013 - 02:02 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#36 Frazzy Desjardins

Frazzy Desjardins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thank you Tortorella!!!

#37 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Totally agree, but we are deeper in the positions that Horvat would be playing. I think Hunter could stay if he starts scoring. Young rookies tend to get worn down by the end of the season, for that reason alone I predict NHL proven players will get the spots on this team, this year, in most cases.

Yeah but the kids will be up for probably 5-9 games unless we get a bunch of injuries. The coaches will be carefull with them, valuable experience for the kids. Torts rules.

#38 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm not sure Schroeder is a Tortorella kind-of-guy. Especially with Santorelli around. It's hard to count on Kassian for much at this point. He could be the next Todd Bertuzzi or out of the league by next season. Krazy.

I can see Kassian being very much like the Bertuzzi we saw the first years he was here - invisible and frustrating for the most part, and then, every once in a while - "Holy $%## - did you see that? Why doens't he do that all the time??"

#39 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Personally think MG is keeping Horvat to save face.

The goalie he traded has let in one goal in 3 games and has a save % of .990

If he sends the kid back he reminds the hockey world he gets raped on every trade.

Bad move, kid is not ready, Shink "Maybe" but even he im concerned about size and getting RNH syndrome and injuries when the men start playing like men. Exhibition guys dont hit as much as they are trying to stay healthy themselves...it changes next week.

Horvat, shame on you MG shame.

Christ man you are overthinking things too much, just let it play out.

#40 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

Here's some players 23 and under who had success with Torts:

Derek Stepan came out of college and stepped into New York in a big way. He put up 21 goals/45 points in his rookie season. The next year he put up 51 points as a 21 year old. Last year, as a 22 year old Stepan led the Rags in points, passing names like Rick Nash and Marian Gaborik.

Ryan Callahan, at the time 23, went from a 15 points/52 game player to a 40 point/81 game 2-way force in Torts' first year.

Despite his up and downs Micheal Del Zotto has put up point totals of 37, 41 and paced for 37 again last year, all under 23.

Carl Hagelin played his first NHL games under Torts. A former 6th round pick, put up 38 points in 64 games as a rookie.

Dubinsky went from a 40 point player to a 50+ point player in Torts' first full year, as a 23 year old.

Marc Staal, as a 22 year old, went for a 15 point player to a 25+ point defenseman when Torts took over.

Artem Anisimov put up 28 points in 82 games under Torts, then quickly became a 40 point player the following year.

Paul Ranger, 21, put up 28 points in 71 games under Torts and was considered a top-3 defenseman on most teams, due to his effective 2-way play.

Although Brad Richards stepped into the league a 62 point player, Tortorella had him a 70+ point and then a 79 point player at 23. Not to mention he had a Conn Smythe and a cup that year.

Lecavalier also made the transition from a player with unlimited potential to a cup-winning 1st line centre.

#41 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Looking forward to seeing what they can do in their first 9 games. My guess is both will be sent down as the Canucks have some players that are likely better suited to eat the minutes that they will play. Obviously Kassian is the most likely candidate to take Shinkaruk's spot once he's back from suspension. For Horvat, I don't see him being used in a 4th line role for the whole season and unless a spot opens up in the top 9, I don't see him sticking longer than 9 games. A guy like Kellen Lain or even Ben Ferriero would be better suited for that role.

Still, it's nice to see two 18-year olds stick for a change. They have both played well.

#42 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

John Shannon@JSportsnet 1h

The right call IMO. They've earned their spots. And this team needs the youth that they bring. Let's see how they do and how long they stay up here. Best of luck to both!

I think people are pretty happy with this news. Hovart for his part played a basic game going unnoticed while keeping pace with grown men.
I'm sure this isn't set in stone because of Kassian being out. Give the Canucks more time.
I'm not getting the impression Gillis and Co are impressed with the bottom 6 so a trade or pickup will change things.
Glad these two made it.

#43 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

If AV was the coach I would be against this out of principle. So glad he's not.

#44 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

really hope Shinkaruk plays with Kesler on the 2nd and Horvat on the 3rd with Hansen and Higgins and not 3rd line wing for Shinkaruk and 4th line center for Horvat. Otherwise we will waste their talent and should be sent to junior.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows(Kassian when Booth gets injured again)
Shinkaruk-Kesler-Booth (Burrows when Booth gets injured again)
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Richardson-Santo-Sestito/Weise

Doesn't mean anything if we gets "young" players in our lineup if it

#45 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

I agree that Schroeder has his work cut out for him. It's hard to know whether he can fit Torts' system though - he's got the speed to forecheck effectively and I think he showed good signs of that in Edmonton before his injury. The problem for Schroeder IMO is always that there is little room for him on the roster to play center (Santorelli has made a strong case to have a solid role on the team so far). The wing isn't much more open now. Shinkaruk seems to be the guy the Canucks will run with and Kassian will presumably bump Hunter back down to junior when he's back from suspension. The biggest question mark on wing is whether Booth can stay healthy so that may turn into an opening for Schroeder (but I do hope Booth stays healthy).

#46 sexpanther

sexpanther

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Shinkaruk I feel is most likely to get the longest look of the two. Horvat will get his 9 games and unless he's absolutely unbelievable, he'll go back to captain his team in the Memorial cup and hopefully bring home a gold at the WJC
Posted Image

#47 criticallycanuck

criticallycanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Teenagers to play reasonable minutes for Canucks:

18 year olds - Linden, Neely
19 year olds - Lanz, Daigneault, Ashton, Tanti, Petit, Nedved, Kesler

A HOF'er, a handful of stars, the rest capable NHL'ers.

#48 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

A pretty small list really.

#49 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

I personally think the Schroeder's days are numbered here in Vancouver.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#50 criticallycanuck

criticallycanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Here's some players 23 and under who had success with Torts:

Great post. Number of times AV relied on a player under 23 to play major minutes. Two. Dainus Zubrus and Alex Edler. Number of time Torts did the same thing over exactly the same period. Fifteen. 15!!

#51 amitriptyline

amitriptyline

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

:towel: When was the last time we had TWO 18 year olds in the line up?

Hunter is turning 19 in Oct.

Their lives decay before their eyes there is no hope or cure

among their own kind they live a life that's so obscure

first an arm and then a leg deterioration grows

rotting while they breathe death comes slow !!!

#52 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Great. Thanks.

I thought Neely had turned 19.

The Sedins were 20? And Ohlund? I thought they all snuck in as teenagers.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#53 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

They've earned the tryout. But I think they will be sent back once Kassian and Schroeder come back.
Posted Image

#54 criticallycanuck

criticallycanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

A pretty small list really.

It is a very small list. And the players without exception all wound up having NHL careers with varying degrees of success. On that simple basis, it seems worth trying more often... But most coaches, by definition, are too risk averse to try it. Torts is not.

#55 criticallycanuck

criticallycanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Great. Thanks.

I thought Neely had turned 19.

The Sedins were 20? And Ohlund? I thought they all snuck in as teenagers.

Yeah, I guess it's hair splitting really. They were 20 when the season started I guess. But 19 at training camp.

#56 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

It is a very small list. And the players without exception all wound up having NHL careers with varying degrees of success. On that simple basis, it seems worth trying more often... But most coaches, by definition, are too risk averse to try it. Torts is not.

Balanced with the number of players that were pushed at 18 or 19 and then failed to develop properly. I suspect there are very few 18 or 19 year olds that are mentally able to make the transition even if they are ready physically. It must be a tough call for managment to have patience when needed.

#57 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

this could really be the start of great things for these guys. players who get to start the season with their NHL team in their draft year become real impact players. super excited for these two right now!

#58 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,891 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Not that surprised...they've earned their way. Really excited, especially about Hunter in what we've seen so far. He is so passionate about the game...really love his enthusiasm as well as the talent he's already shown. Hope they do well.

Posted Image

#59 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

AV would have never let them play on the team.

"Mike, you gotta get rid of these young guys real soon. They're not real good at dumping and changing. They try real hard to score more goals instead of protecting the 1-0 lead. Also, they don't seem to understand my gum morse code. I keep chewing harder and they look at me real weird." - AV

#60 ImallinRU

ImallinRU

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Where's Gaunce Jensen & Schroeder? Exactly where I said they'd be. All too soft.... Bo & Hunter are real players like I said as well & will up to 9 games before going back to dominae for 1 more year.... We still need a trade as I'm not sold on Bootha at all & we still need more size when the real hockey starts, PLAYOFFS ...Corrado will be back for sure, ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.