The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

No luck on that PP either but they've been cooking, throwing everything at the net. Archibald's taken Labate's place on PP1 now as Cull tries to load up the top unit. Great tip chance by Chaput that nearly worked, Archibald also had a backhand chance at the side of the net. Boucher with a couple of lasers from the right faceoff dot. Comets 0/4 on the PP but not for lack of trying... just need to translate that into some five on five momentum, they've had absolutely nothing there so far.

Last TV/radio timeout of the game, just under six minutes to go. This period has been the opposite of the last as the Devils only just got their first shot of the period - its been all Comets so far. Plenty of good possession shifts in the Devils' zone so far but Appleby has been stellar. Stopped Goldobin on a one timer off a Boucher pass from behind the net, as well as a glorious wraparound attempt from Archibald that he slightly bobbled with room on the post.

2-1 the final, Comets lose. Kearns took a penalty for covering the puck off of the faceoff with 36 seconds to go to give the Comets at 6 on 4 and they had their chances, but just can't tie it up. A largely uneventful game until the third when the Comets poured it on... but two weird/lucky goals give the Devils a win. Final shots are 26-20 for Utica after they outshot the Devils 16-4 in the final period. Appleby was outstanding for the Devils. Utica definitely could've won this one but they just had zero energy in the first two periods with nothing you could really call a serious scoring chance.... just left it too late.

The Comets PP looked impressive though, you can really see why they're ranked #1 in the league coming into today. Lots of focus on getting shots off quickly and recovering pucks after the shot attempts. Spent the bulk of their time controlling the puck in the offensive zone; Boucher, Chaput, Goldobin, Holm and Subban all looked good on the PP units. Boucher was probably the best Comet skater on the ice; from a purely offensive sense he has NHL level skill. He makes so many little crafty plays that other players just can't. Still needs work on his complete game if he's ever going to make it though. McEneny was the best defenseman, even excluding his goal at the tail end of the game. Very sound positionally and isn't caught on the wrong side of the puck very often. The Labate-Woods-Cassels unit is a really solid fourth line, all three can hit and create space with their physicality. D'Aoust also caught my eye as someone who may have something.... could be this year's Carcone if he can stick in the lineup and keep improving. Has nose for the net and doesn't look too out of place despite being undrafted out of junior.

The Comets play again tomorrow vs Rochester at 4:00 pst.

Three stars: 1) Appleby, 2) Demko, 3) Pietila

1st      
18:16 BNG Nathan Bastian (3) ASST: Austin Cangelosi (2), Jacob MacDonald (3)

2nd      
No Scoring
3rd      
16:00 BNG Blake Pietila (3) ASST: Jacob MacDonald (4), Yaroslav Dyblenko (2)  
18:48 UTI Evan McEneny (2) ASST: Philip Holm (6), Nikolay Goldobin (7)

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm sure it's nothing. But just to stir the pot, who could it be?! We do have an excess of winger depth, and injuries to our D core. Or are we revisiting a package with Gudbranson?

I love this stuff. 

florida panthers are scouting utica? 

2 minutes ago, Yotes said:

florida panthers are scouting utica? 

I don’t have a source to share, so take it with a grain of salt, but I’ve heard that the Canucks have been after huberdeau for a while.  

I wonder if they’re still cutting salary in Florida?  In this case the Canucks could upgrade the LW by packaging assets.

Baertschi + Goldobin for Huberdeau?

Vancouver has also been working hard at hitting the cap so they can access LTIR relife for Edler and Eriksson...  setting the stage to bring in some salary....

For the Panthers, they move 6.2 million in salary, and get a lesser but far more affordable replacement in Baertschi, and a skilled prospect.  

This is would be a big win for Vancouver.

5 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I don’t have a source to share, so take it with a grain of salt, but I’ve heard that the Canucks have been after huberdeau for a while.  

I wonder if they’re still cutting salary in Florida?  In this case the Canucks could upgrade the LW by packaging assets.

Baertschi + Goldobin for Huberdeau?

Vancouver has also been working hard at hitting the cap so they can access LTIR relife for Edler and Eriksson...  setting the stage to bring in some salary....

For the Panthers, they move 6.2 million in salary, and get a lesser but far more affordable replacement in Baertschi, and a skilled prospect.  

This is would be a big win for Vancouver.

Oh man for sure. Goldobin+Gudbranson for Huberdeau. We probably add but I like.

Comets getting underway at home vs Rochester at 4:00... Bachman gets the start with Garteig backing up, as Demko's been recalled to the Canucks. A bit of line shuffling as well; Rodin swaps lines with Goldobin, and Woods draws out for Molino. Chatfield is dressed in place of Subban on defence.

Boucher-Bancks-Rodin

Goldobin-Gaunce-Archibald

Molino-Chaput-D'Aoust

LaBate-Cassels-MacEwen

McEneny-Sifers

Holm-Brisebois

Sautner-Chatfield

Rochester with a parade to the penalty box late... Comets were on a 5 on 3 already and the Americans take another penalty. Full two minutes of 5 on 3 and the Comets somehow don't convert. Boucher hit the crossbar once and the post another time, he has a cannon of a shot. Goldobin fanned on a shot at the side of the net with a wide open cage... Archibald takes a penalty with ~15 seconds left to end the powerplay so no luck there.

Scoreless at the end of one period, shots are 10-8 for the Americans. Rochester had the run of play 5 on 5 in that period, with Bachman holding the fort for the first half of the frame, several nice saves from him including the aforementioned one timer. The Goldobin-Gaunce-Archibald was the best line at even strength with some nice shifts in the offensive zone. Rodin looks good out there too.

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Any progress reports for either Molino, Chatfield or Brisebois? In particular, have the defensemen maintained their level of play?

Molino/Brisebois didn't do much that was noticeable in that period; a lot of players were pretty invisible, shots were 8-1 Rochester at one point. Chatfield got some PP time on the second unit with Subban scratched, he's as smooth as ever, looks comfortable at the AHL level. This is only my second game watching them this year though (and the first for Molino/Chatfield), hard to get a read on everyone just yet. I'll keep an eye on those guys today though.

No shortage of PP chances for the Comets - already up to six opportunities in the game, although a few of those have been abbreviated by other penalties. Still 0-0, the teams are playing four on four right now. Cassels with a shot that nearly sneaks through and Rodin just can't quite reach the rebound. Americans go the other way on a 3-on-1 which results in a sharp glove save from Bachman.

33 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Molino/Brisebois didn't do much that was noticeable in that period; a lot of players were pretty invisible, shots were 8-1 Rochester at one point. Chatfield got some PP time on the second unit with Subban scratched, he's as smooth as ever, looks comfortable at the AHL level. This is only my second game watching them this year though (and the first for Molino/Chatfield), hard to get a read on everyone just yet. I'll keep an eye on those guys today though.

Thank you. Updates are much appreciated.

MacEwen scores shorthanded!!! Rodin with a great move to get around the outside defender and create a 2-on-1 off the rush, feeding MacEwen for the tap in. 1-0 Comets, 6:34 left in the second.

EDIT: MacEwen never actually touched it, although it sure looked like it. Goal goes to Rodin, that's his first of the year.

Archived