The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Line Center/Speeding Up the Youth Movement

i actually found horvat scoring more with dorsette and hansen on his line...

I think that goes to show what Horvat's capabilities are. Imagine what he could do with actual offensive talent.

Our defence was the weakest part of the team all season long. Trade our best defenceman away, get a B-grade prospect back in return. This trade essentially boosts our center position for now and in the future, but makes us much worse at defence.

I counter with something like this. The Devils haven't openly said they want to go full-rebuild so they may be willing to take some middle aged players.

New Jersey have quite a few young, early to mid 20 year old defencemen who could turn out to become real gems or average NHL D-men, but that youth on the back-end is something we could use. Sure, Schneider's good play may have them looking better than they actually are, but they've shown flashes of good play. NJD currently have no true top line and very limited scoring depth which is something we can help them out with...

TO NJD: Kevin Bieksa + B-grade prospect like Grenier + 4th round pick

TO VAN: Adam Larsson

They give up a 20-30 point defenceman who was their best guy all year long after a controversial start, but they have Severson, Gelinas and Hamil coming up who are all still young. We give them Bieksa who is still capable of 20 minutes and can replace Larsson easily, plus some bits and pieces. If Grenier + 4th isn't good enough, give them Jensen + Bieksa for Larsson + 3rd round pick.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Larsson

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton

Our defence was the weakest part of the team all season long. Trade our best defenceman away, get a B-grade prospect back in return. This trade essentially boosts our center position for now and in the future, but makes us much worse at defence.

I counter with something like this. The Devils haven't openly said they want to go full-rebuild so they may be willing to take some middle aged players.

New Jersey have quite a few young, early to mid 20 year old defencemen who could turn out to become real gems or average NHL D-men, but that youth on the back-end is something we could use. Sure, Schneider's good play may have them looking better than they actually are, but they've shown flashes of good play. NJD currently have no true top line and very limited scoring depth which is something we can help them out with...

TO NJD: Kevin Bieksa + B-grade prospect like Grenier + 4th round pick

TO VAN: Adam Larsson

They give up a 20-30 point defenceman who was their best guy all year long after a controversial start, but they have Severson, Gelinas and Hamil coming up who are all still young. We give them Bieksa who is still capable of 20 minutes and can replace Larsson easily, plus some bits and pieces. If Grenier + 4th isn't good enough, give them Jensen + Bieksa for Larsson + 3rd round pick.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Larsson

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton

Speaking of counter proposals...

The Canucks haven't indicated that they want to rebuild either so maybe they might be willing to take some middle aged over the hill players as well. The Canucks also have some young centers that the Devils can use. The Canucks are lacking mobility and have limited depth when it comes to D prospects. So i propose.

TO NJD: Bo Horvat

To VAN: Travis Zajac + B grade prospect like Santini + 4th round pick

The Canucks give up a 40-50 point center who was probably their 4th best forward after the all star break but they have Gaunce, McCann and Cassels coming up who are still young. The Devils give up Zajac who can easily replace Horvat and is still capable of playing 2nd line minutes plus some bits and pieces. If Santini + 4th isn't good enough give them Gelinas + Zajac for Horvat + 3rd round pick.

Sorry couldn't resist. :P

In all seriousness you aren't going to entice a team into trading their best young assets for "bits and pieces". The same is true for the Canucks, Devils or any other team. I can't imagine you would ever want the Canucks to do a similar trade so why expect the Devils to consider something like this.

Archived