The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Fantasy Keeper League - looking for interest

wallstreetamigo

Good luck with this one, I am out, but wanted to post just to mention that in another 'new' league it took three months to draft full keeper league rosters with minor leagues as well, and at the end of that draft, the leagues thread went stillborn. I wish you all the best of luck, but with less than 30 days till season opening i think your gonna need it.

Good luck with this one, I am out, but wanted to post just to mention that in another 'new' league it took three months to draft full keeper league rosters with minor leagues as well, and at the end of that draft, the leagues thread went stillborn. I wish you all the best of luck, but with less than 30 days till season opening i think your gonna need it.

its fantrax ..i guess the draft there went faster ...just have done 2 drafts in the past 2 weeks

Here are some of the specific rules and info on the league. More will be added soon.

There is space for more GM's if anyone is interested. We are at 16 teams atm. PM me your email address and top 3 teams of the ones left and I will send you an invite to fantrax.

1. GENERAL LEAGUE INFO
1.1 - League Executive
Commissioner - WSA
Player Agent - WSA, TBD
Waiver Manager - WSA, TBD
Trade Manager - WSA, TBD
As you can see, at the moment WSA is the man.....lol. I am hoping to add some other players into key roles though.
1.2 - Teams and GM's
Anaheim - Plum
Boston - Dral
Buffalo - Bombastik der Teutone
Calgary - keslerific
Chicago - WSA
Colorado - Mimerez
Detroit - Chief Smokeabowl
Los Angeles - kj29
Montreal - The_Canuck
Ottawa - alltoowrong
Philadelphia - Buddha's Hand
Pittsburgh - somethingvery
Vancouver - Tearloch
Washington - Vancanwincup
TBD - scs
TBD -
There is room for more teams if any potential GM's are interested. Forward me your email address and I will send you a fantrax invite.
1.3 - GM REP
I will be keeping track of GM rep over time. Positive actions such as aggressively managing your team to win, participating actively in the league, and drafting will increase your GM rep. Negative actions such as flipping recently acqired players, asking players to waive their NMC/NTC's regularly, and trading players once they have agreed to a contract extension will negatively influence your GM rep.
A strong GM Rep will help you attract free agents at better contract terms and will make players more likely to waive their no movement clauses to join your club.
A poor GM Rep will do the opposite.

This is something that will make this league very unique and fun for all of us as it adds an element that rewards the most committed GM's. It is not designed to punish GM's but to reward those who commit fully to the league.

2. SCORING STRUCTURE
2.1 - Point System
The scoring structure of the league is available on fantrax. To summarize:
Skaters
Goals (G) - 4
Assists (A) - 4
Special Teams Points (STP) - 1
Game Winning Goals (GWG) - 2
Hits (Hit) - 0.25
Blocks (Blk) - 0.75
Penalty Minutes (PIM) - 0.1
Goalies
Wins (W) - 4
Overtime Wins (OW) - 1
Saves (SV) - 0.1
Shutouts (SHO) - 2
Goals (G) - 4
Assists (A) - 4
*Please note that this is open to revision prior to the initial draft.
3. ROSTER MANAGEMENT AND LIMITS
3.1 - Active Rosters
This league uses the 5 main positions, C-LW-RW-D-and G. All teams must have 4 centers, 4 left wingers, 4 right wingers, 6 defencemen, and 2 goalies on their active roster. Fantrax player eligibility will be used to determine the positions a player can play.
The NHL roster will consist of a maximum of 23 players. Teams are limited to a maximum of 14 forwards, 8 defencemen, and 2 goalies up to a total maximum of 23 players.
The active roster (those playing and accumulating points at any given time) is limited to 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 2 goalies (a starter and a backup). The remaining three players are in reserve and can be rotated into the lineup at any regular lineup change.
3.2 - Salary Cap
The salary cap is based on the real NHL cap. For 2014-15 it is a floor of 51 million and a ceiling of 69 million. During the season no transaction will be completed that would make a roster fall below or go above these limits.
During the offseason teams may spend over the salary cap but must be cap compliant prior to the start of the regular season or the roster will be illegal and accumulate no points until it is fixed.
3.3 - Wade Redden Rule
Any players who are kept in your minor leagues are eligible to have $1 million of their cap hit not count towards the NHL salary cap. The player does not count against your active roster limit of players but anything over the $1 million counts towards your NHL cap which will be reduced accordingly on fantrax until the player is traded, promoted back to your NHL roster, or otherwise removed from your minors.
Players on ELC contracts and/or who are designated as minor league players by fantrax (green flag by their name) are exempt from this requirement.
This is designed to limit the amount of NHL players being hoarded in the minor league system to maintain the integrity of a league with less than 30 teams.
3.4 - Goalie-Specific Rules
Goalies can be problematic in leagues that have less than 30 teams. Teams that have two real life starting goaltenders have a significant advantage particularly in the playoffs. In this league goalies will be managed to avoid this as much as possible while trying to make it as realistic as possible.
Starting Goalies
Teams are only permitted to have one starting goaltender on their roster. This has come about as a result of 2 starters being problematic in other leagues we have been in. To maintain as much reality with goaltending as possible there will be a cap on total goalie games for the season for which you can gain points (I am currently thinking exactly 82 games but am currently getting feedback on this). There is no penalty for going over other than there will be no goalie points accumulated after your goalies have contributed the max combined total of goalie games played.
On fantrax goalie games only count if the goalie plays in the game. Backup goalies dressed for a game and in the limeup in real life who do not play in that game will not count a game played on fantrax.
The following is a list of all goalies considered starting goalies in the league. You may only select ONE of these goalies in the initial draft. Drafting more than one to trade them is not permitted. If you do pick a second it could result in losing that pick until the end of the draft.
Any goalies not on this list when the draft starts are eligible to be selected as your second goaltender.
ANA - Undetermined - no starter identified
ARZ - Mike Smith
CAL - Jonas Hiller
EDM - Undetermined - no starter identified
LAK - Jonathan Quick
SJS - Antti Niemi
VAN - Ryan Miller
CHI - Corey Crawford
COL - Semyon Varlamov
DAL - Kari Lehtonen
MIN - Niklas Backstrom
NAS - Pekka Rinne
STL - Brian Elliot
WPG - Ondrej Pavelac
BOS - Tukkas Rask
BUF - Undetermined - no starter identified
DET - Jimmy Howard
FLA - Roberto Luongo
MON - Carey Price
OTT - Craig Anderson
TBL - Ben Bishop
TOR - Jonathan Bernier
CAR - Cam Ward
CLB - Sergei Bobrovsky
NJD - Cory Schneider
NYI - Jaroslav Halak
NYR - Henrik Lundquist
PHI - Steve Mason
PIT - Marc-Andre Fleury
WAS - Braden Holtby
This list is subject to possible changes prior to the draft. The list will be updated here so check back to make sure.
4. DRAFTS
4.1 - Initial Draft
The initial draft will be a minimum of 23 rounds to a maximum of 30 rounds. I reserve the right to alter this if necessary. I am hoping we can get the 30 done so all teams have a solid start with some prospects as well s their active roster but it will take cooperation and commitment to using the rank players function on fantrax so that the draft moves very quickly.
Players drafted in the initial draft will have their real life 2014-15 cap hit. Their contract term will be their real life term as well and capgeek will be used for all contract information (including any NTC/NMC, ELC contract status, etc.).
I will create a master spreadsheet which will have each team on it that will include all players on your team, the year their contract will expire, and their status at expiry (UFA, UFA+35, or RFA). The year listed is the last year of their contract.
Any players not initially drafted will enter the free agent pool. Once there, to sign them GM's follow the rules for free agent signings listed below and deal with a player agent for the negotiations.
Draft picks in the initial draft may be traded but the league reserves the right to cancel any transaction that can be seen as one GM colluding with another to stack a team with picks.
4.2 - Annual NHL Entry Draft
Each year one week prior to the real life NHL entry draft, our league will hold our own entry draft for all draft-eligible players. We will have 3 rounds of picks in that draft. Entry draft pick for the current year and one year forward may be traded (ie. picks for the 2015 and 2016 entry drafts can be traded during the 2014-15 season.
5. PLAYER MOVEMENT
5.1 - Trading
An unlimited amount of trades are permitted up until the NHL trade deadline. From the trade deadline until the end of the playoffs no trades are permitted.
Teams must have cap space and roster spots available for trades to be processed. If the trade makes the roster illegal in any way it will either not be processed or will be immediately reversed.
Traded players must be placed in the same area - either on the NHL roster or in the minor leagues - as they are at on their original team at the time of the trade. So, for example, any player on an NHL roster must be placed on your NHL roster for a trade to be processed. They cannot be added to the minors.
*Please note that the league reserves the right to veto any trade. This is not a right I ever want to use and it will only be invoked in the most extreme circumstances. There is no buyer's remorse in the equation. If you regret a trade you agreed to you are still bound to it. That is not a reason for the league to veto.
Once both GM's have agreed to a trade it is considered final (even if it has not yet been processed by league officials) and will not be reversed for any reason other than the above.
5.2 - Free Agency
Any players who are not claimed in the initial draft will enter the free agent pool. To sign a free agent, teams must have the appropriate cap space and roster spot available at the time of signing. Free agents that are not waiver eligible can be placed in your minors. Waiver eligible players cannot. They must be signed to your active roster. The maximum term you can sign an unrestricted or restricted free agent for is 7 years. For players currently on an entry level contract in real life, the maximum you can sign them for is whatever is remaining on their current real life deal. For example, if a player has this year and next year left on their real life ELC, the most you can sign them for in our league is two years. The agent will always double check the status of these players and advise you of any restrictions in place on contract offers. Entry level contracts are also subject to a maximum cap hit of 3.775 million which is as per the real NHL CBA.
The process for signing a free agent is as follows:
- send a PM to a player agent expressing your interest. (currently wallstreetamigo is the player agent for all but I am hoping to add a few more).
- Title the PM clearly as follows: Free Agent Signing - Your Team Name - Player Name
This makes it much easier for me to instantly see offers you are making and to respond quickly. In your PM you can open negotiations with an offer or you can inquire as to what salary and contract demands a player may have. Not all players will be specific but the role of the agent is to work with you to find reasonable deals for players.
- negotiate with the agent until either a deal is finalized or talks break down on one or both sides if a deal cannot be reached that is mutually acceptable.
On that note, players will ask for contract values that are appropriate based on their value in our league. So, as an example, just because a star player is in the free agent pool it does not mean they will sign for league minimum simply to join a team.
To maintain the integrity of the league salary structure, players will simply choose not to sign a contract rather than sign for under reasonable value. And low ball unreasonable offers to free agents will affect both your GM reputation and a players willingness to further negotiate a contract.
For example, if a top line productive player has a real life cap hit of 6 million and you offer them 575k (league minimum) they will very likely simply break off negotiations and refuse to sign with you at that time. They may refuse to deal with you again in severe enough cases so be cautious. If you offer them 3 or 4 million they may consider negotiating and taking a bit of a discount.
On the flip side, players with inflated real life contracts who are not as valuable in our league will consider lower contracts. A best practice is to ask players for a range of what they are looking for in term and dollars. Most players will provide a range.
Looking at a player's real life situation contract-wise is a good place to start. Be reasonable. That does not mean you cannot start lower or anything. Just be realistic in how low you go and the reasons why you are offering what you are.
This is in place to maintain the salary integrity across the league in the short and long term. Agents will do their best to manage expectations fairly and in cases of multiple teams trying to sign the same player it will come down to any number of factors, not only money or term. You will win some and you will lose some, as they say.

This system of free agency is a lot more work than a classic bidding system but makes for a much more rewarding GM experience in my opinion. You get to really be a GM this way.

i l lask here again

i there a maximum nhl games played rule for the minors? forwards/goalie?

There is no hard rule about players being in your minors other than waiver eligible ones have to clear waivers to be sent there and there is a Wade Redden rule in effect regarding how salaries over 1 million for waiver eligible players are handled (players on ELC nd minor eligible players are exempt from this rule until they do not meet the criteria any longer). Hoarding NHL players in the minors is not going to really be possible under these rules.

Players 24 and younger with less than 100 NHL games (skaters) and 50 NHL games (goalies) are waiver exempt until they no longer qualify based on their real life games played/age. Much like we did it before in the old WTN league.

The draft for our league starts tomorrow. The draft order is as follows:

****DRAFT ORDER****
1 Detroit (Chief Smokeabowl)
2 Philadelphia (Buddha's Hand)
3 Ottawa (alltoowrong)
4 Montreal (The_Canuck)
5 Pittsburgh (somethingvery)
6 Washington (VancanwinCup)
7 Chicago Blackhawks (WSA)
8 Anaheim (Plum)
9 Los Angeles (kj29)
10 Colorado (Mimerez)
11 Boston (Dral)
12 St. Louis Blues (League run atm)
13 Vancouver (tearloch)
14 New York Islanders (scs)
15 Buffalo (Bombastik der Teutone)
16 Calgary (keslerific)
Specific draft rules
1. We are planning on 30 rounds including 23 NHL roster players and 7 minor league players.
2. The time limit for each pick is 30 min to start (subject to change at any time)
3. The hours of the draft are yet to be determined. We are talking about that now.
4. Initial draft picks may be traded although caution should be exercised when doing so. You can cripple your team fast with a couple of bad trades.
5. The use of player ranking lists on fantrax by all GM's will greatly speed up the draft. If you are not going to be around make sure your list is updated and current. We will be auto picking for teams when their time limit is up. If you do not have a list prepared it will select BPA (which usually means a cap hit you won't like). If you use lists we can auto select right away and move the draft much faster. So all GM's should cooperate here.
6. There is no dropping players in this league so make sure you draft well. You have to live with your mistakes and be cap compliant by the time the season starts.

Archived