The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC has officially become a Banana Republic

kingofsurrey

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just want to know exactly where the other management group did otherwise.

If you could point that out I'd be greatly appreciative

I'm no fan of the B.C. Liberals but at least things were moving up here and they were lots of jobs, not so much now. In an ideal world I would like a proper Conservative government but that's pretty much impossible given how left leaning the big centres are in B.C. I will say this though we elected a Haisla guy named Ellis Ross here and I really liked what he had to say, after many years of Robin Austin (from the NDP) being completely useless it wouldn't be hard to be better.

And the question still stands:

Are you (speaking to everyone but especially King of Surrey) comfortable with American oil funding the B.C. environmental movement and why do you think they are doing so? Why would they want to shut Canadian oil down?

I know this hasn't been common knowledge since the media is also in on it but the facts are out there and can't always be covered up.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I rarely praise the NDP.  Its been 16 yrs since they have in power...  Hard to say how they will do.

I do criticize the BC Liberals regularly though. Just tired of seeing dirty off shore corrupt money ruining our province......  

We live in one of the best  places in the world and it is just a shame seeing what has happened to this province the last 10 years . 

you must be joking?

You're almost at warhippy praise for the ndp.

3 hours ago, gerry35 said:

I'm no fan of the B.C. Liberals but at least things were moving up here and they were lots of jobs, not so much now. In an ideal world I would like a proper Conservative government but that's pretty much impossible given how left leaning the big centres are in B.C. I will say this though we elected a Haisla guy named Ellis Ross here and I really liked what he had to say, after many years of Robin Austin (from the NDP) being completely useless it wouldn't be hard to be better.

If there's not so many jobs now....did that change in only 3 months?

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yes, everyone up north has pretty much lost  their jobs since the election....  

That is how polarized our province is.  People just want to make up stories to blame political parties....   Paint the picture Black or White....

Really hoping a minority government can be a good thing for BC.   Really hoping all 3 political parties can work together and share ideas - take the best policy from all 3 parties...

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Actually it started with the Federal election in 2015, before the election many people were afraid the the federal Liberals or NDP would get in so there was a noticeable slow down, having the NDP in Alberta slowed things down even more and with the provincial election here the same wait and see with businesess came into effect again. All of the above governments are not business friendly and people know it so yes, it wasn't just 3 months but as pro business governments were defeated in the last couple of years each time there was a slow down. There is very little difference between the Federal Liberals and NDP so you are technically correct but I count them to be pretty much the same parties.  My wife is on the chamber of commerce here so I know a bit about how the business people have been thinking about how things are going.

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, everyone up north has pretty much lost  their jobs since the election....  

That is how polarized our province is.  People just want to make up stories to blame political parties....   Paint the picture Black or White....

Really hoping a minority government can be a good thing for BC.   Really hoping all 3 political parties can work together and share ideas - take the best policy from all 3 parties...

If the left had any kind of sense yes a minority government could work, but they can't even figure out there are only 2 sexes of people so I don't have much hope for that working. That's only one thing they are deluded on..........

Again I ask you to at least answer the question I posed earlier instead of ignoring it.

I'm not upset at you or Warhippy, just asking questions and trying to have a reasonable discussion. I think most people want to have good government but just differ on how it should be done.

27 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

If the left had any kind of sense yes a minority government could work, but they can't even figure out there are only 2 sexes of people so I don't have much hope for that working. That's only one thing they are deluded on..........

Do you honestly believe there are only 2 sexes of people ?

In my life i have met many people that experience many varied forms of sexuality.  Myself i am totally hetero and i have kids etc...  but i can appreciate that there other people with a sexuality very different than mine...

Just saying.    Wonderbread is boring...  I  can appreciate all the different people in our society...  It is interesting . I don't need everyone to be like me. 

18 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Actually it started with the Federal election in 2015, before the election many people were afraid the the federal Liberals or NDP would get in so there was a noticeable slow down, having the NDP in Alberta slowed things down even more and with the provincial election here the same wait and see with businesess came into effect again. All of the above governments are not business friendly and people know it so yes, it wasn't just 3 months but as pro business governments were defeated in the last couple of years each time there was a slow down. There is very little difference between the Federal Liberals and NDP so you are technically correct but I count them to be pretty much the same parties.  My wife is on the chamber of commerce here so I know a bit about how the business people have been thinking about how things are going.

The NDP in Alberta doesn't have much say or sway with jobs in BC.  Those living in BC and working in Alberta should have just moved if they didn't like it here in BC; but they also have no dog in that fight due to the fact the NDP did very little to cost anyone their jobs.  That was all oil prices and corporate lay offs by and large.

I'm just curious because I used to do a fair bit of work up north.  I don'\t recall the northern half of the province ever coming back from the softwood failures of the 90s or recovering from the sustainable forests practices act.  In fact since the Libs took power the north has shed more jobs and lost more money than at any other point in provincial history.

The numbers don't really lie there.  Simply put, the Libs were as bad for the north as any other government has been for simply ignoring them promising the world yet consolidating votes in the okanagan and vancouver areas

18 hours ago, gerry35 said:

You don't think that had anything to do with external factors outside of any politician's control, for example oil prices?

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The NDP in Alberta doesn't have much say or sway with jobs in BC.  Those living in BC and working in Alberta should have just moved if they didn't like it here in BC; but they also have no dog in that fight due to the fact the NDP did very little to cost anyone their jobs.  That was all oil prices and corporate lay offs by and large.

I'm just curious because I used to do a fair bit of work up north.  I don'\t recall the northern half of the province ever coming back from the softwood failures of the 90s or recovering from the sustainable forests practices act.  In fact since the Libs took power the north has shed more jobs and lost more money than at any other point in provincial history.

The numbers don't really lie there.  Simply put, the Libs were as bad for the north as any other government has been for simply ignoring them promising the world yet consolidating votes in the okanagan and vancouver areas

Just reporting what I know of from this area, not exactly sure about other areas in the north. The buzz around each election was a wait and see to who would get into power, when the respective governments were defeated in each of the elections.

You are correct the softwood industry is not what it was before the crash in the 90's. It couldn't run at the same pace as it was so it was destined to slow down. A couple of factors I would think that led to the decline were increased levels of bureaucracy when it came to the environment to the point where it became ridiculous (in typical human fashion the pendulum went from one extreme to the other side instead of meeting in the middle) There is a push to basically turn the entire coast into a park (see Raincoast funded by American oil) The third factor is that quite frankly the mills in particular were very poorly run and had crappy employees to boot. Today we have one bigger mill and even better a bunch of little guys running small mills and filling niche markets. I would say that is an improvement there. 

As I said earlier I'm no fan of the B.C. Liberals wanting a responsible Conservative or even Liberal/Conservative coalition, maybe the best hing that could have happened was that the previous government was defeated so a new and hopefully better option takes it's place. 

4 hours ago, taxi said:

You don't think that had anything to do with external factors outside of any politician's control, for example oil prices?

Absolutely that had a little bit to do with it, but prices go up and down. I'm just reporting what the buzz was at the time which had to do mostly with politics. It was common to hear concerning the different projects that the decision makers were waiting to see what happened in the different elections since at least publicly the Federal Liberals and all NDP aren't very business friendly.  

For the record I would rather see Canadian oil and gas be kept in Canada and shipped south to the U.S. and points south instead of shipping it out to Asia. I just feel really bad to see so many god people here struggling because of decisions make by people who could care less about the people here. Just this week my neighbour had to move back to Victoria because work has gotten scarce around here. Just want to see this area prosper for a change.........

33 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

Absolutely that had a little bit to do with it, but prices go up and down. I'm just reporting what the buzz was at the time which had to do mostly with politics. It was common to hear concerning the different projects that the decision makers were waiting to see what happened in the different elections since at least publicly the Federal Liberals and all NDP aren't very business friendly.  

For the record I would rather see Canadian oil and gas be kept in Canada and shipped south to the U.S. and points south instead of shipping it out to Asia. I just feel really bad to see so many god people here struggling because of decisions make by people who could care less about the people here. Just this week my neighbour had to move back to Victoria because work has gotten scarce around here. Just want to see this area prosper for a change.........

I agree with most of what you post but in this case I would say your neighbor hit the jackpot. Victoria is a beautiful city. 

Archived