The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No ‘rainbow families’: Canadian fertility clinic bans patient from using non-white donor

key2thecup

No ‘rainbow families’: Canadian fertility clinic bans patient from using non-white donor

ivf.si.jpg

A single Canadian woman, who sought in vitro fertilization in the only local clinic in Calgary, has been prohibited from using donors of a different ethnicity to avoid “creating rainbow families.”

The 38-year old woman, who requested to use only her first name, Catherine, told the Calgary Herald that “everything went downhill” when last March she learned that she could only use sperm, eggs or embryos from donors who were white, like her.

“I was absolutely floored,” she told the newspaper.

When asked why she did not want to choose somebody of her own “cultural background,”

Catherine said there were many reasons why.

One of the main reasons was that after she picked out donors who met required standards, had a good health history and a compatible blood type, a list of potential biological fathers for her child was narrowed-down to about 20 Caucasian donors. Moreover, many of them had already been used by several other patients in the area.

“Frankly, it’s appalling how many people have the same donors, probably because of this policy,” she said. “A friend of mine just went through this process and used the donor that I would have picked.”

Despite that, Dr. Calvin Greene The Regional Fertility Program (RFP), where Catherine went to undergo in vitro fertilization, is firm on his position.

Greene stressed that the RFP would deny couples or singles who insist on using donors of a different ethnicity under a policy in operation since the center was opened in the 1980’s.

“I’m not sure that we should be creating rainbow families just because some single woman decides that that’s what she wants,” Dr. Calvin Greene, the clinic’s administrative director told the Herald. “That’s her prerogative, but that’s not her prerogative in our clinic.”

Indeed, the statement on the RFP’s webpage says:

donor1.jpg

Screenshot from www.regionalfertilityprogram.ca

Also, doctors at the clinic, Greene said, feel “a child of an ethnic background should have the ability to be able to identify with their ethnic roots.” He added patients should have a “cultural connection” to their donors.

To support his argument, Greene said that the rules at the RFP follow the spirit of Canada’s Assisted Human Reproduction Act, under which doctors should place priority on the well being of potential children and refrain from producing “designer” babies.

“She needs to look harder, because I can tell you, reasonable people can easily find a suitable donor,” Greene argued and added that there are lots of quality Caucasian donors available.

Greene insists that given today’s multicultural society and demographic predictions that Caucasian people will soon be the minority in many Canadian cities, “there is no way to dictate what a given family should look like.”

As for Catherine, unlike many patients, she says she is not all that concerned about the color of her potential child’s skin. More important is the personality and health history, her child might inherit from its biological father. Considering other ethnicities significantly increased her options, she told the Herald.

The Regional Fertility Program (RFP), where Catherine went to have in vitro fertilization, is the only fertility clinic in Calgary. This means that Catherine must drive to Edmonton or fly to Vancouver to seek alternative solutions.

http://rt.com/news/175936-canada-fertility-woman-donor/

Don't call me white, Don't call me white

The connotations wearing my nerves thin
Could it be semantics generating the mess we're in?
I understand that language breeds stereotype
But what's the explanation for the malice, for the spite?

I wasn't brought here, I was born
Circumsized, categorized, allegiance sworn,
Does this mean I have to take such shit
For being fairskinned? No!
I ain't a part of no conspiracy,
I'm just you're average Joe.

Represents everything I hate,
The soap shoved in your mouth to cleanse the mind
The vast majority of sheep
A buttoned collar, starched and bleached
Constricting veins, the blood flow to the brain slows
They're so fuckin' ordinary white

We're better off this way
Say what you're gonna say
So go ahead and label me
An asshole cause I can
Accept responsibility, for what I've done
But not for who I am

Mike B

I'm confused even after reading the article.. Why is she not allowed?

At first I thought it meant no gay families from the rainbow reference..

" It is the practice of the regional fertility program not to permit the use of a sperm donor that would result in a future child appearing racially different than the recipient or the recipients partner".

Anti-racist = anti-white! Why is it that Africa is only for Africans, yet white countries like Canada are for everybody?!

Oh, white supremacists :lol:

Australia had a "white australia" policy from federation until the latter part of the 20th century.

The origins of the 'White Australia' policy can be traced to the 1850s. White miners' resentment towards industrious Chinese diggers culminated in violence on the Buckland River in Victoria, and at Lambing Flat (now Young) in New South Wales. The governments of these two colonies introduced restrictions on Chinese immigration.

Later, it was the turn of hard-working indentured labourers from the South Sea Islands of the Pacific (known as 'Kanakas') in northern Queensland. Factory workers in the south became vehemently opposed to all forms of immigration which might threaten their jobs; particularly by non-white people who they thought would accept a lower standard of living and work for lower wages.

In a lot of western countries they now bring in people to do the jobs " white" people do not want to do and expect them to accept a lower standard of living and to work for lower wages , how the worm has turned.

Australia had a "white australia" policy from federation until the latter part of the 20th century.

The origins of the 'White Australia' policy can be traced to the 1850s. White miners' resentment towards industrious Chinese diggers culminated in violence on the Buckland River in Victoria, and at Lambing Flat (now Young) in New South Wales. The governments of these two colonies introduced restrictions on Chinese immigration.

Later, it was the turn of hard-working indentured labourers from the South Sea Islands of the Pacific (known as 'Kanakas') in northern Queensland. Factory workers in the south became vehemently opposed to all forms of immigration which might threaten their jobs; particularly by non-white people who they thought would accept a lower standard of living and work for lower wages.

In a lot of western countries they now bring in people to do the jobs " white" people do not want to do and expect them to accept a lower standard of living and to work for lower wages , how the worm has turned.

I'm pretty sure most countries have had policies like that at some point. Sad part of history.

good, I'm glad. Chinese have a lot of only Chinese places in richmond. yet everyone else is racist

What?

good, I'm glad. Chinese have a lot of only Chinese places in richmond. yet everyone else is racist

What? lol..... I grew up/lived in Richmond up until a few years, I've never heard of a business being/serving Chinese only.

you mean china town :bigblush:

Edit: On the other hand is it racism if your from that race?

I.E a Japanese person calling their Japanese friend a Kamikaze. I'm part Japanese so before you call me a racist.

Has nothing to do with the topic but i want to know what other people think

Archived