The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts breathing life onto our Canucks

Stick-in-Rink

Why do some of you guys come into positive threads just to spew negativity

Why do some guys just view disagreement or skepticism as "spew(ing) negativity"? He makes a valid point. Many people have observed a simple fact, that Tortorella is probably overplaying his key assets on a team that has the second toughest travel schedule in the league. It has also been noted by many coaches over the years that key players in Vancouver wear down every year in Vancouver - which is why it is so crucial here that management provide strong third and fourth lines. Tortorella has only coached in the east and does not appear to be taking adequate regard of that observed history.

Having watched 24/7 Rangers-Flyers a couple years back, I knew Torts was gonna be good here. Great coach, great person, and he's exactly what this organization needed here. When a guy tangles with the media like Tortorella has done, you're gonna get a bad reputation because the media are the gatekeepers for that sort of thing. But, and Vancouver fans know this well, sometimes the media is a negative force. Sometimes someone needs to keep them in line. It ain't just because the team is doing okay. In fact I think the team has not looked that great, although there are reasons for that (injuries, tough schedule, lack of powerplay time). But win or lose I think Tortorella is the right guy for the job, in fact as soon as they canned Vigneault, who I thought was a pretty good coach himself, I was immediately hoping Tortorella would be the guy brought in to replace him, he was one of the few candidates who would make for a real improvement, and I think he has. Seriously, watch that 24/7 program, Torts was absolutely terrific in it.

I like that Torts actually communicates with the players personally. I noticed yesterday during the game when the Sedin's needed a break, Torts went behind Higgins, grabbed his shoulders, said something to him and Higgins was hopping over the boards like he had a mission to accomplish.

Yeah, I know. But the last 2 seasons have been the most dreary, and now that we're having a start such as this one, with a new coach, I can't help but be optimistic.

Not saying we should plan the parade right now, but I don't think we're a mediocre team as most think.

Just as Lu said, "Torts won't let us quit."

... which is as much a slight against AV as it is a complement toward Tortorella.

Love this team's resiliency. Or "stiffness".

Let's see how this California road trip ends; that's the toughest region in hockey right now.

These. I think if we can get Moulson that would allow Higgins to be our third line LW and we'd be set.

Healthy line up:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Moulson - Schroeder - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian

Booth - Richardson - Hansen

And what the hell would we have given up for him? You can't just plug him in to our full line up and say,"Look how good we'd be."

Nope, not really. It's not an opinion that the team's 14 games into an 82 game season. If their record was the opposite of what it is now and this was a doomsday, sky-is-falling topic I would be pointing out the exact same thing. Keep that in mind. Lots can happen in the next 68 games, temper the expectations.

Your right but look at it another way. They played 11 games away from home. Which mean they have played over a quarter of their games away from home and still have the record that they have. Still impressive considering the last seven season we always been known to have slow starts.

I feel as if we're watching a rejuvenated team out there. I honestly would have never expected coaching to have made this big of an impact.

I don't want to compare this team to the 2011 one.... but has anyone else been seeing flashes of what we saw in 2011? This team has been playing with confidence for the most part, and I thought talent would be abysmal this season outside of Sedins/Kesler/Luongo, but I've seen more heart from our entire team in about a month then I saw all the last 2 years. This team has an actually identity, one which was severely lacking and needed last season.

It feels weird, but I actually believe in them to go deep this year. I know a lot of the other teams are much stronger on paper, but with our coaching now intact I feel like if everyone plays their role, we could go very far.

Just feeling really hopeful about this team right now.

(Copied from my PGT post)

Do you guys believe we could have a deep run come play-offs?

I've had the same feeling. Sedins look like they did in 09-10-11, Kesler is finding his form, no goaltending controversy...plus Santorelli is basically an upgrade on Malhotra, and Richardson is about the same as what Lapierre was. As long as Booth can step it up and round out the third line with Hansen, we'll make a deep run.

I've had the same feeling. Sedins look like they did in 09-10-11, Kesler is finding his form, no goaltending controversy...plus Santorelli is basically an upgrade on Malhotra, and Richardson is about the same as what Lapierre was. As long as Booth can step it up

Stopped reading right there 2h6av13.gif ... that's about as likely as him making the USA team...the poor bastard actually thinks he has a chance at doing that too lmao

Honestly though, Torts is amazing. I don't even care if we aren't as dominant as before, I love seeing that spark that I was always jealous that other teams had like the Kings, Coyotes, Bruins, etc...over the past few years. I like our chances better this year than 2 years ago iah--hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

mike gillis's best move yet hiring torts ( posted this more than a few times ), some of us here we were calling for a.v.'s head ( tough argument we lost often ) late in 2012 and amped it up following the overwhelming beating the kings handed us, but we were wrong...

gillis has to find us a top 6 forward ( i prefer a true power forward ) to compliment this team that can represent the west in the scf.

http://forum.canucks.com/gallery/image/3164-/

Not even a quarter into the season.

a quarter way through a marathon. most people can tell who the front runners are. I think the sample size is adequate to make assessments.

I think we are seeing a team that has shaken it up a bit. they are volatile and interesting to watch this year. win or loose, emotions run high. I find myself glued to the game this year more than I have been for a while.

the ability to come back in games is a very useful tool in the playoffs.

secondary scoring seems to be shaping up.

line chemistry and team chemistry is different and well thought out.

some slow starters could make a difference if they get it together. (booth and kass)

Archived