The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Motorsports 2014

Henrik Kesler

Wow! what a race in Canada!

that´s what happen when you have real racetracks instead the new fancy ones designed only for very rich people...

see. crowded of fans, with real race. learn that FIA and forget those Arabic racetracks or expensive ones in China and Korea...

FIA need at least 5 more races like this one in Montreal and F1 will be fine again..

I can´t understand why F1 goes so well in Canada but didn´t find the right way to step in USA...

Montreal is a great track. Lots of speed combined with technical sections.

I think Circuit of the Americas is one of the best F1 tracks on the calendar. The racing has been stellar and I can only imagine it's going to be great again this year.

Great F1 race in Montreal.

You forget American racing legend Dan Gurney.

He competed in F1, NASCAR, Indy Car, and LeMans.

Honestly when F1 left Sebring, that's when F1 went downhill in the US. Racing at Indy for the F1 just doesn't work.

Maybe if they moved it to Long Beach, it could be popular again.

But Americans just don't seem to like open wheel racing, they'd rather watch NASCAR. (Unless it's drag racing with top fuel dragsters).

NASCAR races generally have more drama, passing, and strategy than a Formula 1 race. Formula 1 was, and to a large part still is, an expensive game of follow the leader where the team with the most money and most favored by the FIA gets to kick everyone's arse.

Isn't there a fatality almost every year at the Isle of Man TT?

Yes. Absolute Bollocks of titanium to compete in it.

• 2 weeks later...

NASCAR's Nationwide Series ran Road Atlanta today. Wonderful motorsport drama. I wish the Cup series would run Road Atlanta. It's a great road course. 4+ miles in length with technical bits and some long straightaways.

I love NASCAR (and all motorsport), but I think more road courses would benefit the sport. Road Atlanta would be one of the first to add to the schedule.

It would be a real joke if he did employ someone who can only turn left. Open wheel racing is so much different than Nascar, especially with how the power units and energy recovery systems are employed. He needs Alex Rossi as a young American who can get some patriot juices flowing as well as an experienced F1 guy who can help with car development.

Montreal was one of the best F1 races in many years, wow. I think Perez went a little left off line. If he was having rear brake issues like the radio said, he would have put the brake bias forward, which requires you to cut corners a little as the car will understeer. I don't think Massa expected this, hopefully both are ok

I think you aren't giving NASCAR drivers enough credit. Given some practice time and a competitive car, I think the top NASCAR guys would do ok

I think you aren't giving NASCAR drivers enough credit. Given some practice time and a competitive car, I think the top NASCAR guys would do ok

agree.

Imagine a F1 driver on a NASCAR? would be terrible too. drivers used with tons of tecnology and high responsive cars dealing with a monster with 800HP on Talladega with other 32 cars...

each type of race deserve it´s respect...

agree.

Imagine a F1 driver on a NASCAR? would be terrible too. drivers used with tons of tecnology and high responsive cars dealing with a monster with 800HP on Talladega with other 32 cars...

The truly great drivers can adapt to any type of car. Mario Andretti won the Indy 500, Daytona 500 and the F1 world championship as well as the 12 hours of Sebring, top 5 in Le Mans and more wins on dirt than can be counted, Sprint Car King Steve Kinser won an IROC race at Talladega, Nigel Mansel came from F1 and won the Indy car championship his first season, Richard Petty even won a few Drag races.

agree.

Juan Pablo Montoya has run NASCAR since 2006, 1 Nationwide win (Oval), 2 Sprint Cup wins (both on road courses)

Juan Pablo Montoya has run NASCAR since 2006, 1 Nationwide win (Oval), 2 Sprint Cup wins (both on road courses)

He's also on the record stating that a stock car is harder to drive than an F1 car. Big car, big engine, very little brakes. Especially coming from a little car, lots of wing, LOTS of brakes.

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard of this new Formula E series that is set to begin this September, looks interesting.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/

I've been following it and find it intriguing. The driver lineup is very solid, with a lot of guys having F1 experience. Spec cars for the first year, along with a bit of a gimmicky twitter-vote-push-to-pass thing, but I think its just to draw in fans and wont have a major impact on the race. Another flaw is changing cars mid-race, I'm not sure why they cant do 2 sprint races of less time compared to 1 feature race.I'm more excited for the second season when car development is unfrozen and other manufacturers can join in, to help advance the technology

I've been following it and find it intriguing. The driver lineup is very solid, with a lot of guys having F1 experience. Spec cars for the first year, along with a bit of a gimmicky twitter-vote-push-to-pass thing, but I think its just to draw in fans and wont have a major impact on the race. Another flaw is changing cars mid-race, I'm not sure why they cant do 2 sprint races of less time compared to 1 feature race.I'm more excited for the second season when car development is unfrozen and other manufacturers can join in, to help advance the technology

I'd like to see them keep the spec cars for a few seasons until they get the series off the ground and work out some of the bugs in the format. If one or two teams start to get too dominant early it could kill the series before it gets a chance. If it succeeds it could really help spur the development of more practical electric cars for the general public, biggest drawback right now is range.

I'd like to see them keep the spec cars for a few seasons until they get the series off the ground and work out some of the bugs in the format. If one or two teams start to get too dominant early it could kill the series before it gets a chance. If it succeeds it could really help spur the development of more practical electric cars for the general public, biggest drawback right now is range.

that's very true that a dominant team may hurt the spectacle a bit, but the development would help road cars and advancement of the technology. Plus if the series id to survive financially, it needs manufacturers joining in, and that will only come from the tech being road-car relevant and developable

• 2 weeks later...

So tony Stewart struck a kid last night at a dirt track killing him. I thought it should be posted here.

I caution aanyone who watches this video its pretty graphic

Watch "Tony Stewart hits and KILLS 17-year-old driver Ke" on YouTube

Tony Stewart hits and KILLS 17-year-old driver Ke: http://youtu.be/mtlTJAWFyRY

There's a whole thread about the incident. How could you miss it?

Or did you just want to be the person to post footage of someone being killed?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It would be a real joke if he did employ someone who can only turn left. Open wheel racing is so much different than Nascar, especially with how the power units and energy recovery systems are employed. He needs Alex Rossi as a young American who can get some patriot juices flowing as well as an experienced F1 guy who can help with car development.

Montreal was one of the best F1 races in many years, wow. I think Perez went a little left off line. If he was having rear brake issues like the radio said, he would have put the brake bias forward, which requires you to cut corners a little as the car will understeer. I don't think Massa expected this, hopefully both are ok

Jeff Gordon drove an F1 car and was near field pace his first time every driving and F1 car.

A fast driver is a fast driver and te ignorance is strong in this post.

Jeff Gordon drove an F1 car and was near field pace his first time every driving and F1 car.

A fast driver is a fast driver and te ignorance is strong in this post.

Bringing up a post from a year ago just to talk about jeff gordon lol

Looked it up and his lap time was 6 seconds slower than the pole lap of the grand prix that year. Teams spend millions to shave .1 off a lap time. Niko Hulkenberg has been stopped from getting better drives because his size makes him approximately .4 seconds slower per lap, that he makes up for with skill. 7 seconds is an eternity in F1

Looked it up and his lap time was 6 seconds slower than the pole lap of the grand prix that year. Teams spend millions to shave .1 off a lap time. Niko Hulkenberg has been stopped from getting better drives because his size makes him approximately .4 seconds slower per lap, that he makes up for with skill. 7 seconds is an eternity in F1

That was his first time driving the car... You're ignorant if you don't think with more seat time that a driver like Jeff Gordon would improve.

Tony Stewart also drove Lewis Hamilton's car at Watkin's Glen and set some impressive times as well.

A great driver will adapt in any vehicle.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2015 at 1:01 AM, canucklax said:

In all fairness, it was his first time in that type of car and probably the first time on that road course, it was an exhibition so he wasn't going to be going all out, and the Williams team probably put a very stable driver friendly set-up on the car

Archived