thejazz97

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

2 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

no

I accept that no means no.  

Edited by Alflives

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think he's a player who will surprise a lot of people once he's at our camp. I haven't watched him personally but, from what I'm hearing on multiple fronts, he might be the more skilled prospect compared with McCann and Horvat, at least when we're talking about a nose for the net.

Biggest question to me will be this: will he be a player who can generate chances by himself or will he need other players around him to compliment his style? We've seen many shooters in the NHL play poorly until actually provided with the right forward line. We've also seen proven shooters in the NHL fall off the charts when they lose their buddy that feeds them the puck all the time. (anyone remember Cheechoo? lol)

Having said that, I've also heard he has a drive to him. That, to me, bodes well for the question I just asked.

EDIT: Just realised I typed center when he's actually a right wing lol

Surprise everyone but the wise who've traversed the storied halls of CDC.

Yeah, I've heard the same about him - that he's a pure goal scorer. If we have players like McCann, Boeser, and Shinkaruk in our top 6, we should be able to score some goals. All of those guys have demonstrated the ability to put the puck in the net with precision and power. Hopefully it translates for all of them. 

I think, like I wrote before, that Boeser seems really smart on the ice, so I think he'll be able to generate chances regardless of who he's playing with. Obviously, he'd benefit enormously from a set-up man like Baer, but it remains to be seen who'll stick.

34 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

Surprise everyone but the wise who've traversed the storied halls of CDC.

Yeah, I've heard the same about him - that he's a pure goal scorer. If we have players like McCann, Boeser, and Shinkaruk in our top 6, we should be able to score some goals. All of those guys have demonstrated the ability to put the puck in the net with precision and power. Hopefully it translates for all of them. 

I think, like I wrote before, that Boeser seems really smart on the ice, so I think he'll be able to generate chances regardless of who he's playing with. Obviously, he'd benefit enormously from a set-up man like Baer, but it remains to be seen who'll stick.

I would love to see Baer develop into the player a lot of people seem to think he could develop into. Hopefully he does. However, like Virtanen, people need to learn to be patient with Baer. People seem to think 2 months is enough to judge a player. It's not.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I would love to see Baer develop into the player a lot of people seem to think he could develop into. Hopefully he does. However, like Virtanen, people need to learn to be patient with Baer. People seem to think 2 months is enough to judge a player. It's not.

What's your take on the amount of time it takes to get a sense of what the player can deliver?

I agree with your point on Baer. My take on it is that we won't know until he's had a full season and then some playing with consistency and holding a spot. He's described himself as a rhythm player, and every time he's talked about his game he's talked about it like a craft. McCann seems to be cut from the same cloth but obviously a separate character and player. With Baer it seems to boil down to how he's mentally positioned himself within any given team's hierarchy. He believes he should be one the most productive players because he believes he's one of the most skilled. I think this is why he started to struggle when Calgary started touting other prospects instead of him. If I were him, I'd be annoyed that the coach treats me like a rookie, because honestly, aside from getting muscled off the puck, Baer doesn't make many mistakes. He's easily the third best passer on the team, in my opinion, and has a ton more skill than Vey. I've seen some pretty useless comparisons between the two. Anyhow, I've seen more and more from him lately, so I'm hoping the trend continues.

tl;dr - Agreed. More time's needed before evaluations are made about our current prospects.

14 hours ago, NameFaker said:

What's your take on the amount of time it takes to get a sense of what the player can deliver?

I agree with your point on Baer. My take on it is that we won't know until he's had a full season and then some playing with consistency and holding a spot. He's described himself as a rhythm player, and every time he's talked about his game he's talked about it like a craft. McCann seems to be cut from the same cloth but obviously a separate character and player. With Baer it seems to boil down to how he's mentally positioned himself within any given team's hierarchy. He believes he should be one the most productive players because he believes he's one of the most skilled. I think this is why he started to struggle when Calgary started touting other prospects instead of him. If I were him, I'd be annoyed that the coach treats me like a rookie, because honestly, aside from getting muscled off the puck, Baer doesn't make many mistakes. He's easily the third best passer on the team, in my opinion, and has a ton more skill than Vey. I've seen some pretty useless comparisons between the two. Anyhow, I've seen more and more from him lately, so I'm hoping the trend continues.

tl;dr - Agreed. More time's needed before evaluations are made about our current prospects.

I have to agree that at least a full season should be needed to evaluate any player. The season can have so many ups and downs and it can be a long haul. Some players can start slow early on in the season and end on a high note. Other players have started a season only to seemingly feel the wear and tear as the season progresses and slow down as a result.

Not only that, a lot of people tend to forget what happens during previous seasons (especially on CDC) and focuses on previous seasons in general. Often, from a fan's perspective, while some people get impatient with these players right now, I think it's almost guaranteed these ups and downs will be forgotten in a year's time. lol

With Baer, I like your assessment. He is evidently gifted. Baer's also a pretty quiet type who's poker face reads like a tax form (seriously, I think he should do poker on the side lol). So he strikes me as someone who is determined to prove himself. Benning's even said he felt Baer was the best prospect out there during his time in the WHL. Coming from a scout of his resume (he's drafted a LOT of NHL'ers), that, to me, says a lot.

I'm pretty positive that the coaches see that he's improving. At the end of the day, the coach is the set of eyes you want to impress and not the fans with untrained eyes. I'm glad that WD is in charge and not most of CDC. ;)

Edited by The Lock

47 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I have to agree that at least a full season should be needed to evaluate any player. The season can have so many ups and downs and it can be a long haul. Some players can start slow early on in the season and end on a high note. Other players have started a season only to seemingly feel the wear and tear as the season progresses and slow down as a result.

Not only that, a lot of people tend to forget what happens during previous seasons (especially on CDC) and focuses on previous seasons in general. Often, from a fan's perspective, while some people get impatient with these players right now, I think it's almost guaranteed these ups and downs will be forgotten in a year's time. lol

With Baer, I like your assessment. He is evidently gifted. Baer's also a pretty quiet type who's poker face reads like a tax form (seriously, I think he should do poker on the side lol). So he strikes me as someone who is determined to prove himself. Benning's even said he felt Baer was the best prospect out there during his time in the WHL. Coming from a scout of his resume (he's drafted a LOT of NHL'ers), that, to me, says a lot.

I'm pretty positive that the coaches see that he's improving. At the end of the day, the coach is the set of eyes you want to impress and not the fans with untrained eyes. I'm glad that WD is in charge and not most of CDC. ;)

So there was something interesting I noted in that all-access video posted with Prust showing the plane off. Baer's response to the video - he looks at Prust for a sliver of a second before casting his eyes away, his face growing beet-red as he brings up his hand to conceal his face from Prust and the camera. Wasn't a poker moment for him - I can't read it as anything specific, but what it did tell me is that the kid is intensely sensitive. I think it's important to note he was also sitting on his own, not with the other players. Seemed to be a level of alienation at work - not sure how much. I'm curious whether the research Gaunce and Demko have done in college on psychology helps them, and I wonder if it could help a player like Baer, too.

On the note of Demko, I'm stoked he's studying psychology and philosophy (I'm a philosophy major with major biases)

6 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

So there was something interesting I noted in that all-access video posted with Prust showing the plane off. Baer's response to the video - he looks at Prust for a sliver of a second before casting his eyes away, his face growing beet-red as he brings up his hand to conceal his face from Prust and the camera. Wasn't a poker moment for him - I can't read it as anything specific, but what it did tell me is that the kid is intensely sensitive. I think it's important to note he was also sitting on his own, not with the other players. Seemed to be a level of alienation at work - not sure how much. I'm curious whether the research Gaunce and Demko have done in college on psychology helps them, and I wonder if it could help a player like Baer, too.

On the note of Demko, I'm stoked he's studying psychology and philosophy (I'm a philosophy major with major biases)

Would you say it's his own personal alienation from the rest of team? It's an interesting thought and would make sense given how quiet his is. I could relate somewhat actually as I tend to be a quiet type and people often look shocked whenever I do anything musically inclined. 

I really hope the kid develops into his potential which seems through the roof. At least we're seeing progress.

46 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

hate to burst your bubble but he's probably only taking psychology because he needs to take classes, not just play hockey

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NameFaker said:

YES WE FINALLY GOT ARE NEW FACIAL EXPRESSIONS Evaluation

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

YES WE FINALLY GOT ARE NEW FACIAL EXPRESSIONS Evaluation

Holmes would've deduced that you're a moron with just looking at your facial expressions

I can't say that it is absolutely irrelevant

Edited by Cowardrobertford
More expressions

After the scorers we have drafted, we also need to have them playmakers as well. I see here people think just because a player scores goals, he automatically increases goal scoring, where as to me playmakers are more valuable as they are the reason the goal happens; the set it up.

6 hours ago, KeslerBEAST said:

hate to burst your bubble but he's probably only taking psychology because he needs to take classes, not just play hockey

Doesn't really matter why he's taking them to be honest. The psychology courses can still come in handy for him mentally in the future.

2 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

After the scorers we have drafted, we also need to have them playmakers as well. I see here people think just because a player scores goals, he automatically increases goal scoring, where as to me playmakers are more valuable as they are the reason the goal happens; the set it up.

McCann's historically known as a playmaker and Horvat has those faceoffs down pat. Baer is also considered a playmaker. I'm thinking we'll be fine in that regard. ;)

Edited by The Lock