The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For all those who criticize and dismiss Gaunce, the argument is almost always "but he didn't score last year."  They're going to eat their words, whether this season or in the near future.

I agree, and I'll add, that while he didn't score, he certainly didn't get scored on against much either. 

On 2017-11-04 at 10:38 PM, Stierlitz said:

I watched Mogliny score a ton, it’s erie how much Goldy looks like Mogliny...  looking forward to the day Vanek gets traded and Goldy is called up for good. 

Like Vanek too, but we gotta give this kid a solid look in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just noticed they're playing, down 3-1 after 1period to a strong Charlotte team(8-3 record)

Goldobin gets another.

And Goldobin was also on the ice for all 3 of those first period goals against.  Not a good night for Goldy in the defensive zone.

18 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

And Goldobin was also on the ice for all 3 of those first period goals against.  Not a good night for Goldy in the defensive zone.

A work in progress, it would appear. Hope the kid gets it all together. Be nice to turn Hansen into more treasure that's a decade younger.

On 11/4/2017 at 5:32 PM, Yotes said:

florida panthers are scouting utica? 

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Subban for a 5th rounder.

There was a rumor floating around the Aud last weekend about a possible Subban for Valk trade.  It would help with the lack of center depth in the system and I don't see Subban in Vancouver's plans at this point.

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

There was a rumor floating around the Aud last weekend about a possible Subban for Valk trade.  It would help with the lack of center depth in the system and I don't see Subban in Vancouver's plans at this point.

I'd definitely be in favour of that - addressing Utica's biggest need while simultaneously shutting up a bunch of CDC whiners by removing one of the more controversial players in our system

19 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I dont know if Goldy will ever be that good in his own end. But he seems to have the offensive skill to make the jump to the nhl at some point, so put him on a line with 2 well rounded players to help mask his deficiencies and maybe help his game in his own end

12 hours ago, Yotes said:

I dont know if Goldy will ever be that good in his own end. But he seems to have the offensive skill to make the jump to the nhl at some point, so put him on a line with 2 well rounded players to help mask his deficiencies and maybe help his game in his own end

Why should any player have that kind of allowance made for him? Do you really think that's fair to the other 4 on the ice? It's not like they are asking him to pick fights - just to do the basics of defence consistently well. Something that should be coached into any young player from day one.

Look at Gaunce, I'm sure he might feel he could snag a lot more points if he could just let his line partners handle defence.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Why should any player have that kind of allowance made for him? Do you really think that's fair to the other 4 on the ice? It's not like they are asking him to pick fights - just to do the basics of defence consistently well. Something that should be coached into any young player from day one.

Look at Gaunce, I'm sure he might feel he could snag a lot more points if he could just let his line partners handle defence.

Time and again Green has said that he is not worried about the ppg for Gaunce or Virtanen. He wants them to be able to play games, regularly, without hurting the game outcome. That screams defence to me and even tho Gaunce has tended towards playing high in the ozone it likely comes from coaching. Gaunce is into his 3rd season with Green. Virtanen does a lot of the same play. I can see both these kids being coached thru video sessions. Trying to pass judgement on 2 and 3 year pros is a fool's game IMHO.  

Strange that nobody has talked about it yet, but the Comets lost 5-2 to Charlotte today. Didn't watch the game, probably for the best by the sounds of it. Shots were 31-26 for Charlotte, both teams going 1/5 on the PP. Bachman was in goal, McEneny earned third star honours in a losing effort. Also, Cull said in the postgame presser that Archibald is injured - he didn't play in this one. But Boucher and Demko have been returned to the Comets which should help shore things up somewhat.

Megna's goal:

Chaput's goal:

Next game is Wednesday on the road vs the Laval Rocket, at 4:30 pst.

Scoring
1st      
16:31 CHA Nicolas Roy (2) ASST: Aleksi Saarela (2) (SH)

2nd      
11:46 CHA Clark Bishop (1) ASST: Julien Gauthier (1), Andrew Poturalski (1)

19:43 UTI Jayson Megna (1) ASST: Carter Bancks (7), Evan McEneny (5) (SH)

3rd      
0:33 CHA Andrew Poturalski (4) ASST: Trevor Carrick (4), Phil Di Giuseppe (8) (PP)

4:50 CHA Janne Kuokkanen (1) ASST: Trevor Carrick (5), Nicolas Roy (4)

6:23 UTI Michael Chaput (3) ASST: Nikolay Goldobin (8), Philip Holm (8) (PP)

10:51 CHA Clark Bishop (2) ASST: Andrew Miller

Its a little surprising with the Utica Comets record being so average especially with the vets that they have but I guess constantly shuffling vets in and out has broken their ability to find a groove early, and having frequent call ups has hurt the team.  But even with the abundance of vets, none of them are really offensive stalwarts and mainly there is a huge hole down the middle.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:46 AM, UticaHockey said:

Curtis Valk? Why didn't the Canucks sign him when he was with the Comets rather than trade Subban for him if they thought he was worth keeping?

22 hours ago, alfstonker said:

So every player has to play a 2oo ft game and be responsible and good in both ends always?

Sure lets look at Gaunce, good in his own end and on the pk. So far in his brief but longer nhl career he has proven next to 0 offense.

Now is that bad, to me no, he is a good potential 4th liner or 13th forward currently. That said, should we deprieve an offensive player like Goldy a chance just because he floats and isnt the greatest defensively, no I dont think we should. We are doing the right thing with him by giving him more opportunites to round his game out in Utica this year. A late in season call up if we have a top 9 forward go down should definitely go to him though.

Gaunce this season is going to have very good linemates, there should be no reason why he cant score 5 goals before the season is over.

The main reason as to why Goldy should be given that allowance is simple to me. You can;t teach the skill set he has that is a gift, you can try to help teach him defense but it does come down the player having to commit to that. Personally I think he can improve to a degree but he will still be a floater at times and inconsistant away from the puck, he will probably always shy away from contact too.

I can live with him being subpar defensively if he can be a offensive help to our team down the road from helping the PP to scoring and setting up his linemates.

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its a little surprising with the Utica Comets record being so average especially with the vets that they have but I guess constantly shuffling vets in and out has broken their ability to find a groove early, and having frequent call ups has hurt the team.  But even with the abundance of vets, none of them are really offensive stalwarts and mainly there is a huge hole down the middle.

No surprise here. Outside of a few good pieces (mainly Demko, Goldobin and Boucher) the Comets have a poorly constructed roster. The lack of centers combined with too many vets that forces better players to sit and watch than some of the guys on the ice are problems.  I never bought into the hype that this team was a Calder Cup contender.  The Comets just completed a 5 game home stand and all they could come up with was one SO win.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

No surprise here. Outside of a few good pieces (mainly Demko, Goldobin and Boucher) the Comets have a poorly constructed roster. The lack of centers combined with too many vets that forces better players to sit and watch than some of the guys on the ice are problems.  I never bought into the hype that this team was a Calder Cup contender.  The Comets just completed a 5 game home stand and all they could come up with was one SO win.

You were critical of the new coach a couple of games back. Can you review to date?

Archived