The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Xbox One Thread

Kent.S

Latest rumours include Microsoft in talks to sell the entire Xbox brand to Amazon.

Here is a link: http://www.gamepur.c...ys-insider.html

If this happens, would it be a good or bad thing?

They will probably enhance their Amazon store to include Xbox games as I would imagine. Think of how many more customers Amazon would attract if they could allow DLC and Xbox games to be downloaded via the Amazon store. It could be a good thing if it causes the price of the console to go down just like how the price of tablets went down because of Google and Amazon tablets.

I hate Amazon so much - they guaranteed me a XB1 on release day, then reneged and said 'after Christmas' - but even I wouldn't mind seeing them snap up the XB brand. Amazon's prices beat everyone else's, and they'd easily be able to undercut PS4. If I was Sony I'd be worried about this rumour, as medium- to long-term this could spell bad news for them if it happened.

I hate Amazon so much - they guaranteed me a XB1 on release day, then reneged and said 'after Christmas' - but even I wouldn't mind seeing them snap up the XB brand. Amazon's prices beat everyone else's, and they'd easily be able to undercut PS4. If I was Sony I'd be worried about this rumour, as medium- to long-term this could spell bad news for them if it happened.

This rumour doesn't affect Sony in the slightest. Amazon is there to make money. They won't screw up a console that is in such high demand like the PS4. Why would they lose money on that?

Also, an update on it, someone from Microsoft completely denied this on Twitter.

Edited by Joffrey Lupul

This rumour doesn't affect Sony in the slightest. Amazon is there to make money. They won't screw up a console that is in such high demand like the PS4. Why would they lose money on that?

Also, an update on it, someone from Microsoft completely denied this on Twitter.

Sony being faced with a company that focusses on stealing the market first before raising prices? That should scare them. Here in the UK Amazon has taken out Virgin, Zavvi, HMV and Play.com for DVDs and games. The latter three all exist still, but when HMV went into administration they were selling 37% of all DVDs in the UK. It's less than half that now, and declining every week. Once Amazon has seen off their online rivals the only competition left is supermarkets, which may be competitive in pricing but can't offer the same postal service as Amazon. They are close to winning this particular war.

The e-readers saga is going the same way, with Kindle Fire slowly extinguishing the presence of Kobo here. I don't even know of any others. Once Kindle is the only option, prices will increase. Their CEO even said that they made zero profit in its first five years, such was their desire to corner the market.

If Amazon got ahold of XBox, they would immediately seek to batter down Sony and Nintendo, the latter is a piece of cake, but Sony would be a war of attrition. And Amazon prove constantly that they have the stomach for that. Sony would not be able to compete against Amazon charging £30 or even £35 for new games, and apps thrown in like free Lovefilm for a year etc.

All by-the-by, but I would expect Sony to abandon whatever PS5 plans it has within 5 years if Amazon did ever buy XBox.

• 1 month later...

So if I wanted to sell an Xbox One game it would work for whoever buys it? I can do that now right?

It certainly does in the UK. I managed to con some poor sod into paying me the same price on ebay as I paid in the shops for Battlefield 4, when the game was so broken you couldn't play the multiplayer!

Need to rant about something.

How freaking shortsighted of MS is it to have only a 500 GB hard drive? We have 40 GB games now. If they intend to sell the Xbox One as a digital distribution platform (which is clearly where this generation is going) then they're in big trouble. If you can run out of space with about 10 games on there, without DLC or anything there's an enormous problem.

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), you can't even attach an external drive.

Not to mention that down the line these games will increase exponentially in size. Pretty soon there will be only 5 games to a drive.

What a joke.

Need to rant about something.

How freaking shortsighted of MS is it to have only a 500 GB hard drive? We have 40 GB games now. If they intend to sell the Xbox One as a digital distribution platform (which is clearly where this generation is going) then they're in big trouble. If you can run out of space with about 10 games on there, without DLC or anything there's an enormous problem.

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), you can't even attach an external drive.

Not to mention that down the line these games will increase exponentially in size. Pretty soon there will be only 5 games to a drive.

What a joke.

I'm pretty sure you can. IIRC xbox one supports external hard drives while the PS4's is replaceable.

I'm pretty sure you can. IIRC xbox one supports external hard drives while the PS4's is replaceable.

Unless I am mistaken Xbox One does not support external hard drives currently but it is something Microsoft said they were working on fixing/adding.

It certainly does in the UK. I managed to con some poor sod into paying me the same price on ebay as I paid in the shops for Battlefield 4, when the game was so broken you couldn't play the multiplayer!

Haha. I sat back and realized between XO, PS4, and PC the only game I actually wanted that has been announced and only XO was Halo. Then debating on if I would rather have $620 in my pocket now or play Halo in the future... I decided to just finish up the game I had and sell it all for the price I got it.

Am debating a purchase, but have a few qualms.

How is the kinect in smaller rooms? I don't have much space with my bed, entertainment center, and dresser taking up most of the floor area in my room?

Are kinect arm gestures operable from a sitting position? This was a real issue with the 360.

How is the wireless receive on the console? I don't feel like drilling another hole for Ethernet.

Am debating a purchase, but have a few qualms.

How is the kinect in smaller rooms? I don't have much space with my bed, entertainment center, and dresser taking up most of the floor area in my room?

Are kinect arm gestures operable from a sitting position? This was a real issue with the 360.

How is the wireless receive on the console? I don't feel like drilling another hole for Ethernet.

I have the kinect in a small condo sized den, works well, it has a great setup/configuration menu when you start up.

Yes, kinect gestures work while sitting.

My wireless has run flawlessly, however I am also only 6 feet away from the router.... So take that for what its worth.

Ahahah good! It's a great console. You won't regret it!

Especially with titanfall!

Yup. Gotta get Titanfall lol. Yeah it's pretty sick. I've always been an Xbox guy so I was goona get it eventually, just waited for a game and Titanfall is perfect.

For sure, this is my primary console.

Edited by Joffrey Lupul

Cab, Kinect 2 is much better than the original. Working well In a small space is one of the new features of it.

Amen to that. Kinect 1 was a gimmick really, fun for playing games that didn't really mean much to you. But now it really does form part of your gaming experience, I used it while playing FIFA, Ryse and Thief. It's great.