The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Rout?

whytelight

I don't follow other sports very much.  But I'm interested in what is considered a rout.  In hockey I'd think that anything greater than a 4 goal difference is a rout:  4-1, 7-3, 5-2, etc....

But what is considered a rout in the NBA, MLB, CFL, NFL, Golf, soccer, etc...???  

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, whytelight said:

I don't follow other sports very much.  But I'm interested in what is considered a rout.  In hockey I'd think that anything greater than a 4 goal difference is a rout:  4-1, 7-3, 5-2, etc....

But what is considered a rout in the NBA, MLB, CFL, NFL, Golf, soccer, etc...???  

Thoughts?

You may want to reassess some of your numbers.

1 hour ago, whytelight said:

Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

You may want to reassess some of your numbers.

Hehe that's the first thing I noticed too. When you say "anything greater than a four goal difference", and proceed to list three scores that aren't greater than four goals....

A certain amount of a rout is the score, but I also think that equal weight has to go to the team that completely and utterly dominates the other team. In hockey, if you could win 4-1, but outshoot the other guys 50-17, and win each of the three fights in the game, I'd say that is a rout. As for other sports, the same general theory applies: partially the score, partially the statistical domination and partially the domination of the other team.

A rout may be hard to define, but everybody knows one when he or she sees one.

Archived