The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com Article] Horvat, Gaunce trim down with hopes to make Canucks roster

Time will tell but if Horvat gets the 8 to 10 minutes a game to start the season it will be because he has outplayed one of;

Richardson/Mathias/Vey/Hansen/Higgins or even Dorsett.

It would be reasonable to expect those minutes to go up in the second half of the season when he gets PP and PK time and maybe third line minutes.

I think he would do as well as Monahan did for Calgary last year if given the chance.

Also any 18 or 19 year old with speed and talent or size and talent are prospective first liners, some have more of a chance but all have shot.

Which he has yet to do in his career.

If he already dominated last season, we'd have legitimate reasons to keep him around if he's borderline.

But he hasn't dominated juniors yet. So if he's borderline, we will probably send him down so that he can develop his offense - this will probably be better for his development in the long run.

I think for Bo to stick around, he's got to impress and prove he's the best player for one of the top 9 positions in pre-season before opening night. If he's in the lineup opening night, that means we moved a roster player to keep him up and he will most likely stay unless he screws up royally in the first 9 games.

4th line minutes is not good. That's about 5-10 minutes of ice-time if we're going to play him, play him 3rd line minutes. If he's the centre getting the least amount of ice-time he will not become anything more than a bottom 6 centre.

Get him to junior, let him hit around 90-100 points, Domi hit 93 points. This guy's offensive isn't where it should be, let him get the 9 games so he can see his offensive game isn't there yet. Then send him down, get him some mental goals (should be 90-100 points in a full OHL season).

Max Domi might be in London again and he was drafted just 3 spots below Horvat, Nurse is going down too. It isn't a big deal.

PPG in his draft year, followed up with 74 pts in 54 games seems domininant enough. Even if he posts like 120 points in the O next year, would anybody even care? When was the last time anyone was enamoured with some 20 year old overager posting those types of numbers?

There's also the possibility that spending too much time in junior can stunt your growth. Being able to just hotdog your way around 16 year old defensemen hardly improves his offensive skills. Shooting 5-hole on goalies still working in reflex, positioning and still growing certainly won't be helping Horvat to improve on his fundamentals.

Practicing against someone like former Vezina winner, Olympic goalie Ryan Miller will definitely sharper his skills. Seeing how Hansen and Burrows tenaciously forechecking and then skating as quick as they can to backcheck will help Bo Horvat to understand the effort/strength required to be defensively reliable. Having Henrik and Daniel to take Horvat under their wing to show them little tricks they do in the offensive zone will open his mind to things he may have not thought about before.

If the Canucks still had someone like Hodgson who can transition to the front lines after guys like Horvat and Gaunce have spent a couple of years in the AHL, then by all means keep them in the OHL or AHL. Unfortunately, there is no cavalry over the hill (short of Kassian, Jensen breaking out or some trade). Currently, prospects like Gaunce and Horvat has time to be in the NHL, learning their trade without being forced to shoulder all the responsibilities. The Twins, Burrows, Vrbata will be the ones expected to carry the team offensively.

Both Henrik and Daniel fully developed in the NHL by having Crawford throwing them in a variety of situations. The moment many realized that they belonged was when the Canucks were killing off a 2-men penalty and I believe they were protecting a lead too. You know what the coaches did? They send out both Henrik and Daniel (rookies at the time) and had I believe it was Murray Baron as the defenseman on the PK. Felt like an eternity, but the Canucks were successful. Horvat needs something similar.

PPG in his draft year, followed up with 74 pts in 54 games seems domininant enough. Even if he posts like 120 points in the O next year, would anybody even care? When was the last time anyone was enamoured with some 20 year old overager posting those types of numbers?

There's also the possibility that spending too much time in junior can stunt your growth. Being able to just hotdog your way around 16 year old defensemen hardly improves his offensive skills. Shooting 5-hole on goalies still working in reflex, positioning and still growing certainly won't be helping Horvat to improve on his fundamentals.

Practicing against someone like former Vezina winner, Olympic goalie Ryan Miller will definitely sharper his skills. Seeing how Hansen and Burrows tenaciously forechecking and then skating as quick as they can to backcheck will help Bo Horvat to understand the effort/strength required to be defensively reliable. Having Henrik and Daniel to take Horvat under their wing to show them little tricks they do in the offensive zone will open his mind to things he may have not thought about before.

If the Canucks still had someone like Hodgson who can transition to the front lines after guys like Horvat and Gaunce have spent a couple of years in the AHL, then by all means keep them in the OHL or AHL. Unfortunately, there is no cavalry over the hill (short of Kassian, Jensen breaking out or some trade). Currently, prospects like Gaunce and Horvat has time to be in the NHL, learning their trade without being forced to shoulder all the responsibilities. The Twins, Burrows, Vrbata will be the ones expected to carry the team offensively.

Both Henrik and Daniel fully developed in the NHL by having Crawford throwing them in a variety of situations. The moment many realized that they belonged was when the Canucks were killing off a 2-men penalty and I believe they were protecting a lead too. You know what the coaches did? They send out both Henrik and Daniel (rookies at the time) and had I believe it was Murray Baron as the defenseman on the PK. Felt like an eternity, but the Canucks were successful. Horvat needs something similar.

He's turning 20 at the end of the regular season/beginning of the playoffs.

Scott Laughton went down to the OHL for another year aswell. Nick Ritchie had more goals than Bo Horvat this season, Horvat has to do better than that. He needed to get more goals than Gaunce, Rychel, Fabbri. I expect more than that from him, give him 9 games sure but he needs to improve his scoring. You're underestimating the OHL, alot of them are 17-19 year olds and Horvat also plays against the top competition which also means top defencemans.

What do we do with Horvat when he's eligible for the AHL? Leave him on the 4th line? Send him down?

Guest Dasein

74 in 54 is nowhere close to dominance. Horvat's offense definitely needs more grooming. If he posts 120, it would be a huge success since he would now be a legitimate top line center prospect whereas right now his ceiling is a 2nd line center due to his offensive ceiling. And realistically, Horvat wouldn't even get close to 120.

Bottom line, if he's not ready, he's sent down. I don't think you disagree with that. That's all I'm saying.

Horvat still has plenty to develop and learn if he's sent down. It's not going to be the end of the world.

Guest Dasein

There's too many people who don't understand where Horvat is in his development right now..

He is not too good for the juniors. He still has and can learn lots from spending his final junior year in the OHL.

Not SEL, not on the press box in the NHL nor on the 4th line - it's the Canucks top 9 or OHL.

Guest Dasein

Horvat was ready last year, same with Shinkaruk and Gaunce.

And we wasted them away in JR for another year.

And look where that got us?

None of those three were ready last year - Horvat only had 74 in 54, Shinkaruk spent half the season rehabbing from a surgery, and Gaunce also posted a moderate 72 in 65.

It got us Virtanen.

74 in 54 is nowhere close to dominance. Horvat's offense definitely needs more grooming. If he posts 120, it would be a huge success since he would now be a legitimate top line center prospect whereas right now his ceiling is a 2nd line center due to his offensive ceiling. And realistically, Horvat wouldn't even get close to 120.

Bottom line, if he's not ready, he's sent down. I don't think you disagree with that. That's all I'm saying.

Horvat still has plenty to develop and learn if he's sent down. It's not going to be the end of the world.

Horvat is not a Number #1 Centre in any level of play. He's a #2 guy who can shut down the offense of another team. He spends his time blocking shots instead of worrying about scoring.... Until this fan base realizes that we'll be expecting too much of him.

Guest Dasein

Horvat is not a Number #1 Centre in any level of play. He's a #2 guy who can shut down the offense of another team. He spends his time blocking shots instead of worrying about scoring.... Until this fan base realizes that we'll be expecting too much of him.

Did you even read what I said..

If he gets 120 he has potential to be a top line center - and I said that is not going to happen in real life.

And it's pretty clear I get that his ceiling is a #2 guy...

If he posts 120, it would be a huge success since he would now be a legitimate top line center prospect whereas right now his ceiling is a 2nd line center due to his offensive ceiling. And realistically, Horvat wouldn't even get close to 120.

He's turning 20 at the end of the regular season/beginning of the playoffs.

Scott Laughton went down to the OHL for another year aswell. Nick Ritchie had more goals than Bo Horvat this season, Horvat has to do better than that. He needed to get more goals than Gaunce, Rychel, Fabbri. I expect more than that from him, give him 9 games sure but he needs to improve his scoring. You're underestimating the OHL, alot of them are 17-19 year olds and Horvat also plays against the top competition which also means top defencemans.

What do we do with Horvat when he's eligible for the AHL? Leave him on the 4th line? Send him down?

He'll still be a man among boys.

Even if he's against the top pairing defensemen in the NHL, they're still worse than any regular bottom pairing on any NHL team.

I would prefer he play 3rd/4th line duties on the Canucks. With spot 2nd PP unit and maybe used for the PK as well. The season after, perhaps centering the 3rd line and regular PP and PK duties.

All while training with one of the best support staffs in the NHL.... which are always better than those provided in junior.

I'm just saying that there's no substitution to NHL experience. Sometimes you just gotta take the plunge.

Using a school analogy.... you don't repeat your 12th grade just because you might not be ready to go directly to university. You go to post-secondary and tough it out. Preferably should have went to college instead (AHL), but since you can't, tough luck.

Horvat is not a snipper, his game is possesion and take aways, great in the corners and faceoffs. Plays the short pass really well and creates chances off his take aways.

If he did up his offence more than it will up itself with maturity that would be just bonus with him.

50 to 70 point Seilke nominee is my hope.

He is Monahan last year and could do as well with third line minutes and PP time

Guest Dasein

Even if he's against the top pairing defensemen in the NHL, they're still worse than any regular bottom pairing on any NHL team.

I would prefer he play 3rd/4th line duties on the Canucks. With spot 2nd PP unit and maybe used for the PK as well. The season after, perhaps centering the 3rd line and regular PP and PK duties.

All while training with one of the best support staffs in the NHL.... which are always better than those provided in junior.

I'm just saying that there's no substitution to NHL experience. Sometimes you just gotta take the plunge.

Using a school analogy.... you don't repeat your 12th grade just because you might not be ready to go directly to university. You go to post-secondary and tough it out. Preferably should have went to college instead (AHL), but since you can't, tough luck.

That implies you've mastered the 12th grade material.

Which Horvat hasn't.

Anyways, the good thing is, Benning's said that if he's ready and beats out a veteran in camp, he'll move a player to keep Horvat or any other prospect up with the Canucks. If he's not ready, then that means there's still more for Bo to learn in the OHL. He has yet to dominate that league and if he's not ready yet, then there's still a lot he can learn.

Bo hasn't proven anything so far that indicates that he is too good for the OHL. So if he's not ready, OHL is still a place where Bo can develop and work on his game.

Horvat is not a snipper, his game is possesion and take aways, great in the corners and faceoffs. Plays the short pass really well and creates chances off his take aways.

If he did up his offence more than it will up itself with maturity that would be just bonus with him.

50 to 70 point Seilke nominee is my hope.

He is Monahan last year and could do as well with third line minutes and PP time

Bo has to beat out the depth that Benning has acquired, which Monahan didn't have to do. But if he has a camp like Monahan's, he probably does have a good chance of sticking around - I wouldn't mind that at all.

As long as Bo is a top 9 player for us in camp, I'm happy with him sticking with the team. But if he can't beat the veterans out, then we send him down. It's up to him, really.

It'd be great if he can make the jump this year, but I'm not expecting it out of him.

Horvat doesn't make much progress if he's facing a league that he isn't ready for. Horvat isn't ready, if he was he would have dominated the OHL which he has yet to done. It's not hard to understand, if I am JB I'm not bringing a player who isn't ready for the NHL and has shown no signs of it.

If he's playing on the PK and PP he's getting more than just 8-10 mins a night.

We're developing him to be a top 6 player not a bottom 6 one. His offence needs work it won't be getting worked on in the NHL. It's simple. We can't start his development in pro on the 4th line of a NHL team.

Horvat was ready last year, same with Shinkaruk and Gaunce.

And we wasted them away in JR for another year.

And look where that got us?

You must love how the Oil develop their prospects .. 'rush-em and wreck-em style'

Archived