The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]Brayden Schenn

On 7/9/2016 at 6:01 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

So what are your opinions on him?  Could he be a future #1 C?  I've always liked him as a player, and he might slot in nicely in front of Sutter and Horvat.  Eriksson Schenn Boesner as a potential scoring line?

PHI has Giroux, Couturier, and Laughton.  He is probably in the ballpark of somewhere in the 6million range for a new contract.  Perhaps Schenn isn't in their future plans anymore?  What would it take to get him, if PHI is even interested in letting him go?

Had a great year and could be on his way to living up to his lofty expectations.  I would love to have him in our line-up, with him and one other very good forward we could possibly move the Sedins down a line.  With more ice time and juicy PP minutes this guy could really burn things up as long as he keeps progressing like he did last season.

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

Had a great year and could be on his way to living up to his lofty expectations.  I would love to have him in our line-up, with him and one other very good forward we could possibly move the Sedins down a line.  With more ice time and juicy PP minutes this guy could really burn things up as long as he keeps progressing like he did last season.

It's a pipe dream I'm sure, but then again Gudbranson was one too!

On 2016-07-09 at 3:20 PM, brian42 said:

He would be a perfect fit IMO.  Tanev for him? 

Yes that makes perfect sense. Let's suggest Tanev to an organization overloaded with young defencemen. I am sure they will jump at the offer since we offer them something they don't need and ask for something they want to keep. I like your thinking outside the box! That might just be crazy enough to work??? Or not.

On 2016-07-14 at 0:28 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

It's a pipe dream I'm sure, but then again Gudbranson was one too!

Let me get this straight here. A slow moving, unidimensional, puck possession disaster defenceman was a pipe dream to you? Is the NHL going back to the 70s and I missed the memo?

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Let me get this straight here. A slow moving, unidimensional, puck possession disaster defenceman was a pipe dream to you? Is the NHL going back to the 70s and I missed the memo?

I'm getting the feeling you have never watched Gudbranson play.......

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I'm getting the feeling you have never watched Gudbranson play.......

Never is wrong, but rarely is correct, simply becaue i rarely watched Florida games. i presume you watched Florida lot. Anyways, there is endless stats on players these days, so you don't really need to watch them a lot to know how they are doing. This is a summary analysis of Erik's stats:

What it really seems to mean is that Gudbranson just doesn’t have much offence to his game. His shifts were long enough that he could have had an impact at the offensive end of the ice, but he just didn’t. There’s room for that type of player, of course. Chris Tanev, for instance, is not offensively inclined and we like him just fine.

The difference between Tanev and Gudbranson, however, is that Tanev is elite when it comes to shot suppression. He led all NHL defencemen in shots against per 60 minutes relative to his team, meaning that compared to the rest of the Canucks, Tanev was absolutely incredible. Sure, you could argue that the lousiness of some of his teammates make his relative numbers look better, but it’s still clear that Tanev is brilliant at preventing shots.

Gudbranson, on the other hand, is at the other end of the spectrum. Among defencemen who played at least 400 minutes last season, Gudbranson was eighth worst in shots against per 60 minutes relative to his team.

Now of course, if you want a nasty player who will figth, he is perfect. The problem is that there is no need for someone like this anymore. Well of course, except in Edmonton, but is this really the model we want to follow?

Archived