The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC has officially become a Banana Republic

kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Just reporting what I know of from this area, not exactly sure about other areas in the north. The buzz around each election was a wait and see to who would get into power, when the respective governments were defeated in each of the elections.

You are correct the softwood industry is not what it was before the crash in the 90's. It couldn't run at the same pace as it was so it was destined to slow down. A couple of factors I would think that led to the decline were increased levels of bureaucracy when it came to the environment to the point where it became ridiculous (in typical human fashion the pendulum went from one extreme to the other side instead of meeting in the middle) There is a push to basically turn the entire coast into a park (see Raincoast funded by American oil) The third factor is that quite frankly the mills in particular were very poorly run and had crappy employees to boot. Today we have one bigger mill and even better a bunch of little guys running small mills and filling niche markets. I would say that is an improvement there. 

As I said earlier I'm no fan of the B.C. Liberals wanting a responsible Conservative or even Liberal/Conservative coalition, maybe the best hing that could have happened was that the previous government was defeated so a new and hopefully better option takes it's place. 

In my opinion a big part of the problem with the softwood industry, is the fact that we export so many more raw logs than we ever have before. 1000's of jobs have been lost in communities all over the province due to mill closures.

1 hour ago, gerry35 said:

Yes is probably is, haven't been there for over 20 years. Up here though we have a nice community and large expanses of wilderness just out the door. It depends what you want and are used to,  I wouldn't trade it for anything..................

Awesome.  No price can be put on clean air,  good hiking, beautiful streams/rivers and easy access to nature.  Priceless and it is gold for the soul.

You are a lucky man if you have all of this close to where you live. 

7 hours ago, canuckfromlangley said:

In my opinion a big part of the problem with the softwood industry, is the fact that we export so many more raw logs than we ever have before. 1000's of jobs have been lost in communities all over the province due to mill closures.

I agree, this is the biggest problem. Canada has a terrible habit of selling the raw product. 

7 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Yes is probably is, haven't been there for over 20 years. Up here though we have a nice community and large expanses of wilderness just out the door. It depends what you want and are used to,  I wouldn't trade it for anything..................

I hear you I love the north, however winter can be rough. I understand your concerns years ago I had to leave the Okanagan for Alberta for work.

9 hours ago, canuckfromlangley said:

I agree which is why it is good to see little guys successfully running small mills now. There seem to have been 2 basic problems with the mills around here, poor management and far too many useless and lazy employees, the self entitlement of some of these guys was legendary. The demise of the pulp mills in Prince Rupert and Kitimat and the 2 big lumber mills in Terrace were mostly to those two factors in my opinion. The one mill in Terrace is up and going again but they got rid of the dead wood if you pardon the pun before they opened again.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I hear you I love the north, however winter can be rough. I understand your concerns years ago I had to leave the Okanagan for Alberta for work.

Once we hit October and the monsoons come it is a bit rough to be honest, November can go either way. December and January are the toughest with the long nights and sometimes lots of snow. February can be really nice with sun and cool temperatures and more daylight. I would say from February to October are great and from April to October there is no better place to be. Having a couple of tough winter months sure makes you appreciate the spring and summer :)  Of course people that love skiing and snowmobiling can have a great time in the winter months.

7 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

Once we hit October and the monsoons come it is a bit rough to be honest, November can go either way. December and January are the toughest with the long nights and sometimes lots of snow. February can be really nice with sun and cool temperatures and more daylight. I would say from February to October are great and from April to October there is no better place to be. Having a couple of tough winter months sure makes you appreciate the spring and summer :)  Of course people that love skiing and snowmobiling can have a great time in the winter months.

Yup I found this out when I first moved to Alberta.

14 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I agree with most of what you post but in this case I would say your neighbor hit the jackpot. Victoria is a beautiful city. 

Agreed, sadly though when the government allowed Vancouver to institute that tax Victoria became the 2nd option and prices sky rocketed.

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh this I didn't know. I figured it would be Kelowna and then trickle out to Penticton and Vernon.

First hit was surrey then Victoria then the Okanagan.  Kinda rippled outwards to the closest possible urban centers.  Victoria was already approaching unaffordable long before this but damn...

The Okanagan is actually outpacing the island and lower mainland now for cost of living issues though so there's that.

Some hope though...Ontario/Toronto is supposedly experiencing the first steps in a true housing crash so....

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

First hit was surrey then Victoria then the Okanagan.  Kinda rippled outwards to the closest possible urban centers.  Victoria was already approaching unaffordable long before this but damn...

The Okanagan is actually outpacing the island and lower mainland now for cost of living issues though so there's that.

Some hope though...Ontario/Toronto is supposedly experiencing the first steps in a true housing crash so....

Well that other thread shows how easy it is to manipulate the rules. Pathetic really.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well that other thread shows how easy it is to manipulate the rules. Pathetic really.

I'd go further and simply say the truth

it was a failed attempt to look tough by the former government and was implemented so poorly that they refused to accept the truth of it all.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We really need to turf career politicians is what needs to happen.  Only allowed to serve 1 term for say 10 years or 3 electoral cycles unless they can prove a measure of success while in office.

The B.C liberals are a complete joke had there have been a viable option they wouldn't even have won more then one election.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We really need to turf career politicians is what needs to happen.  Only allowed to serve 1 term for say 10 years or 3 electoral cycles unless they can prove a measure of success while in office.

No golden parachutes aswell

On 2017-09-23 at 7:14 AM, gerry35 said:

I agree which is why it is good to see little guys successfully running small mills now. There seem to have been 2 basic problems with the mills around here, poor management and far too many useless and lazy employees, the self entitlement of some of these guys was legendary. The demise of the pulp mills in Prince Rupert and Kitimat and the 2 big lumber mills in Terrace were mostly to those two factors in my opinion. The one mill in Terrace is up and going again but they got rid of the dead wood if you pardon the pun before they opened again.

Unions acting like corporations ruin business as well.

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Politics should be service to society    Not pigs hording food at the trough ....

Tell that to some guy on a reserve. You can't look at things and measure them against a utopia. Humans are animals, like pigs. Don't expect anything more. Been this way since we lost our tails, I suppose. 

Archived