The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Local Hiking

Lychees

Just looking for some spots to hike/walk for all sorts of people. I recently had the chance to do Lighthouse Park in West Van which is really nice. Anyone have any non-steep-ish walks/hikes to do in the lower mainland?

Also does anyone know if the Chief hike is open by now or if it's still closed due to the early season?

I did the chief earlier this year. Great view. Diez Vistas is a nice hike. A lil tough at the beginning but it levels out, many rewarding views.The Coquitlam area has minnekhata hikes. Any walks/hikes around bunzten lake in anmore/port moody are great. Thats where the Diez Vistas is, I recommend that.

I hike the Baden-Powell regularly. The whole trail extends from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay (45 Km) but it splits into sections; Deep Cove - Lynn Canyon, Lynn Canyon - Grouse Mountain, Grouse Mountain - Horseshoe Bay. The popular Quarry rock, Lynn canyon suspension bridge are part of this trail. It's open year-round and Deep Cove - Grouse Mountain has a good mix of hills and level grade. Grouse to Horseshoe is quite the ascent though.

Check this website out for local trails: http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/

Anyone here ever do the Westcoast Trail? Is it worth the $100+ fee? It's been listed as one of the best trails out there but...that's a lot of money for a hike, no?

Well I'm doing it end of August.

And in case you're misinformed, it's not a casual hike. It's on average a week long venture, and is a little more challenging than a nice brisk walk in the woods.

Anyone here ever do the Westcoast Trail? Is it worth the $100+ fee? It's been listed as one of the best trails out there but...that's a lot of money for a hike, no?

I've done it twice. Totally worth it. It's not your typical hike, that's for sure. You get to see some incredible things that truly make you appreciate the part of the world that we live in. If you go, go late august/early September. The first time I went was in July, and we got hit with a friggin monsoon right off the bat. Completely soaked for the entire trip. It wasn't much fun. The second time was in early September and we had great weather every day. It was incredible.

Pack light and don't be scared of heights.

I've done it before, it's a really nice hike, not for the casual hike though. I went mid august and it was a beaut of a hike.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! If anyone hasn't done the Lions yet I'd recommend it, real nice day-hike

Has anybody ever hiked Crown Mountain? Planning on doing it for the first time this summer. I've seen all of the pics and read up on it as much as I could but if you guys can share some personal experiences that'd be great.

Well I'm doing it end of August.

And in case you're misinformed, it's not a casual hike. It's on average a week long venture, and is a little more challenging than a nice brisk walk in the woods.

Nope, fully aware that it's supposed to be quite a grueling hike and not for beginners. I'm mostly just curious about it.

Did it a few years ago. Definitely worth it. Amazing variety of terian from cable car crossings, beach walks to rain forest. Plus you can get a burger, beer and salmon or crab dinner along the trail in two places, how awesome is that?

That being said if you want to avoid the crowds and the trail fee consider the North Coast Trail. Even more challenging terrian and more mude than the WCT but some beautiful beaches. If you want a shorter easier multi-day hike you could also just do the Cape Scott Trail, which leads to the nicest beach I've been too in Canada and includes some interesting historic artifacts along the way.

Archived